Expired

What is the etiquette for picking up dog poo in fields or off the beaten track?

Found 3rd Aug 2013
I know this is a slightly crude and disgusting topic but it's really been bugging me.

I take my dog on a variety of walks including footpaths on a roads where I always pick my dog's waste up (in public), but when I go via the back of my house through the fields I usually let my dog go and leave it, as long as it's not along the main public footpath.

Additionally the field is already full of cow pats and sheep droppings... However I was challenged by a lady the other day who stated cow/sheep poo is very different to dog waste so I should pick it up, even if it's off the supposed beaten track. She stated that it would affect the milk, even though I responded with the cows in the back of the fields behind me are all heifers (male)...She then said it would affect the taste of the meat when sold, which I thought was total rubbish.

Thanks
David

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
41 Comments

I doubt the cows would eat the dog ****, but if it was me and i knew my dog has done a poo i would pick it up, nothing worse then stepping in dog poo no matter where it is..:3

Original Poster

PinkHaven

I doubt the cows would eat the dog ****, but if it was me and i knew my … I doubt the cows would eat the dog ****, but if it was me and i knew my dog has done a poo i would pick it up, nothing worse then stepping in dog poo no matter where it is..:3

But you wouldn't mind stepping in a cow pat or sheep's droppings through a field?

Why do you think it's OK to leave your dog's mess on someone else's property? What else is there is not relevant.

Cows and sheep live outdoors and are not really pets. Dogs are pets and there are laws that say you need to clean up after our dog.

Cows and sheep eat grass and cereals, dogs eat meat, there is a difference. Personally I do not think it is right to let your dog do its mess on anyone elses property bar your own.

Hi, I field the calls for my local council's environmental health department and we're advised to tell dog owners to always remove their dog's waste, no matter where it is due to it being a potential health hazard. As livestock has an "organic" diet there are no harmful parasites in their waste. (That's why horse manure doesn't have to be removed from roads)
Can't see there being any truth in the spoiled meat and milk theory buy fellow dog walkers/ramblers could step in the harmful dog waste, walk in into properties,vehicles etc.

isn't a heifer a female?
And I think you should pick up dog poo whatever. If another dog, fox or cat comes in contact with the poo, they can get whatever parasites/diseases the first animal has. Not to mention children getting infections. Toxocara being the first that springs to mind.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/f/fouling(poo)/toxocariasis.aspx#.Uf17EaPTXFo

diamonddave

But you wouldn't mind stepping in a cow pat or sheep's droppings through … But you wouldn't mind stepping in a cow pat or sheep's droppings through a field?

to be honest yes, dog crap stinks and is disgusting.

*but not buy

Original Poster

PinkHaven

to be honest yes, dog crap stinks and is disgusting.

And cow pats and sheep droppings have floral notes of lavender?

Original Poster

bigmuffins

isn't a heifer a female?And I think you should pick up dog poo whatever. … isn't a heifer a female?And I think you should pick up dog poo whatever. If another dog, fox or cat comes in contact with the poo, they can get whatever parasites/diseases the first animal has. Not to mention children getting infections. Toxocara being the first that springs to mind. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/f/fouling(poo)/toxocariasis.aspx#.Uf17EaPTXFo

You are right with heifer's being female. They are definitely male though as they hang very prominently. Thanks for the response all the same, didn't know dog waste caused such harm.

I'm the same, if my dog does a poo anywhere near a path or somewhere where people might go I will pick it up, but if he goes somewhere out of the way I leave it

diamonddave

The smell of herbivore manure is very different from the smell of carnivore manure. I don't often come into contact with cow and sheep droppings but horse manure is not unpleasant.

You shouldn't be changing your habit because of what posters on here think. You should be doing it for the safety of the livestock and consideration for the landowner.

Original Poster

ceres

The smell of herbivore manure is very different from the smell of … The smell of herbivore manure is very different from the smell of carnivore manure. I don't often come into contact with cow and sheep droppings but horse manure is not unpleasant.You shouldn't be changing your habit because of what posters on here think. You should be doing it for the safety of the livestock and consideration for the landowner.

Thanks for your opinion but I'm very much my own person so again thanks for your input but you're very much waffling now. I asked an open question relying on debate- you've given yours and I appreciate it but you seem to be a fan of repetition. Good night and all the best!

diamonddave

Thanks for your opinion but I'm very much my own person so again thanks … Thanks for your opinion but I'm very much my own person so again thanks for your input but you're very much waffling now. I asked an open question relying on debate- you've given yours and I appreciate it but you seem to be a fan of repetition. Good night and all the best!

I'll see your 'waffling' and raise you 'squirming'.

I would pick it up, dog muck stinks and sticks to your shoes cow pat doesn't.

On another note - and I don't know the answer to this but... Should you really be letting your dog run round the farmers field? Shouldn't you stick to the footpath, and if the dog isn't obedient enough then shouldn't you have him on a lead?

Original Poster

nbuuifx

I would pick it up, dog muck stinks and sticks to your shoes cow pat … I would pick it up, dog muck stinks and sticks to your shoes cow pat doesn't.On another note - and I don't know the answer to this but... Should you really be letting your dog run round the farmers field? Shouldn't you stick to the footpath, and if the dog isn't obedient enough then shouldn't you have him on a lead?

It's an open field leading to another field, then another after that (basically acres beyond acres and I'm on speaking terms with the farmer and he knows where I live). Would you keep your dog on a lead all the time with no other dogs about? (Btw I have a female/SHE black lab that wouldn't say boo to a goose and is more obedient than a lot of human beings- thank you very much). Any further questions?
Edited by: "diamonddave" 3rd Aug 2013

Why not buy an acre from your friend?

Dirty dogs

diamonddave

It's an open field leading to another field, then another after that … It's an open field leading to another field, then another after that (basically acres beyond acres and I'm on speaking terms with the farmer and he knows where I live). Would you keep your dog on a lead all the time with no other dogs about? (Btw I have a female/SHE black lab that wouldn't say boo to a goose and is more obedient than a lot of human beings- thank you very much). Any further questions?

I have a female Lab too, personally I wouldn't walk across a field that had no public footpath and if it did have a public footpath then I would stick to the footpath. Therefore any poo done would be on the footpath and would therefore require picking up so that the next person doesn't stand in it! I'm quite lucky that our house backs on to a 12 acre council owned field which is perfect for dog walking.

Original Poster

He only rents and the woman who owns acre after acre won't sell. And dealhunter thanks for the cracking response and explanation...

Original Poster

nbuuifx

I have a female Lab too, personally I wouldn't walk across a field that … I have a female Lab too, personally I wouldn't walk across a field that had no public footpath and if it did have a public footpath then I would stick to the footpath. Therefore any poo done would be on the footpath and would therefore require picking up so that the next person doesn't stand in it! I'm quite lucky that our house backs on to a 12 acre council owned field which is perfect for dog walking.

But the field leads through a gate from the back of our fence and there is more than 12 acres but I tend not to stick to the path as my dog loves playing in the long grass and heading to the waterhole for a drink which again is beyond the normal path. Surely common sense has got to come into play? The fields are very quiet (see one person every other day) so how long does it take for dog poo to waste away or is that not the point?

diamonddave

The fields are very quiet (see one person every other day) so how long … The fields are very quiet (see one person every other day) so how long does it take for dog poo to waste away or is that not the point?

Correct. That's not the point.

Frayedflares

Hi, I field the calls for my local council's environmental health … Hi, I field the calls for my local council's environmental health department and we're advised to tell dog owners to always remove their dog's waste, no matter where it is due to it being a potential health hazard. As livestock has an "organic" diet there are no harmful parasites in their waste. (That's why horse manure doesn't have to be removed from roads)Can't see there being any truth in the spoiled meat and milk theory buy fellow dog walkers/ramblers could step in the harmful dog waste, walk in into properties,vehicles etc.

Then perhaps you need to speak to whomever makes policy/decisions and gave you that advice, because it sounds decidedly poo to me. My Dog has an organic diet - that's not the point. Dog's feces contains this lovely fellow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocara_canis
Which can cause health issues for humans (blindness). Cats and foxes carry it too. I'm no expert but i'd hazard that livestock/horses, being herbivores, waste contains far less or nothing of significant risk to humans. The rest of your advice is sound.

OP here's some useful info: http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=50
Personally it depends where he goes whether I clean up after my dog. Generally it's whilst running through woodland so it's left, if he decides to crap on the paths through, public footpaths through fields, open fields etc I clean it up. It disgusts me hugely seeing piles n piles of crap from other dog owners along public footpaths where kids often ride there bike etc.
Edited by: "capriboycraig" 4th Aug 2013

By far the worst offenders are the idiots who bag it up (obviously only when someone's watching) & then later throw the bags of **it into the bushes!

g1bbuk

By far the worst offenders are the idiots who bag it up (obviously only … By far the worst offenders are the idiots who bag it up (obviously only when someone's watching) & then later throw the bags of **it into the bushes!

I find rather delightful.....

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/webimage/1.5344526.1358943551!/image/598247605.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/598247605.jpg

Not.

I agree if your dog poops anywhere it is your responsibility to clean it up no matter where it is. There's nothing like the feeling of fresh warm poop around your fingers through a poly bag. X)

diamonddave

You asked for peoples opinion, you got it. You dont seem to like it or agree with it then next time dont ask for it. You can either pick up after your dog or not that is your choice. No cow poo and sheep poo dont have floral notes of lavender but as other people have stated to due to differences in diet coming into contact with dog poo can bring health risks.

capriboycraig, you leave it if it's in woodland. What about the Walkers/ramblers, including children, who walk through that woodland? Can't bear seeing dog poo anywhere myself. I wouldn't dream of letting a person poo somewhere and just leaving it so why is it any different when it's a dog?

So what's the difference from a neighbours cat defecating on my lawn,in MY garden 2or 3times a day. I have a 5yr old who likes to play in the garden. if cats sh1t does carry that disease, then why are the owners not made to pick there pet cats sh1t up. it's disgusting annoying and it reeks to high heaven. Surely same rules should apply shouldn't they? They,too,are carnivores?

Burkos

So what's the difference from a neighbours cat defecating on my lawn,in … So what's the difference from a neighbours cat defecating on my lawn,in MY garden 2or 3times a day. I have a 5yr old who likes to play in the garden. if cats sh1t does carry that disease, then why are the owners not made to pick there pet cats sh1t up. it's disgusting annoying and it reeks to high heaven. Surely same rules should apply shouldn't they? They,too,are carnivores?

You can buy stuff that can help with stopping cats coming into your garden. Im sure i heard that if you can lion poo and spread that round it works (only saying this as i live near a zoo so its an option).

Theres nothing more annoying than irresponsible dog owners. We're surrounded by fields and always go for walks in them but have to watch where we put our feet because of dog muck. Its the same on the local pavements especially outside our youngests school.
Its disgusting and the council should start prosecuting people. Also dog owners who let their dogs bark all day!

Get a cat then it can sh1t anywhere. That's more of a problem in my book.

nhoops

capriboycraig, you leave it if it's in woodland. What about the … capriboycraig, you leave it if it's in woodland. What about the Walkers/ramblers, including children, who walk through that woodland? Can't bear seeing dog poo anywhere myself. I wouldn't dream of letting a person poo somewhere and just leaving it so why is it any different when it's a dog?

Because said woodland is nowhere near habitation - it's thick and dense and crisscrossed with trails. The chances of some small child walking through are somewhat limited. If you walk off trail you kinda expect you might be walking through something you wouldn't expect to find on a nice woodland path.

It's a shame dogs don't bury their poop like cats (usually) do. Would make life a bit simpler for owners. I've never understood why cats rub themselves over everything they can, spray things with urine etc but when it comes to poop - they bury it!

Pick it up, just because it's off the beaten track doesn't mean you negate all responsibility for your mutt.

Clean it up, surprised you have to ask..

On the plus side, in winter a bag of dog poo makes a great handwarmer.

i tend to only pick up the dog poo when it is on the path or where someone can step on it.

technically speaking, you should pick it up wherever it is and so if the lady spots you and berate you then she is right i am afraid.

As a dog owner I try to clean it up (bag it and take it away) but that also depends on where I am and the dog. My dog likes to go off and hide in a bush to do his poo. I don't pretend to be a ecco warrior about dog poo, this clean it up issue is only a recent thing. So I suspect cows and sheep have seen plenty of dog poo and our field and forests have too. So for me if the is a ditch or a bush I'll flick it in or under rather then preserve it in plastic and add it to the pile in a bin. I sustect the flies around those bins carry more danger then any poo left on the ground and you never know how, where or when those bins are dealt with.

I wouldn't however bag it and throw in a tree or bush. This is a country-wide tactic which simply baffles the hell out of me.

davelangston

So I suspect cows and sheep have seen plenty of dog poo

Seeing it? The issue is parasitic infection of livestock that causes abortion. I don't get why there has to be a reason for dog-owners to pick up their animals' faeces on someone else's land but if there has to be one, consideration for the economic impact on the farmer and humane consideration for the livestock seem compelling enough.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions