Groups

What is the minimum spec I should look for when buying a replacement for a 7 year old laptop?

I need to replace a 7 year old Dell Studio laptop that is on its last legs. I have tried researching what we need but seem to be going around in circles. What should I be looking for with regards to minimum spec? What should I totally avoid? I am unable to get out and about to see anything in action as I am now disabled and pretty much housebound.

It is needed for general internet browsing and mainly doing homework on. I prefer a larger screen 15"/16". They are used to Windows 10 at school. Son does do some gaming occasionally, but not often. I listen to music so decent sound/speakers would be good (good on my Dell, but were rubbish on a previous Toshiba). Budget is around £400. Thank you for your time

11 Comments

Memory that's what I think

Hey,

What I was personally looking for when purchasing for my old man was the below:

Minimum
    Intel® Core™ i5
    8Gb RAM
    256Gb SSD (Or Hybrid)

If I found something along these lines, I then looked into the gucci extra's such as speaker quality, resolution quality, keyboard design.

there are some awesome Chinese brands, if u don't mind the funny names like "jumper" look on gearbest.

What is your current spec?

Minimum should be something similar to this:

hotukdeals.com/dea…382

You want a decent dual core processor minimum i3, preferably i5. SSD is a pretty noticable improvement (programs and the computer itself start up more quickly). You may need to buy an external HDD, but you can usually pick up a decent 1TB jobby for £40 on deal.

8gigs or ram would be preferable, but you'll get away with 4gb for now. 8 for future proofing, although this will increase the cost unless you buy a 4gb ram laptop and install another 4gb yourself (easily done with youtube guides).

For your budget, you could look at something similar to this, although as always shop around for a better price/system, you would probably need to up your budget by another £150+ to buy a branded i5 based system.

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
    Edited by: "ittom" 12th Apr

Must have is an SSD drive installed, the speed difference over a conventional hard drive is massive.
    You shouldn't need a massive one, 256GB will be enough. If you need more disk space just buy an external USB hard drive for occasional use.

Elvira

I need to replace a 7 year old Dell Studio laptop that is on its … I need to replace a 7 year old Dell Studio laptop that is on its last legs. I have tried researching what we need but seem to be going around in circles. What should I be looking for with regards to minimum spec? What should I totally avoid? I am unable to get out and about to see anything in action as I am now disabled and pretty much housebound.It is needed for general internet browsing and mainly doing homework on. I prefer a larger screen 15"/16". They are used to Windows 10 at school. Son does do some gaming occasionally, but not often. I listen to music so decent sound/speakers would be good (good on my Dell, but were rubbish on a previous Toshiba). Budget is around £400. Thank you for your time

For that price you can pick up either of these:

ebuyer.com/766…002 I5-7200U, 500GB HDD £366.99

ebuyer.com/754…0uk I5-6200U, 128GB SSD £399.82

For £400 you can't expect to find much more in a laptop than this.
    Edited by: "xfaxfa" 12th Apr

Tablet sounds a better bet.

But If I did need a new laptop I would go for the highest spec I could get for my budget.

For homework and browsing no one would see any difference between an i3 and an i5 so i5 is overkill. I suppose your son plays games like Minecraft which don't have high requirements so you don't need a dedicated graphic card but you'll have to be more specific about what games he plays to verify that.

Minimum I'd say i3 as Celeron and Atom processors are very slow and noticeably so.

8GB or RAM should be ok.

SSD makes everything snappy but you'll have to make do with less capacity than a mechanical HDD as larger SSDs cost as much as a laptop.
    Try and get Full HD on 15 inches as HD resolution is just awful nowadays.
    Edited by: "hearts22" 13th Apr

Can you explain how a 'tablet sounds a better bet' for a replacement for a laptop?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. A mini break to Edinburgh - recommendations for recommendations/area etc!610
      2. Help please - pc issues57
      3. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed68
      4. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1419

See more discussions