What is the National sport of England?

Found 22nd Oct 2012
Please help settle an argument which is being fought in my other thread

Changed from GB to keep it simple!

67 Comments

Usually, a country is good at their national sport so I don't know the answer to this for Great Britain.

Losing at sports we invented ?

Banned

Of Great Britain?

Football, maybe golf, possibly horseracing or even rugby union.

Don't think we have one as Great Britain. The countries that make up GB each have their own respective sport.

FilthAndFurry

Of Great Britain?Football, maybe golf, possibly horseracing or even rugby … Of Great Britain?Football, maybe golf, possibly horseracing or even rugby union.

Can't be football, as Scotland form part of GB (for now).
Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 22nd Oct 2012

Original Poster

Changed to England to keep it simple

Moaning.

GB = Rugby (Lions)
England national Sport = Football or Cricket, depends on time of year.

Torkijo

GB = Rugby (Lions)England national Sport = Football or Cricket, depends … GB = Rugby (Lions)England national Sport = Football or Cricket, depends on time of year.

Wales: Rugby Union

Original Poster

I believe it to be Football!

Lancashire: Ecky-Thump (the martial art that uses the black pudding as a weapon)

Tiddlywinks

Banned

Talking about the weather.

punkstoner1

The answer is we have no national sport.Yup, it's true.Each to their own. … The answer is we have no national sport.Yup, it's true.Each to their own. Personally, I have no time for the circus of distractions and politically correctness madness otherwise known as sport.

Anything else just isn't cricket.

rowing.

wow u can not say lap with an f no more, i just lraned that word too

Banned

Sorry, I was busy getting every question correct on University Challenge and Only Connect.

The correct answer to your question, is Cricket. Golf is of Scotland and Rugby is of Wales.

I thank you.

Banned

FilthAndFurry

Of Great Britain?Football, maybe golf, possibly horseracing or even rugby … Of Great Britain?Football, maybe golf, possibly horseracing or even rugby union.

Barred from answering as does not know what a National Sport is.

Fighting with people from other countries

Trolling?

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

Barred from answering as does not know what a National Sport is.

The funny thing is that even by the definition of a national sport that you gave in the other thread, I actually gave an even better answer.

Of course you're just here to troll now because you can't engage in rational debate.

Inb4 Great British Bake-Off is proclaimed the national sport.

Cricket.

Oh hai filth oO

I meant to say football.

Banned

punkstoner1

Where is the Governmental edict which states our alleged National Sport.

There isn't one. If there was, there wouldn't be much need for a discussion now would there?

I told you earlier...

http://www.global-snooker.com/images/taylor-dennis.jpg

Snooker

Banned

The national sport in my home - pwning Jonny.

Easily football...

Banned

punkstoner1

We clearly don't have a national sport then.. :)On the other hand, we do … We clearly don't have a national sport then.. :)On the other hand, we do have a National Stadium (wembley?) where many sports are played.Like I said. Each to their own.

Wembley is synonymous with association football first and foremost. One could say our national stadium is a football stadium.

Banned

punkstoner1

Where is the Governmental edict which states our alleged National Sport.

Nothing to do with 'government' Mr Punk. A National Sport is a sport that is intrinsic to a country or nations history, culture and identity. Cricket, being born in the 1500's was soon given to our Great British territories in the 18th and 19th century which made it our National Sport.

The common and modern day thinking that Football is in anyway our National Sport is born out of ignorance of our countries history and is based on nothing more than the ideal of capacity and attendance.

Those the facts. Although some uneducated to the fact chose to disagree.

Banned

FilthAndFurry

Wembley is synonymous with association football first and foremost. One … Wembley is synonymous with association football first and foremost. One could say our national stadium is a football stadium.

And what have a National Sport and a National Stadia got to do with one another. Filth, you are actually showing yourself up here. Your lack of knowledge in basic history is astounding.

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

Nothing to do with 'government' Mr Punk. A National Sport is a sport … Nothing to do with 'government' Mr Punk. A National Sport is a sport that is intrinsic to a country or nations history, culture and identity. Cricket, being born in the 1500's was soon given to our Great British territories in the 18th and 19th century which made it our National Sport.The common and modern day thinking that Football is in anyway our National Sport is born out of ignorance of our countries history and is based on nothing more than the ideal of capacity and attendance.Those the facts. Although some uneducated to the fact chose to disagree.

So you're going solely for longevity? Horse racing in this country precedes cricket by a few centuries and has been part of the national identity from prince to pauper. It has TWO events protected under OFCOM's rules and no less than the Queen is fan. It gets grand ratings every year and is part of the national identity.

Even then, I'd still contend that association football is this country's national sport right now. It contributes massively to the culture and it has spread to almost every corner of the Earth, yet is still intrinsically English.

International competitions are actually one of the few things that unite this country too. Do you see half the fuss made over the Ashes (that's a competition between us and the Australians jonny).

Banned

FilthAndFurry

The funny thing is that even by the definition of a national sport that … The funny thing is that even by the definition of a national sport that you gave in the other thread, I actually gave an even better answer.Of course you're just here to troll now because you can't engage in rational debate. Inb4 Great British Bake-Off is proclaimed the national sport.

If it was my world, I would certainly have Great British Bake as our National Sport - It's THAT awesome!

But I deflect your attempt to blind side me. Can I please ask you to define National Sport. Once you've done that, you'll understand why Cricket is Englands. My point isn't based on personal opinion by the way Filth. I hate Cricket as much as I loathe Football (soccer).

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

And what have a National Sport and a National Stadia got to do with one … And what have a National Sport and a National Stadia got to do with one another. Filth, you are actually showing yourself up here. Your lack of knowledge in basic history is astounding.

It was just a point I was making to old punky. It's really not one of the central arguments I've been making so there's no need for you to ignore.

Maybe we'll have to start testing your knowledge on the NFL too. Here's an easy one to start - what was notable about Belichick's first two picks in the draft this year?

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

If it was my world, I would certainly have Great British Bake as our … If it was my world, I would certainly have Great British Bake as our National Sport - It's THAT awesome!But I deflect your attempt to blind side me. Can I please ask you to define National Sport. Once you've done that, you'll understand why Cricket is Englands. My point isn't based on personal opinion by the way Filth. I hate Cricket as much as I loathe Football (soccer).

A national sport is one that (in my opinion) is inextricably linked to that country, plays a large part in the national discourse and can trace some of it's roots back to that country. Whilst cricket may well fulfil the final criteria, it would be weird to ignore the massive part that football plays in this country's identity not just now, but for generations.

Banned

punkstoner1

Cricket certainly has more history than foozeball. This fact cannot be … Cricket certainly has more history than foozeball. This fact cannot be disputed.

I thank you for that - and the connection Filth is not understanding is the connection between the two. He likes Football, he is possibly correct is suggesting Football is England's most popular sport, but he's wrong in thinking it is our National Sport.

He doesn't understand the term 'National Sport' you see, and I was willing to correct him within a few moments of this thread. Now he's making himself look like a pleb in front of billions. That's a shame. I like Filth. I agree with most of what he say's. I feel like I'm Darth Vader dropping The Emperor into that 'lift shaft'.

We could have been good together Filth.
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 22nd Oct 2012

Banned

FilthAndFurry

A national sport is one that (in my opinion) is inextricably linked to … A national sport is one that (in my opinion) is inextricably linked to that country, plays a large part in the national discourse and can trace some of it's roots back to that country. Whilst cricket may well fulfil the final criteria, it would be weird to ignore the massive part that football plays in this country's identity not just now, but for generations.

No, No, No! Back tracking not allowed! This is not a matter of opinions, this is a matter of facts, and you have failed from an early point to recognise what a 'National Sport' is how is is established to be so.

You were my father!

Banned

punkstoner1

Twotoes, you will never win. Filthy has a secret weapon. GOOGLE.

Out of interest, what happens when you google "National Sport of England?" (Third one down) X)

Banned

Chirpsanddale

Who decides what the national sportit`s football now

No-one decides, it just is.

JonnyTwoToes

I thank you for that - and the connection Filth is not understanding is … I thank you for that - and the connection Filth is not understanding is the connection between the two. He likes Football, he is possibly correct is suggesting Football is England's most popular sport, but he's wrong in thinking it is our National Sport.He doesn't understand the term 'National Sport' you see, and I was willing to correct him within a few members of this thread. Now he's making himself look like font in front of billions. That's a shame. I like Filth. I agree with most of what he say's. I feel like I'm Darth Vader dropping The Emperor into that 'lift shaft'.We could have been good together Filth.

Again, no comment on horseracing which has a far longer history than cricket and in inextricably linked to the national culture and has been for centuries. It's almost as if I make your argument better than you (not surprising considering I've always been a much smarter version of you).

punkstoner1

Twotoes, you will never win. Filthy has a secret weapon. GOOGLE.

And a darn good education. Played country cricket in fact.

Banned

punkstoner1

Filthys' problem is that he will never accept he is wrong or found … Filthys' problem is that he will never accept he is wrong or found lacking.I'm not sure what DSM-IV cat this would fit in. It would certainly box off nicely in one though for sure.

I can certainly accept that I'm wrong. In fact I actually took on board Jonny's definition of a 'national sport' and found that based on that criteria horse racing would be a far better example.

However, i still felt that football was indisputably our national sport.

Banned

Not that I want it to support my claim, but what does Wikipedia say about Cricket?
(Third paragraph down)

It's actually correct this time. Canada have just changed their National Sport based to include Lacrosse AND Ice Hockey based on the fact that both sports are now played to an extent where it is thought right they are considered to be part of the National identity.

Filth is missing the single point that this has never been done with Football. Cricket was the first and only National Sport of the UK based on the fact is was born here in the 1500's and our expansion into foreign territory meant other countries became accustomed to it. It then became our National Sport in the late 1700's and has never been toppled from it's crown.

Regardless of what Filth likes to think with his modern day ideas of attendance, he has no idea what the term National Sport means and therefore he fails to build a rational argument against the FACT that Cricket remains England's National Sport.

Facts. Something Filth tends to not understand unless they agree with his ideals.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants