Groups

What is the law regarding employee expenses?

If an employee was travelling away overnight for training that takes 5 consecutive days, what would they be entitled to claim for?

I am looking for a Gov or other official page that has this information but all i've found through google are forums discussing it and one Gov page targeted towards employers and not employees: gov.uk/exp…vel

The expenses on the page linked are for:

providing travel
    reimbursing travel
    accommodation (if your employee needs to stay away overnight)
    meals and other ‘subsistence’ while travelling

If this is a legal entitlement i'm confused why it's so difficult to find a source of official information for employees to read.

Appreciate any help!

17 Comments

I think it depends on what your contract says. Every company is different

It will be as per your employer expense policy

Not sure the law but every company I have worked for have provided full travel, full accommodation and then either provided so much to spend per day on food or have reimbursed food once receipts have been sent in.
    I'd assume thats pretty standard in most companys.
    Edited by: "minmac" 31st Jan

There are new HMRC guidelines that I think were released in Oct\Nov but those are based around what's acceptable from single day trips (with no overnight stays).

I stay away quite often and we have different allowances for different countries and extra allowances in London also.

Check it has your expenses team\HR or your recent contract.
    Edited by: "darlodge" 31st Jan

Banned

There is no "law"

Original Poster

Wow, I thought this would have been some kind of law - crazy!

always get VAT reciept

I claim most things in my household, You are allowed any laptop, any tv and office equipment, coffee table etc

xbox360man

I claim most things in my household, You are allowed any laptop, any tv … I claim most things in my household, You are allowed any laptop, any tv and office equipment, coffee table etc

That's why I voted for you in the elections Sir!

Whenever i have been away for several days training, i get travel expense, accomodation is booked and paid for by the company. Meals are provided at the booked accomodation.

Brings back memories. Had some great days out training as i work for big corporates who has money to spend so you always got a great deal on training.

GrantG182

That's why I voted for you in the elections Sir!

If you have LTD company and work from home you can claim them all, better than it going to the taxman

Obviously no "Law"- totally depends on the employers policy , which if you have a contract , you have signed up to .

certainly don't pay for it then hope to claim it back from any one , the company should pay for it all , dont use your car either , your only insured to go to one permanent place of work , unless youve got business use on your policy , if they pay for it all first get receipts for everything

Your expenses are what your company says you can have, I do though know that you can get £5 per night tax free from the Hmrc for being away for work, that's not included in expenses but not many companies know this

Where I Used to work people got overnight accommodation paid (chosen by company) use of van or mileage and £10 towards their meals per night, contracts should mention this if not contact citizens advice?
    Edited by: "cowcrazy" 1st Feb

If you work for the public sector, things like this are controlled by the Blue Book Guidelines - otherwise it's on a company by company basis.

Very much depends on your employer and their travel and subsistence policy, hmrc gets involved as some t&s is taxable, some not
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2977
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2493
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767392
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424514493

See more discussions