What is the point of a pharmacist?

Found 1st Feb
GP writes out a prescription stating what medicine you need.
Anyone competent (and not necessarily degree educated) can go and retrieve the correct medicine. Can double check it with a colleague if it's necessary.

Technically, one could in the future insert the prescription into some kind of barcode reader and await a box of tablets to drop out of a dispenser. Fully automated.

So what value does a qualified pharmacist add and could we save millions a year by no longer employing them?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
There's a lot more that happens behind the scenes. Pharmacists check clinically have greater knowledge of drugs than your GP.
Your GP is a Jack of all trades whereas the Pharmacist is a Master of one.
Edited by: "parsimony" 2nd Feb
A+e doctor prescribed my daughter (aged 3 at the time) a high end level adult dose of a prescription that could have proved fatal if the pharmacist hadn’t pick up on the huge error. In the future, pharmacist are likely to become more and more the consultants for minor ailments that our gps can’t be bothered to deal with.
I can not believe how ignorant your post is about the role of a pharmacist.

Do do really think they do a 4 year masters degree to just hand out boxes of drugs.

Why not do away with GP’s too just google your symptoms and go direct to the dispensing machine.
40 Comments
Not much.
over the last 3 years collecting 100 plus prescriptions for me and the wife. Mostly the same medication each month, they have missed out medications and denied this fact. Given me other people’s medicines, packs with half sheets of drugs etc.
I always have to wait an extra 2 day cos the won’t stock the wife’s medication. The same order each month for 3 plus years but won’t keep it in stock. What a joke.

A friend who is type 1 diabetic, dropped his vile of insulin Xmas eve smashing it.
He went to A&E got an emergency prescription. Went to boots chemist as hospital did not stock insulin.
Boots quizzed him for 10 mins as to why he needed insulin.
He gave up in the end and said. So I don’t die
There's a lot more that happens behind the scenes. Pharmacists check clinically have greater knowledge of drugs than your GP.
I once had a phonecall from my pharmacist to tell me I didnt need medicine I had been perscribed, because I had a blood test with different results. the test in question was from the year before and they didn't care to look at the date apparently and I pointed out their mistake and they were just refusing to acknowledge it, and they were just like oh you do want this then anyway? and I said I would talk to a doctor regarding any of my health requirements if they are that prone to error
adamkaty14 m ago

There's a lot more that happens behind the scenes. Pharmacists check …There's a lot more that happens behind the scenes. Pharmacists check clinically have greater knowledge of drugs than your GP.

Exactly I would trust a pharmacist when it came to contra indications and much less so a GP.
Your GP is a Jack of all trades whereas the Pharmacist is a Master of one.
Edited by: "parsimony" 2nd Feb
bigwheels45 m ago

Not much.over the last 3 years collecting 100 plus prescriptions for me …Not much.over the last 3 years collecting 100 plus prescriptions for me and the wife. Mostly the same medication each month, they have missed out medications and denied this fact. Given me other people’s medicines, packs with half sheets of drugs etc.I always have to wait an extra 2 day cos the won’t stock the wife’s medication. The same order each month for 3 plus years but won’t keep it in stock. What a joke.

My father has the very same issues in Boots. They are also too lazy to shake up the bottles they dispense my mum's Iron liquid from, so she often ends up with a bottle full of just completely clear liquid that separated out and we have to take it back, you'd think when filling the bottles they'd at least notice it wasn't dark red. Good job it is not a medication that would cause harm if the strength is wrong.
A+e doctor prescribed my daughter (aged 3 at the time) a high end level adult dose of a prescription that could have proved fatal if the pharmacist hadn’t pick up on the huge error. In the future, pharmacist are likely to become more and more the consultants for minor ailments that our gps can’t be bothered to deal with.
bigwheels2 h, 13 m ago

Not much.over the last 3 years collecting 100 plus prescriptions for me …Not much.over the last 3 years collecting 100 plus prescriptions for me and the wife. Mostly the same medication each month, they have missed out medications and denied this fact. Given me other people’s medicines, packs with half sheets of drugs etc.I always have to wait an extra 2 day cos the won’t stock the wife’s medication. The same order each month for 3 plus years but won’t keep it in stock. What a joke.A friend who is type 1 diabetic, dropped his vile of insulin Xmas eve smashing it.He went to A&E got an emergency prescription. Went to boots chemist as hospital did not stock insulin.Boots quizzed him for 10 mins as to why he needed insulin.He gave up in the end and said. So I don’t die

If you are on regular medication why are you moaning about the pharmacist not stocking the medication?

How about you put your repeat prescription request in 1 or 2 week(s) before you run out and then collect what you need a few days before your medication actually runs out.

My pharmacist doesn't stock all my meds but I've never had a problem and I can collect 2 days after the prescription has been received by them. All I have to do is call them or pop in and request a repeat and two days later I can collect it - I don't even need to ask my GP it's all done from the pharmacist.

How about you take some responsibility for your failure to organise or failure to find out a better way of requesting repeat prescriptions?
My pharmacist is really good. They are very helpful and only this morning helped me out when I ran out of medication and there was a mix up with my repeat prescription.. A lot of the time we should be using them for minor ailments rather than wasting the time of the GP.
grex91013 h, 1 m ago

"vile of insulin"Really says it all. These people are allowed to breed, …"vile of insulin"Really says it all. These people are allowed to breed, why?

Quite ironic that your grammar is atrocious.
They check to make sure the correct dosage is in the box. So they will either add or remove tablets depending on the GPs recommendation.
"could we save millions a year by no longer employing them?"

By putting them on the dole and spending millions a year!!! Seems legit!
I can not believe how ignorant your post is about the role of a pharmacist.

Do do really think they do a 4 year masters degree to just hand out boxes of drugs.

Why not do away with GP’s too just google your symptoms and go direct to the dispensing machine.
philphil616 h, 20 m ago

If you are on regular medication why are you moaning about the pharmacist …If you are on regular medication why are you moaning about the pharmacist not stocking the medication?How about you put your repeat prescription request in 1 or 2 week(s) before you run out and then collect what you need a few days before your medication actually runs out.My pharmacist doesn't stock all my meds but I've never had a problem and I can collect 2 days after the prescription has been received by them. All I have to do is call them or pop in and request a repeat and two days later I can collect it - I don't even need to ask my GP it's all done from the pharmacist.How about you take some responsibility for your failure to organise or failure to find out a better way of requesting repeat prescriptions?

I can only order after 21 days. Practice rules. Due to the tablets costing over £75 a pack they will nlt stock them. I also have to collect morphine mst 2 packs every month for over 3 years and they will not keep them in stock. Not my fault, You seem to know what to do.Please let me know how to get round them refusing to stock it ?.
Your knowlage and advise would be welcomed.
Last week pharmacist picked up in a unusual dose off tabs and checked it with prescribing doctor and doctor had mad a mistake! So they are needed !
Op hasn't really thought this through, Perhaps they need a second opinion ;).
bigwheels1 h, 7 m ago

I can only order after 21 days. Practice rules. Due to the tablets costing …I can only order after 21 days. Practice rules. Due to the tablets costing over £75 a pack they will nlt stock them. I also have to collect morphine mst 2 packs every month for over 3 years and they will not keep them in stock. Not my fault, You seem to know what to do.Please let me know how to get round them refusing to stock it ?.Your knowlage and advise would be welcomed.

My pharmacist deals directly with my doctor. They deal with ordering the repeat prescriptions and text me When they are ready to collect. Would that not work for you?
deleted1597344
OP let’s hope we don’t have any pharmacists on this site ...
bigwheels3 h, 49 m ago

I can only order after 21 days. Practice rules. Due to the tablets costing …I can only order after 21 days. Practice rules. Due to the tablets costing over £75 a pack they will nlt stock them. I also have to collect morphine mst 2 packs every month for over 3 years and they will not keep them in stock. Not my fault, You seem to know what to do.Please let me know how to get round them refusing to stock it ?.Your knowlage and advise would be welcomed.

