What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?

Found 21st Sep 2017
I am looking to upgrade my television to a 4K HDR, just because I want a 55, rather than my 4 year old 47 HD. So why not go 4K HDR right?

So I also have a 7 year old AV Receiver due to multiple entertainment systems and a surround sound set up. Turns out I would need a new one to support 4K HDR, and ideally I would like to also have wireless 5.1 surround sound as my living room is 'L' shaped.

Is it even possible to have an AV reciever set up with wireless surround sound as a package?

Totting it all up is staggering

Samsung 55 HDR 4K - £650
Xbox One X - £400
AV Receiver - £2/300
Wireless surround sound - £200+

What other hidden costs am I missing?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
A decent 4K OLED TV will cost that alone.

Missing UHD Blu-ray player, 4K streaming subscription.
why do you want a av receiver for?
Original Poster
OBH6UK42 m ago

A decent 4K OLED TV will cost that alone.Missing UHD Blu-ray player, 4K …A decent 4K OLED TV will cost that alone.Missing UHD Blu-ray player, 4K streaming subscription.

Luckily.... UHD blu ray is built into the Xbox One X lol!

Its unreal the costs just to get with the times, cannot see it getting much cheaper than this, bar couple hundred on the TV.
A £650 TV has little ability to display HDR, the vast majority don't even have local dimming.

If you're replacing a newish existing TV specifically for HDR then the sensible choice is something like a Sony XE93 or LG B7 at around £1700. That'll give you something able to show most of the HDR improvements.even if it doesn't have the dynamic range of an ZD9 at twice the price.

At £650 the main improvement is going to come from the higher content quality rather than any display technologies on the TV, HDCP 2.2 to access the highest quality streams/broadcasts and the better processing power of the XBox One X.

HDR is just not a mid-range technology right now. Given how young your current TV is I'd be inclined to wait another four to six years before upgrading. Reasonable HDR support and self-emitting displays like OLED are likely to bring bigger picture quality improvements over your current TV than anything available now.
darkstryder3601 h, 30 m ago

Luckily.... UHD blu ray is built into the Xbox One X lol!Its unreal the …Luckily.... UHD blu ray is built into the Xbox One X lol!Its unreal the costs just to get with the times, cannot see it getting much cheaper than this, bar couple hundred on the TV.

Not really, you don't have to have this stuff it's a choice. It's no different to any hobby or interest. We learn to live within our means. Some people like to travel, other prefer to spend loads on a car. Some like to go out drinking every weekend (and that's certainly not cheap!).

I just went through a similar process of upgrading my 'tech' For a new TV, AV Receiver, Speakers and Blu-Ray UHD I have spend about £2k. And that's only towards the top end of what you would call entry level kit.
whelan1894 h, 4 m ago

why do you want a av receiver for?

I agree. An average receiver/amp is to drive speakers which need a separate device for the purpose. Most wireless speaker systems use less powerful speakers and they can be driven from the main unit supplied with the speakers.
Also, a £650 55" 4k TV will be poo, if you are going to upgrade to 4k you want a proper 10bit set.
MIDURIX1 h, 6 m ago

I agree. An average receiver/amp is to drive speakers which need a …I agree. An average receiver/amp is to drive speakers which need a separate device for the purpose. Most wireless speaker systems use less powerful speakers and they can be driven from the main unit supplied with the speakers. Also, a £650 55" 4k TV will be poo, if you are going to upgrade to 4k you want a proper 10bit set.

I think poo is a bit harsh as unless you have eyes like a mantis shrimp the vast majority of inferior male eyes can't see colour that well as most of us are colour blind. I wouldn't go nuts on specs as like sound unless you can tell the difference you're just throwing money away. 55" is probably too small anyway to get the true effect of 4k.

I would just grab what is reasonable now and upgrade earlier when the tech gets cheaper.
Original Poster
kester7615 h, 19 m ago

I think poo is a bit harsh as unless you have eyes like a mantis shrimp …I think poo is a bit harsh as unless you have eyes like a mantis shrimp the vast majority of inferior male eyes can't see colour that well as most of us are colour blind. I wouldn't go nuts on specs as like sound unless you can tell the difference you're just throwing money away. 55" is probably too small anyway to get the true effect of 4k. I would just grab what is reasonable now and upgrade earlier when the tech gets cheaper.

Makes sense, seems reasonable later down the line to get a 60+...

EndlessWaves20 h, 27 m ago

A £650 TV has little ability to display HDR, the vast majority don't even …A £650 TV has little ability to display HDR, the vast majority don't even have local dimming.If you're replacing a newish existing TV specifically for HDR then the sensible choice is something like a Sony XE93 or LG B7 at around £1700. That'll give you something able to show most of the HDR improvements.even if it doesn't have the dynamic range of an ZD9 at twice the price.At £650 the main improvement is going to come from the higher content quality rather than any display technologies on the TV, HDCP 2.2 to access the highest quality streams/broadcasts and the better processing power of the XBox One X.HDR is just not a mid-range technology right now. Given how young your current TV is I'd be inclined to wait another four to six years before upgrading. Reasonable HDR support and self-emitting displays like OLED are likely to bring bigger picture quality improvements over your current TV than anything available now.

Its a Samsung one, it has 10% discount with the argos code. Anything over 700 for a television is ludicrous for me personally. I agree with the wait, I just literally want a larger display My AMOLED screen on my Samsung S8 phone is beautfiul and thats a larger resolution than my television, an OLED tv would be perfect but yeh, too much cheddar.

ipswich7818 h, 58 m ago

Not really, you don't have to have this stuff it's a choice. It's no …Not really, you don't have to have this stuff it's a choice. It's no different to any hobby or interest. We learn to live within our means. Some people like to travel, other prefer to spend loads on a car. Some like to go out drinking every weekend (and that's certainly not cheap!).I just went through a similar process of upgrading my 'tech' For a new TV, AV Receiver, Speakers and Blu-Ray UHD I have spend about £2k. And that's only towards the top end of what you would call entry level kit.

I know I dont need it, its a fictional scenario if I just wanted to have 4K HDR. And yes, I spend enough on my 1990 MX5 I know the feels of constant spending.

2K for entry level what the... how?! lol

MIDURIX16 h, 25 m ago

I agree. An average receiver/amp is to drive speakers which need a …I agree. An average receiver/amp is to drive speakers which need a separate device for the purpose. Most wireless speaker systems use less powerful speakers and they can be driven from the main unit supplied with the speakers. Also, a £650 55" 4k TV will be poo, if you are going to upgrade to 4k you want a proper 10bit set.

I have always thought an AV receiver was necessary, I have an Xbox, Virgin TIVO, PS4, Steam Link, all going to the AV, which then goes to the 5.1 surround, and that goes to the TV with one cable. What other solution is there with that many devices? Its 650 with a 10% discount if that makes it less poo.
darkstryder36053 m ago

I dont need it, its a fictional scenario if I just wanted to have 4K HDR. …I dont need it, its a fictional scenario if I just wanted to have 4K HDR. And yes, I spend enough on my 1990 MX5 I know the feels of constant spending.2K for entry level what the... how?!

It's a new technology. The car world equivalent would be something like an electric roadster.

Sure, you can buy something that might be marketed that way for £10k:32059981-UcjsS.jpg

But right now if you want the real thing you're looking at £30-40K or more.

Prices on HDR TVs and Electric roadsters will both drop dramatically over the next 5-10 years but like many things you pay a lot for being the first to adopt a new technology.
darkstryder3601 h, 14 m ago

Makes sense, seems reasonable later down the line to get a 60+... Its a …Makes sense, seems reasonable later down the line to get a 60+... Its a Samsung one, it has 10% discount with the argos code. Anything over 700 for a television is ludicrous for me personally. I agree with the wait, I just literally want a larger display My AMOLED screen on my Samsung S8 phone is beautfiul and thats a larger resolution than my television, an OLED tv would be perfect but yeh, too much cheddar.I know I dont need it, its a fictional scenario if I just wanted to have 4K HDR. And yes, I spend enough on my 1990 MX5 I know the feels of constant spending.2K for entry level what the... how?! lolI have always thought an AV receiver was necessary, I have an Xbox, Virgin TIVO, PS4, Steam Link, all going to the AV, which then goes to the 5.1 surround, and that goes to the TV with one cable. What other solution is there with that many devices? Its 650 with a 10% discount if that makes it less poo.

Samsung UE55KS7000 - £850
Denon AVR-X2300W / Q Acoustics 3000 Surround Sound 5.1 Speakers - £880
Samsung UBD-M9000 UHD / Blu-Ray Player - £150
Cables (HDMI / Speaker) - £60

It all adds up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions