Alloys...What’s their value?

Posted 5th Jun
Hi all, hoping this post is allowed...

I have these alloys which, as you can see, are marked up. Was planning on throwing them out but someone said either sell or scrap them for scrap metal price, but I don’t have a clue!

Was wondering if anyone knows what 4 of them are worth roughly (they are 17” I believe but can’t see a brand name anywhere)?

Or would I be better going for scrap value? I had scrap quotes around 6 months ago based on their weight (which I now can’t remember!) and think i was quoted around the £40 mark.

Any advice much appreciated.

3478909.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
May as well sell them for scrap, £70 better than nothing
That’s my thought. But just checking they aren’t worth more by selling them as they are?
part number/maker would usually be stamped on the back of one of the spokes.
look like cheapy aftermarket jobs (based on there being two sizes of stud holes and the design)
May as well sell for scrap, it would cost someone 50-70 quid per corner for the referb
If they’re aftermarket, then they won’t be worth much. Trying listing them on Gumtree or similar for a while first - you never know, they might be just what someone is after. And they can be repaired for £60 ish. If no one is interested then scrap them.

If they’re not aftermarket, then check out their spacing and which models they fit. Then do an eBay search - factory fit wheels can sometimes be worth a lot more if they’re sought after.
Edited by: "edanfalls" 5th Jun
mas9905/06/2020 14:16

part number/maker would usually be stamped on the back of one of the …part number/maker would usually be stamped on the back of one of the spokes.look like cheapy aftermarket jobs (based on there being two sizes of stud holes and the design)

Will get them out tomorrow and have a check. Thanks
edanfalls05/06/2020 14:20

If they’re aftermarket, then they won’t be worth much. Trying listing them …If they’re aftermarket, then they won’t be worth much. Trying listing them on Gumtree or similar for a while first - you never know, they might be just what someone is after. And they can be repaired for £60 ish. If no one is interested then scrap them.If they’re not aftermarket, then check out their spacing and which models they fit. Then do an eBay search - factory fit wheels can sometimes be worth a lot more if they’re sought after.

That’s an idea. Especially being I’m in no rush to get rid, they’re in storage out the way. What would you put them up for, if they’re aftermarket?
Gumtree of Facebook Market place. List for £100 to account for idiot offers. Then accept anything from £70+.

Then pray the car they were on now has a more sympathetic owner or steel wheels
Edited by: "Oneday77" 5th Jun
Oneday7705/06/2020 15:26

Gumtree of Facebook Market place. List for £100 to account for idiot …Gumtree of Facebook Market place. List for £100 to account for idiot offers. Then accept anything from £70+. Then prey the car they were on now has a more sympathetic owner or steel wheels

thanks
Why didn't you fix them ?
Sandpaper, aluminium paste ... think it's called TPOl, spray paints would have made it good as new.
£60-£70, I think is being a bit optimistic to be honest, we can just get about £70 for a whole car at the moment.

40987973-adIOa.jpg
I scraped four alloys last year to EMR a think it's called, £46 I'm sure they gave me and they pay into your bank.
I had them on Gumtree for £40 and kept getting people saying I'll give you £20
I think the last time I scrapped alloy wheels it was £10 a wheel I’m sure the price of scrap is really low just now.
Think I would wait till dark and then roll them down the road....
richp05/06/2020 17:08

£60-£70, I think is being a bit optimistic to be honest, we can just get a …£60-£70, I think is being a bit optimistic to be honest, we can just get about £70 for a whole car at the moment.[Image]

My bad...Just checked and it was actually around the £40 mark. It’s been a long day
zworld05/06/2020 16:06

Why didn't you fix them ?Sandpaper, aluminium paste ... think it's called …Why didn't you fix them ?Sandpaper, aluminium paste ... think it's called TPOl, spray paints would have made it good as new.

Honestly? Because I wouldn’t have a clue what I’m doing!
clairebear09005/06/2020 23:53

My bad...Just checked and it was actually around the £40 mark. It’s been a …My bad...Just checked and it was actually around the £40 mark. It’s been a long day

Stick them on eBay with a £50 starting bid. Give it a week and they will either be sold for more or not. Then consider scrapping them.
zworld06/06/2020 17:16

[Video] …[Video] https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/u-pol-u-pol-alloy-wheel-filler-250ml-UPL.MET_SI just watched the Youtube video

ChrisFix is the man, Ive learnt a lot from his videos.
zworld06/06/2020 17:16

[Video] …[Video] https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/u-pol-u-pol-alloy-wheel-filler-250ml-UPL.MET_SI just watched the Youtube video

Just checked it out. Really cool job! I wouldn’t be against giving them a go but that was quite a list of stuff he used there, especially for someone that owns none of it.
Wondering how much that would all cost me vs how much more I could get for the alloys after completing the work??
clairebear09006/06/2020 22:03

Just checked it out. Really cool job! I wouldn’t be against giving them a g …Just checked it out. Really cool job! I wouldn’t be against giving them a go but that was quite a list of stuff he used there, especially for someone that owns none of it. Wondering how much that would all cost me vs how much more I could get for the alloys after completing the work??

Well, you need
- Sandpaper £1 from Poundland
- U-POL U-Pol Alloy Wheel Filler - £10.49
- STERLING SILVER ALLOY WHEEL PAINT CAN 400ML QUICK DRYING CRACK & FLAKE RESISTANT - £4.99
- E-Tech Alloy Wheel Lacquer 400ml - Chip Resistant - £7.25
zworld06/06/2020 22:50

Well, you need- Sandpaper £1 from Poundland- U-POL U-Pol Alloy Wheel …Well, you need- Sandpaper £1 from Poundland- U-POL U-Pol Alloy Wheel Filler - £10.49- STERLING SILVER ALLOY WHEEL PAINT CAN 400ML QUICK DRYING CRACK & FLAKE RESISTANT - £4.99- E-Tech Alloy Wheel Lacquer 400ml - Chip Resistant - £7.25

Oh ok, less than I thought! Anyone know how that would effect what they are worth? Sorry for the questions...can you tell I’m clueless
Check Completed listings on ebay for alloys for your car make and that should give a very good idea.
harlzter06/06/2020 17:24

ChrisFix is the man, Ive learnt a lot from his videos.

Me too.
I watched this exact videos to fix curb rashes on my alloy wheels on my Focus. I don't have the tools or the jack to remove the wheels or separate the alloys. So, I had to attempt my fixes while the tyres were on the car. I ended up spray painting little areas on my tyres and then had to buy a black tyre paint to paint over the silver overspray.

I have also tried ChriFIX's shaving gel method to keep my car demisted from the inside during the winter.
zworld07/06/2020 14:11

Me too.I watched this exact videos to fix curb rashes on my alloy wheels …Me too.I watched this exact videos to fix curb rashes on my alloy wheels on my Focus. I don't have the tools or the jack to remove the wheels or separate the alloys. So, I had to attempt my fixes while the tyres were on the car. I ended up spray painting little areas on my tyres and then had to buy a black tyre paint to paint over the silver overspray.I have also tried ChriFIX's shaving gel method to keep my car demisted from the inside during the winter.

I just use the poundshop antifog spray it seems to do the job OK (works on my shaving mirror in the shower and motorbike helmet visors too
Edited by: "harlzter" 7th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text