Groups

What is the maximum speed my wifi adapter can handle? (And how do I upgrade?)

I'm upgrading to 200mb, but my Delll laptop is quite old, so where can I firstly find out the maximum speed that it can handle and secondly is there a recommended adopter you guys would recommend?

9 Comments

What Dell is it?

You will need to tell us the model number of the laptop.

Probably a B/G adapter so around 50mb, or an N adapter which would be 150/300mb.
    Need the model and wireless module in laptop.
    To upgrade you'd need to install a new adapter

Original Poster

This is an N4050

It's more to do with what your router will throw out in speed as just because your getting 200meg doesn't mean that's via WiFi, you may only get 50 Meg via WiFi, and 200 via ethernet, you would need to test each wifi channel in the router to find the fastest.

Why do you want an adaptor when it appears to have its own wireless? Standard Dell Wireless TM 802.11b/g/n

mylaptopyourlaptop.blogspot.co.uk/201…tml
    Edited by: "getmeone" 21st Dec 2016

getmeone

Why do you want an adaptor when it appears to have its own wireless? … Why do you want an adaptor when it appears to have its own wireless? Standard Dell Wireless TM 802.11b/g/nhttp://mylaptopyourlaptop.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/dell-inspiron-14-n4050-specification.html

Even built in wifi is via an adapter..thats the industry standard term for an integrated wifi device. Most laptops have an plug in mini pci wifi adapter inside

Also for people that don't know many laptop manufacturers have a whitelist of pcie wireless cards, and many wont boot with a card not in that list installed. I know both my Toshiba, and a Lenovo I have were the same when fitting 5Ghz AC cards to them. The Toshiba I got to work using the 'tape trick' and the Lenovo I luckily found a patched BIOS with the whitelist check removed.

wi-fi speeds depend on local conditions and range at least as much as the hardware. Finding out what you have now is only useful in terms of being able to buy something with more capable technology if it's not sufficient.

To find the speed you'll have to test it. Do you have the new router you'll be using?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. FREE Odeon cinema ticket56
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553796
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047195
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814507

See more discussions