As I said - organise

I have a reminder on my phone when to re-order but if I miss that reminder my 7 day tablet organiser gets stocked weekly so when I get to stocking near the end of my meds I have one weeks supply plus the odd few that's still in the original packs

And as you state "I can only order after 21 days" that should mean you still have 7 days supply and your pharmacist should be able to dispense your prescription within 2 days therefore you should have 5 days leeway

For me to re-order I can either use a messaging system on HealthEra app (I can't use the re-ordering process because HealthEra want to charge the pharmacy for the automated system) or I can make a phonecall or pop in. They contact the pharmacy digitally and within 2 days my prescription is ready (excluding weekends)

healthera.co.uk/

^^^HealthEra App^^^

Some pharmacies might be using it - smaller pharmacies might only be using the messaging system as that is free but it has the ability to add your meds including when to take, how many, when you started the meds etc and a reminder (but Google Calendar is just as easy for reminders without the additional costs being incurred by the pharmacy)
Edited by: "philphil61" 2nd Feb
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 32 m ago

My pharmacist is really good. They are very helpful and only this morning …My pharmacist is really good. They are very helpful and only this morning helped me out when I ran out of medication and there was a mix up with my repeat prescription.. A lot of the time we should be using them for minor ailments rather than wasting the time of the GP.

What?

What the he....

You're disorganized????

A woman with top notch common sense. Females are supposed to be able to multitask!!! And for sure (and most of us men know it) your memory isn't a problem because all us men have suffered the continuous berating / nagging / constant reminders when we've done something wrong.

So no.... I don't believe you forgot

^^^^^humour (otherwise known as sarcasm)^^^^^^
philphil619 m ago

^^^^^humour (otherwise known as sarcasm)^^^^^^

Or a rather tragic throwback to a cliched '70s mindset.

33185253-nIAz2.jpg
Sure someone may have the competence of retrieving the medication you have been prescribed....However from the endless white labelled boxes, do you know where to go and start having a look, let alone ensure the correct number of tablets are cut and given to the patient (per the GP prescription), making up medications/ dilutions if necessary. Sure let the customer who is a competent methadone drug addict serve himself of the medication if available to them, or let the Alzheimer's granny find her own meds, there is also a reason why medications are controlled substances so cannot be given willynilly to anyone, other than the whole drug-drug interactions/ medical history and being informed how many to take per day (no these labels are not produced by the manufacturer but by the pharmacist tailored to you), so no i guess you can't replace the pharmacist with a GP or possibly by an AI robot (the latter maybe, but not just yet)...you lot can't be trusted to serve yourselves.
Edited by: "superspeedy" 2nd Feb
I don't know about anyone else but i would rather have someone that knows what they are doing giving me substances that I'll have to ingest rather than someone that has had an hour training.
Original Poster
CoeK17 m ago

I don't know about anyone else but i would rather have someone that knows …I don't know about anyone else but i would rather have someone that knows what they are doing giving me substances that I'll have to ingest rather than someone that has had an hour training.

But is it the Pharmacist that is dispensing the medication?
I've worked in a Pharmacy dispensing medicine when I was at Uni, and pretty much the Pharmacists would glance at the label and sign it off.
Fast forward many years to today and I don't see the pharmacists doing anything more these days - just occasionally glancing at what the low paid dispensing staff have put next to boxes and grunting approval, before the dispensing staff put the medication into the boxes or bottles and hand it over to you. The dispensing staff do virtually everything. The Pharmacist seems to be more of an admin manager, handling paperwork for deliveries, checking budgets, staff rotas and so forth.

The dispensing staff are on (or close to) minimum wage at many pharmacies, but in my opinion do over 95% of the work involved in your medication on the premises.The Pharmacists are on well over £35k per annum.

Between the GP and the dispensers, they seem to have ones medication covered. I am still unsure what value a degree educated Pharmacist brings into this.
Uranus2nd Feb

But is it the Pharmacist that is dispensing the medication?I've worked in …But is it the Pharmacist that is dispensing the medication?I've worked in a Pharmacy dispensing medicine when I was at Uni, and pretty much the Pharmacists would glance at the label and sign it off.Fast forward many years to today and I don't see the pharmacists doing anything more these days - just occasionally glancing at what the low paid dispensing staff have put next to boxes and grunting approval, before the dispensing staff put the medication into the boxes or bottles and hand it over to you. The dispensing staff do virtually everything. The Pharmacist seems to be more of an admin manager, handling paperwork for deliveries, checking budgets, staff rotas and so forth.The dispensing staff are on (or close to) minimum wage at many pharmacies, but in my opinion do over 95% of the work involved in your medication on the premises.The Pharmacists are on well over £35k per annum.Between the GP and the dispensers, they seem to have ones medication covered. I am still unsure what value a degree educated Pharmacist brings into this.

Well the one pharmacist i know does a lot of dispensing but also a lot of training and teaching. I would rather that than someone being trained by someone who was trained by a pharmacist 15 years ago.

I would assume it is similar to my job, all the people that answer to me are experienced, they have been doing the job years so i can trust them to get on with it. But if a situation comes up then i have to deal with it because they only know how things work not why they work that way.
I love to go to the pharmacy when I know something over the counter will help me, there's can advise what the best drug and if don't work when to Go to the doctor's, there's can put my mind to rest in five mins,why doctor's can be tricky to see
CoeK1 h, 24 m ago

I don't know about anyone else but i would rather have someone that knows …I don't know about anyone else but i would rather have someone that knows what they are doing giving me substances that I'll have to ingest rather than someone that has had an hour training.

Best steer clear of McDonalds, KFC etc etc then
Pandamansays4 m ago

Best steer clear of McDonalds, KFC etc etc then

I do my best
philphil612 h, 10 m ago

What?What the he....You're disorganized????A woman with top notch common …What?What the he....You're disorganized????A woman with top notch common sense. Females are supposed to be able to multitask!!! And for sure (and most of us men know it) your memory isn't a problem because all us men have suffered the continuous berating / nagging / constant reminders when we've done something wrong.So no.... I don't believe you forgot^^^^^humour (otherwise known as sarcasm)^^^^^^

This is where the benefits of having a good pharmacist are evident. Normally I get a text saying meds are ready to collect. They had requested them but doctors wanted me in for a review. Doctors have out of date phone number for me. All fixed now. Pharmacist issued interim prescription so I'm unlikely to drop dead. Can go back to being super woman
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 32 m ago

This is where the benefits of having a good pharmacist are evident. …This is where the benefits of having a good pharmacist are evident. Normally I get a text saying meds are ready to collect. They had requested them but doctors wanted me in for a review. Doctors have out of date phone number for me. All fixed now. Pharmacist issued interim prescription so I'm unlikely to drop dead. Can go back to being super woman

My local pharmacy are excellent also. Up until a few years ago I probably popped in there once or twice in 5 years but unfortunately it's every month (sometimes twice depending on weather and needs) and now we are all on first name terms... they almost know what I've come for

As to the comments about "bad" pharmacy/dispensing errors - I do believe that in major pharmacies and hospitals the dispensing is double checked and on occasions I've seen this happen in my local pharmacy (I'm guessing this is done depending on how dangerous the medication is)

So just confirm please...
most of the time you are psychobitchfromhell but on occasions (when needed) you'll pull on that tight fitting, brightly coloured lycra type costume and boots and turn into super woman? photo's or you are lying
Uranus2nd Feb

But is it the Pharmacist that is dispensing the medication?I've worked in …But is it the Pharmacist that is dispensing the medication?I've worked in a Pharmacy dispensing medicine when I was at Uni, and pretty much the Pharmacists would glance at the label and sign it off.Fast forward many years to today and I don't see the pharmacists doing anything more these days - just occasionally glancing at what the low paid dispensing staff have put next to boxes and grunting approval, before the dispensing staff put the medication into the boxes or bottles and hand it over to you. The dispensing staff do virtually everything. The Pharmacist seems to be more of an admin manager, handling paperwork for deliveries, checking budgets, staff rotas and so forth.The dispensing staff are on (or close to) minimum wage at many pharmacies, but in my opinion do over 95% of the work involved in your medication on the premises.The Pharmacists are on well over £35k per annum.Between the GP and the dispensers, they seem to have ones medication covered. I am still unsure what value a degree educated Pharmacist brings into this.

You really are naive, do you think every prescription is as complicated as the next? A prescription for paracetamol will take no way near the time to check than an end of life script, with drugs that are fatal, if dispensed incorrectly.

Does your job require maximum time for every little task you? I'm sure if you think hard enough there are some tasks which take little time and others lots of time.

In addition you do realise pharmacies are there to make a profit, and profit is prescription numbers, hence the extra stress and work load pharmacists and their staff are put under due to the ever increasing work load. Dispensers are there to dispense there is only one person qualified to check a prescription, it's to speed up the process, otherwise if the pharmacist did all the work start to finish they would be an horrendous backlog.

If you cared to think of your time in the pharmacy, rather than with rose tinted glasses you'd appreciate the hard work that is done.

I to worked in a pharmacy at uni.

There is a big difference between physical labour and the difficulty of running a pharmacy, I'd imagine pharmacists are paid what they do because of that reason. You sound disgruntled purely because you felt you did all the work back during your uni days.
Edited by: "B.B" 2nd Feb
philphil611 h, 45 m ago

My local pharmacy are excellent also. Up until a few years ago I probably …My local pharmacy are excellent also. Up until a few years ago I probably popped in there once or twice in 5 years but unfortunately it's every month (sometimes twice depending on weather and needs) and now we are all on first name terms... they almost know what I've come for As to the comments about "bad" pharmacy/dispensing errors - I do believe that in major pharmacies and hospitals the dispensing is double checked and on occasions I've seen this happen in my local pharmacy (I'm guessing this is done depending on how dangerous the medication is)So just confirm please...most of the time you are psychobitchfromhell but on occasions (when needed) you'll pull on that tight fitting, brightly coloured lycra type costume and boots and turn into super woman? photo's or you are lying

Sorry, it's my day off today. Boots are being reheeled and lycra in the washing machine
The point of the Pharmacist, is to make you wait 20 minutes for something, whilst they chat to their colleges behind the scenes.
A regular shop worker would have got your stuff within 1 minute.
I've always found the Pharmacist a very helpful being. I tell you, every time I'm collecting my supply there's always one elderly type with the Pharmacist pulled to one side asking for advise about their sore eye, granted I've never been able to establish which eye they're talking about. Maybe some things are best unknown

Morale of the story OP, when you're old and your eye is sore, you'll be glad of the Pharmacist
Edited by: "sparkyIreland" 2nd Feb
Some meds are not on prescription but are sold at the pharmacist's discretion like codeine in combination with other painkillers like paracetamol and ibuprofen.

They can spot people who buy these to abuse them and get high.
They can also point out these meds can be addictive if used for longer than 3 days.

Some meds like Phenergan (allergy med) can be sedative and cannot be sold with other meds that can cause sedation such as a narcotic like codeine.
Again, the pharmacist will tell you this.
Think of a Pharmacist as licensed Landlord. Someone has to be responsible for all the ‘substances’ provided by that establishment. It is also their job to ensure that safe concoctions are served out along with ensuring the staff are supervised and well trained.

During a flight most of the time is it can be automated. Do you want a Robot Lansing for you in bad weather?
A butcher knows all the best cuts. Some Sushi chefs are skilled at preparing toxic fish servings. Maybe either could be surgeons?

As with nearly all jobs. Many people can easily pick up the routine aspects of a job with a little training. It is the specialist times that experts earn their keep.
I get my prescriptions from my doctors surgery, the receptionist prints them out, finds them and bags them up.

Are surgery receptionists fully trained pharmacists?
@Bestard
after a few days, have you got the point or not (of a pharmacist) to your question please?
tempt40 m ago

Hate Landlords! After that analogy, hate Pharmacists too and I’ll side w …Hate Landlords! After that analogy, hate Pharmacists too and I’ll side with the OP and demand the profession is banned.

I meant pub landlords but I can see how you made your jump.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants