What is the motive?

Found 13th Dec 2017
For not the first team since I've joined, a deal which cannot be found during a search, and is actually helping people during present buying season, has been "merged" into an old thread which someone forgot to expire.

So, rather than actually helping people save money or find good deals, it's seeming more like this site is about people getting precious about "seeing it first".

Even worse is that it seems to be moderator driven.

Is visibility not important?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Supermod
Hi Which thread in particular are you referring to?
Original Poster
magicjay198613th Dec 2017

Hi Which thread in particular are you referring to?

It was the Fallout 4 PC game deal, which was here:
hotukdeals.com/dea…043

Obviously at some point around a month ago it had appeared and expired, but no one bothered to update the thread. Despite the above post actually being visible and helping people, it's been deleted now as it 'already exists' here:
hotukdeals.com/dea…194

Now this isn't the first time this has happened, but it's really started to grate. If I see a good deal, I'll take maybe 10 mins of my earthly time to share this for other people to benefit from, especially at this time of the year. In many ways, I'm sure HUKD also benefit from me doing so. It's of no benefit to me at this stage, other than knowing I've helped someone out.

As you can imagine, then (I hope), it's quite annoying to do this, see people getting involved, it had gone 'hot' - thus of interest and a good deal for people, yet thanks to the annoying way things get done on here, it's now been slammed into the HUKD Black Hole of "this deal already exists if you know it exists; but if you don't, then good luck finding it".

It just feels like things get shoved off the radar for the sake of pedantry. No one will see that deal now unless they find a witchcraft way of locating it, as searching for "Fallout 4 PC" (hotukdeals.com/sea…e=2) and setting the filter to 'All time' still doesn't show this 'already exists' deal.

I can see why these things happen when people post the same thing within the same few minutes, hours or days, where you don't want duplicate deals bouncing around, but sometimes you see a deal and think "great, I'll have a look at that", then suddenly it's been moved/deleted and you've got no idea how to find it again.
A deal can only be posted once in a month anything else will be deleted, it’s how the site work. People report it and I guess if they include the duplicate link it should automatically be deleted, if not the site needs to change their software to save manual intervention.
What eslick said, but you are right too, I couldn't find it with a search(unless I went through dozens of pages)
Original Poster
eslick1 h, 16 m ago

A deal can only be posted once in a month anything else will be deleted, …A deal can only be posted once in a month anything else will be deleted, it’s how the site work. People report it and I guess if they include the duplicate link it should automatically be deleted, if not the site needs to change their software to save manual intervention.

The problem is, it doesn't promote the original thread any further, so it's all futile and contributes less in the process - especially when the so called "original" isn't a deal that is actually visible
chuffedfox19 m ago

The problem is, it doesn't promote the original thread any further, so …The problem is, it doesn't promote the original thread any further, so it's all futile and contributes less in the process - especially when the so called "original" isn't a deal that is actually visible

No it doesn’t but it clogs up the machine, add a comment to it brings it to the top of the pile in discussion always and highlight page sometimes. Sadly if you miss it you miss it but most people are on here every day, some of us on every hour or less.

om the search it’s actually easier and quicker to use google, always has been but since the changes it’s definitely easier.
Edited by: "eslick" 13th Dec 2017
People can get revenue from posting links (cash per click) so they don't want duplicates
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants