What is the difference in terms of bleaching power between thick bleach and ordinary 'thin' bleach ?

Posted 18th Mar
Thick bleach contains a thickening agent which makes it thicker so it clings to lavatory surfaces for instance, but if I wanted to make a 10% solution by weight or volume, how much should I use of thick bleach
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

32 Comments
it's only a gelling agent so it will be sub 0.5% Alkyl ether or the like, dilute as normal 90% water. Sodium hypochlorite content will be the same.
9 parts water to 1 part bleach
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 06:36

it's only a gelling agent so it will be sub 0.5% Alkyl ether or the like, …it's only a gelling agent so it will be sub 0.5% Alkyl ether or the like, dilute as normal 90% water. Sodium hypochlorite content will be the same.

100ccs of thick bleach weighs 265 gms.
Edited by: "jasee" 18th Mar
Hacked18/03/2020 06:38

9 parts water to 1 part bleach

This is the classic formula, I think, using thin 5.25% available chlorine bleach
jasee18/03/2020 06:59

100ccs of thick bleach weighs 265 gms.

Your bleach doesn't have a density of over 2....it will be 1- 1.1 But the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite ... its anywhere from 1 to 6% the rest of it is water ... sodium hydroxide is added as a stabilising agent. but you won't know specific quantities is in your specific brand of bleach without lab equipment. you're overthinking it. Unless you're trying to make chloroform in which case I wont be helping anymore
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 07:13

Your bleach doesn't have a density of over 2....it will be 1- 1.1 But the …Your bleach doesn't have a density of over 2....it will be 1- 1.1 But the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite ... its anywhere from 1 to 6% the rest of it is water ... sodium hydroxide is added as a stabilising agent. but you won't know specific quantities is in your specific brand of bleach without lab equipment. you're overthinking it. Unless you're trying to make chloroform in which case I wont be helping anymore

I'm not interested in making anything other than !0% solution from thick bleach thanks
jasee18/03/2020 07:31

I'm not interested in making anything other than !0% solution from thick …I'm not interested in making anything other than !0% solution from thick bleach thanks

Then 90% water is what you need. unless you have a spare mass spectrometer...
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 07:37

Then 90% water is what you need. unless you have a spare mass …Then 90% water is what you need. unless you have a spare mass spectrometer...

Ok, to 10% thick bleach by weight or by volume? It's easier to weigh thick bleach.
Obviously I don't want to use too much bleach or too little.
jasee18/03/2020 07:43

Ok, to 10% thick bleach by weight or by volume? It's easier to weigh thick …Ok, to 10% thick bleach by weight or by volume? It's easier to weigh thick bleach. Obviously I don't want to use too much bleach or too little.

100ml of Regular Bleach, 900ml of Cold Tap Water
Edited by: "Norseg" 18th Mar

Ok, to 10% thick bleach by weight or by volume? It's easier to weigh thick …Ok, to 10% thick bleach by weight or by volume? It's easier to weigh thick bleach. Obviously I don't want to use too much bleach or too little.

volume will be the most accurate for you
Norseg18/03/2020 07:55

100ml of Regular Bleach, 900ml of Cold Tap Water

I am talking about thick bleach, the density of normal (regular?) bleach is I think 1.17

if you're bored and want to do it by weight, use a density of 1.1 for the bleach 9.0909*g of bleach per 900g of water

But this is total overthinking it territoty
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 07:59

volume will be the most accurate for you

Actually it's my mistake, I have a 100ml meauring cylinder but I also have a 250ml measuring cylinder. I was using the latter.
Oh dear
jasee18/03/2020 08:05

I am talking about thick bleach, the density of normal (regular?) bleach …I am talking about thick bleach, the density of normal (regular?) bleach is I think 1.17

density and viscosity are different things
jasee18/03/2020 08:16

Actually it's my mistake, I have a 100ml meauring cylinder but I also have …Actually it's my mistake, I have a 100ml meauring cylinder but I also have a 250ml measuring cylinder. I was using the latter.Oh dear

so your density is 1.059 .. on provision that you measure is lab accurate
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 08:21

Apparently, however my scale indicates only to grams. I had one a long time which indicated to 0.00 gms which cost at the time over £1200 IRC, but it died.
Also there were small bubbles in the bleach. I couldn't wait for them to rise (thus lowering the apparent density)
Edited by: "jasee" 18th Mar
Please put us out our misery. What normal activity will need such a stringent measure of bleach. I’d think that 8-12% in most use cases will be more than adequate. Erring only the side of stronger depending on the application.
Oneday7718/03/2020 08:38

Please put us out our misery. What normal activity will need such a …Please put us out our misery. What normal activity will need such a stringent measure of bleach. I’d think that 8-12% in most use cases will be more than adequate. Erring only the side of stronger depending on the application.

10% will do I think
The important point here is, I think to wait 5 minutes
Well I came across it through this
cdc.gov/rod…tml
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 08:21

On a final point, is this concentration likely to dissolve a plastic container?
jasee18/03/2020 09:04

On a final point, is this concentration likely to dissolve a plastic …On a final point, is this concentration likely to dissolve a plastic container?

it comes in a plastic container .... so yes it's fine. don't put it in metal.
jasee18/03/2020 08:52

10% will do I thinkThe important point here is, I think to wait 5 …10% will do I thinkThe important point here is, I think to wait 5 minutesWell I came across it through this https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

In that case, unless it’s a good surface or an area you have regular skin contact with 10-12% would be fine.
As you say, letting it dwell first is more important.
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 09:07

it comes in a plastic container .... so yes it's fine. don't put it in …it comes in a plastic container .... so yes it's fine. don't put it in metal.

No, but I want to keep the dilute solution in other plastic containers. I put some in a polystyrene container and after a day it seemed a bit cloudy
Ringfinger18/03/2020 11:53

Why mess about diluting bleach? Just buy some chlortabs and use a clean …Why mess about diluting bleach? Just buy some chlortabs and use a clean 5ltr container. Pop tab into 5ltrs of cold water.Like this, but you can buy cheaper. Just grabbed this link for expediency

This gives 100 ppm what is required is 5000 ppm available Chlorine
jasee18/03/2020 12:21

This gives 100 ppm what is required is 5000 ppm available Chlorine

Damn the mix you want is strong.
jasee18/03/2020 08:05

I am talking about thick bleach, the density of normal (regular?) bleach …I am talking about thick bleach, the density of normal (regular?) bleach is I think 1.17

Just get regular blezch
Thick is regular isn't it?
Edited by: "Norseg" 18th Mar
jasee18/03/2020 09:32

No, but I want to keep the dilute solution in other plastic containers. I …No, but I want to keep the dilute solution in other plastic containers. I put some in a polystyrene container and after a day it seemed a bit cloudy

You shouldn't really store it as it degrades quickly once you've diluted it. The cloudiness is probably the salts falling out of solution. You ought to make and use as needed.
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 14:04

You shouldn't really store it as it degrades quickly once you've diluted …You shouldn't really store it as it degrades quickly once you've diluted it. The cloudiness is probably the salts falling out of solution. You ought to make and use as needed.

Ok, well that seems to happen here over several hours. would it last longer if real distilled water was used.?
It's a bit impractical to make when it's needed.
jasee18/03/2020 14:22

Ok, well that seems to happen here over several hours. would it last …Ok, well that seems to happen here over several hours. would it last longer if real distilled water was used.?It's a bit impractical to make when it's needed.

No, it will still degrade. you should get 18-24 hours out of a mix. You'd have to add caustic to stabilise but that would alter your PH which inturn negates the bleaching effect of the sodium
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 14:34

No, it will still degrade. you should get 18-24 hours out of a mix. You'd …No, it will still degrade. you should get 18-24 hours out of a mix. You'd have to add caustic to stabilise but that would alter your PH which inturn negates the bleaching effect of the sodium

Thanks, It's not very practical then. However useful in an emergency.
What is a simple thing to neutralise it, other than water?
The remainder can be used for mopping up, I suppose.
Water will only dilute it until it decomposes. if you want to netralise bleach Hydrogen peroxide will do it. how much are you making??

what do you want to use it for? how do you want to use it? It sounds like you want to use it for mass deep cleans or something?
Edited by: "sillyoldbear" 18th Mar
sillyoldbear18/03/2020 15:51

Water will only dilute it until it decomposes. if you want to netralise …Water will only dilute it until it decomposes. if you want to netralise bleach Hydrogen peroxide will do it. how much are you making??what do you want to use it for? how do you want to use it? It sounds like you want to use it for mass deep cleans or something?

Not that much only one litre or less.Just to clean up after people and myself have come into a house and unavoidable touched things before getting to the soap and water. Contamination remains active and/or dormant for almost any time from hours to many days, depending on what it falls on and what misinformation you have read.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants