What is the penalty for Parking on white zigzag lines

Posted 25th Nov
What is the penalty for Parking on white zigzag lines Usually as I never got a ticket they said I will receive it in the post by the police Officer?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Probably the worst place you can park to kill someone
Holy whatsit! Look what Googling 'penalty for parking on zigzags' produced

'As parking on white zig zag lines puts pedestrians at risk, police will almost always issue a FPN without exceptions. Unlike yellow zig zag lines, there are no exceptions to stopping on white zig zag lines (other than to wait for pedestrians) or parking. The Fixed Penalty Notice issued by the police is £60 with 3 penalty points.'
Yeah they are dual enforcement, if the council issue the ticket it's just a fine, if it's the police it's also three points.

It's a dumb-ass place to park, what's up with you
3 points and a fixed penalty notice if caught by the police
27 Comments
punishment by taser
3 points and a fixed penalty notice if caught by the police
Civil matter - not criminal so your local council will enforce penalty. Their website will probably detail the exact penalty.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 25th Nov
Probably the worst place you can park to kill someone
It's 3 points as you block the view of a crossing pedestrian I'm afraid.
Holy whatsit! Look what Googling 'penalty for parking on zigzags' produced

'As parking on white zig zag lines puts pedestrians at risk, police will almost always issue a FPN without exceptions. Unlike yellow zig zag lines, there are no exceptions to stopping on white zig zag lines (other than to wait for pedestrians) or parking. The Fixed Penalty Notice issued by the police is £60 with 3 penalty points.'
By the way: Welcome to the site, George_Will. I hope further posts from you will be on a happier basis eh?
Yeah they are dual enforcement, if the council issue the ticket it's just a fine, if it's the police it's also three points.

It's a dumb-ass place to park, what's up with you
Phsycronix25/11/2019 21:16

Comment deleted

If the police said they are reporting him then the fine will come hand-in-hand with the points.

Phsycronix25/11/2019 21:05

Civil matter - not criminal so your local council will enforce penalty. …Civil matter - not criminal so your local council will enforce penalty. Their website will probably detail the exact penalty but normally 3 points on licence. Not sure about a fine

And I don't think councils hand out penalty points? Isn't that just the courts can do that?
Edited by: "deeky" 25th Nov
my brother got done for this many years ago and it was a police officer that done him. he was parked where the front of the car went a little bit over the zig zag line, and your car must be clear of the zig zag line. he got a fine and penalty point on his licence.
deeky25/11/2019 21:17

If the police said they are reporting him then the fine will come …If the police said they are reporting him then the fine will come hand-in-hand with the points.

You think so? Damn. I was told if the cops 'enforce' a civil matter, all they do is report to the local council and it's up to them what 'penalty' is levied? Oh well. You never know, it might be like "Bus lanes" and you just get a fine and no points. One can hope...

You'll have to let us know what happens @George_Will as it might help others in a similar situation.
deeky25/11/2019 21:17

And I don't think councils hand out penalty points? Isn't that just the …And I don't think councils hand out penalty points? Isn't that just the courts can do that?

I think you are quite right Deeky. It's PCN's that council's issue - so no points, unlike an FPN. I confused the two.

In that case, might be ok on the points front. Hehe.
Apart from not knowing your punishment, you do know you can't park on them? If not it's a sore lesson learned.
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 25th Nov
Don't think the Police have any Black Friday voucher codes, but If you pay the fine within 14 days you may get a 50% discount.
I got fine and penalty points when i done it ,it was 4am in the morning not a pedestrian in the street so it was hard to take.
Yes its points on your license and a fine
NIP from the sounds of it, 3pts, it could be more if you take it to court and lose, the fine is £100, again possibly more at court.
If you spoke to the cop he could have given it verbally in which case it could just be a summons to court through the post or the FPT.
Given the option take the FPT, don't make the mistake of thinking you can ignore them.

Any tips? always check the post code of the letter if it is an NIP, (notice of intended prosecution), they must be sent within 14 days of the offence. It doesn't matter if it turns up later if the post mark was dated within that time, a ticket can be issued up to 6 months after.
keithdaniels33625/11/2019 23:12

NIP from the sounds of it, 3pts, it could be more if you take it to court …NIP from the sounds of it, 3pts, it could be more if you take it to court and lose, the fine is £100, again possibly more at court.If you spoke to the cop he could have given it verbally in which case it could just be a summons to court through the post or the FPT.Given the option take the FPT, don't make the mistake of thinking you can ignore them.Any tips? always check the post code of the letter if it is an NIP, (notice of intended prosecution), they must be sent within 14 days of the offence. It doesn't matter if it turns up later if the post mark was dated within that time, a ticket can be issued up to 6 months after.

They also receipt delivery too in case you have thoughts about swapping envelopes etc, knew someone who tried that once, he got 3 months bed and breakfast, first offence too.
Next time you would be advised just to park in a disabled space .
jimmy_the_fridge25/11/2019 23:18

Next time you would be advised just to park in a disabled space .

No the mamma pappa space
I hope you get a big fine.
The amount of dangle berries which make it so dangerous for other road users is eye opening.
Points and a insurance hike next renewal....or loss of license if you already have points....
One word of advice to anyone who parks incorrectly coz "itll be ok no one will know". Its not worth it. Its better to take 10s of mins out of day to park properly then the hours of hassle this creates. From fighting private parking firms to getting council fines. Take it from someone who has got their fair share. Not worth it whatsoever.
Stoning
3 points, £100 fine. Plea bargain might get you 25 years but failing that it’s the death penalty I’m afraid. I can arrange an extraction to a safe location, new identity and protection but these things aren’t cheap. I will need a week to acquire your new documentation and locate a safe camping site where you will need to keep a low profile. You will now be known as Fabio Monterra Da Silva. YW
jamstaruk197225/11/2019 22:32

I got fine and penalty points when i done it ,it was 4am in the morning …I got fine and penalty points when i done it ,it was 4am in the morning not a pedestrian in the street so it was hard to take.

there was a pedestrian on the street, you just couldn't see him as some berk had parking the car in front of him

whilst it is statistically less likely to affect anyone at 4am, alas if it did, it is more likely to be a disaster, a few drinks and you will simply walk out on to a crossing despite the roar of an approaching engine who is driving a bit too fast as he thinks no one will be around at that time
Bargainhead26/11/2019 06:12

Points and a insurance hike next renewal....or loss of license if you …Points and a insurance hike next renewal....or loss of license if you already have points....

Probably not.
Most insurance companies dont charge extra for the first set of points you get.
Back in 2003/04 I got 6 points ( I was a Naughty boy ).
My insurance went down. I was amazed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants