What is the strongest adhesive? Fastest setting for plasterboard on wood.

Found 29th May 2012
Need the best stuff to do some patch it jobs on my walls. Also, when cutting plasterboard, whats the best knife to use?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
21 Comments
I did buy something from Wicks it quick and solid fix.

Dont remember the name but it wasn't wicks's product but Wick's is selling it for £4 or £5 can post the name in evening if not in rush then.
Banned
namuma

I did buy something from Wicks it quick and solid fix.Dont remember the … I did buy something from Wicks it quick and solid fix.Dont remember the name but it wasn't wicks's product but Wick's is selling it for £4 or £5 can post the name in evening if not in rush then.

WickEs

It's only on tv ALL the time, I can understand why some people can't spell it.
Original Poster
Yeah no rush, just gonna be shopping for the stuff tomorrow. I never used one of these gun things either, are they fairly easy to use, or am i better with the squeezy tubes?
generaloneill

Yeah no rush, just gonna be shopping for the stuff tomorrow. I never … Yeah no rush, just gonna be shopping for the stuff tomorrow. I never used one of these gun things either, are they fairly easy to use, or am i better with the squeezy tubes?

If you got steady hand then guns are better other wise go with tubes.. as guns do require steady hand to apply them nicely.
backinblack

WickEsIt's only on tv ALL the time, I can understand why some people … WickEsIt's only on tv ALL the time, I can understand why some people can't spell it.

maybe he only watches BBC and doesnt give a ****
Mod & Ed
we used this it might not be the correct stuff, but seemed to work & its still up

with the shed I tried to cut the board with an electric carving knife, it didn't work in the end my husband who took over the job used this

OP how many plaster boards do you need to adhere ? you can buy dry wall adhesive in bags of 25kg and they set accordign to how much water is in the mix.

wishihadadonkey

we used this it might not be the correct stuff, but seemed to work & its … we used this it might not be the correct stuff, but seemed to work & its still upwith the shed I tried to cut the board with an electric carving knife, it didn't work in the end my husband who took over the job used this

LOL at using an electric carving knife. WIHAD i know im stepping out of line by saying this to a professional BUT you can use a stanley knife and score a line down it a few times and snap the board with ease. No need for a saw.
One more thing OP, why not screw the palsterboard on to wood? its much better and a more prefered route to adhesive.
Original Poster
Yeah, i was looking at some youtube vids on this. What screws would you recommend?
I honestly believe that there is nothing better than day old left over cornflakes. They are the strongest glue I've ever encountered.
Hand shandy glue.
Stamp on the gloy bottle
wishihadadonkey

with the shed I tried to cut the board with an electric carving knife, it … with the shed I tried to cut the board with an electric carving knife, it didn't work

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/gatsby6306/Smileys/thsmiley_loony.gif
You want this http://www.diytools.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/332x332/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/n/unibond-no-more-nails-exterior-cartridge-300-ml.jpg
wishihadadonkey

we used this it might not be the correct stuff, but seemed to work & its … we used this it might not be the correct stuff, but seemed to work & its still upwith the shed I tried to cut the board with an electric carving knife, it didn't work in the end my husband who took over the job used this

He used a dagger to cut a plaster board?
All you need is a stanley knife, make a cut with the knife where you want. then tap the plasterboard from the other side it should split eactly where you marked it. Then just swipe the paper off from the other side.
Watch this video videojug.com/fil…all
Gripfill is the stuff you need.
Banned
screws are best and cheapest method , is it a stud wall ?
Original Poster
yes, a stud wall.
You cut the existing plasterboard back to the wood, then patch and screw with drywall screws. No adhesive required, then plaster over the patch.
As the adhesives dry hard with no flex, i would always recommend screwing the plaster board in as wood contracts and expands by mm during the day and night.
As for what screw to use.. dry wall screws, as they have a bigger thread and pitch which bites int o the chalk of the board. Cut the board with a STANLEY knife and not an electric bread knife!!!!!! You can put a woven tape over the patch if you wish as this will help to stop the palster from cracking at the joint.
hope this helps
Banned
Araldite

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions