What is this?

Posted 28th Oct
3318242.jpgThis fell off my car today whilst I was driving it. Any idea what it is? Still drives fine. Thanks.
3318242.jpg
3318242.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
38822020-SrGDs.jpg
simonpriest28/10/2019 15:03

I've read that some vehicles don't really need these heat shields?

Why do they fit them?
24 Comments
A heat shield. Perhaps from engine manifold or turbo?
A bit small but it reminds me of an exhast heat shield. Some have more than one in "strategic" places.
Interesting. Because there was a rattling noise which I thought could have been heat shield prior to it falling off.
The scrapes on the face of it means it's been in contact with something - i.e. the ground/kerb etc.
simonpriest28/10/2019 15:00

Interesting. Because there was a rattling noise which I thought could have …Interesting. Because there was a rattling noise which I thought could have been heat shield prior to it falling off.

It was rattling because some of the bolts/screws had already come out! Hanging on for it's dear life, I guess!

Why do they fit them?

Whilst it's very true that some are fitted with a "belt and braces" approach, I couldn't possibly comment on yours as it's a safety issue. I'm not going to be one of those that just says "leave it off . It'll be fine" as some ARE important.
fearona28/10/2019 15:09

Why do they fit them?

That's what I thought when I read that particular comment!
Hubby says, Heatshield from Cat converter which get very hot he says.
I can tell you (from your pic) which fastener came out first though! Hehe. If you decide to put it back on, you'll need a good washer.
joyf453628/10/2019 15:12

Hubby says, Heatshield from Cat converter which get very hot he says.

Any idea of best place to purchase a replacement? Or can this one be reused?
Edited by: "simonpriest" 28th Oct
yep defo heat shield. can reuse weld, rivet or improvise.
simonpriest28/10/2019 15:17

Any idea of best place to purchase a replacement? Or can this one be …Any idea of best place to purchase a replacement? Or can this one be reused?

If you aren't confident, any garage would bolt it back on in mere minutes. If you are, just find out the correct fasteners for the job and get your hands dirty. Just remember that one of those holes looks elongated (which is probably the cause of the failure) so would need shimming with a suitable washer.
ssc128/10/2019 15:28

Yes, of course. It could be rivited couldn't it? Perhaps one rusted through which caused the movement. Need to get underneath and have a gander really.
Is this a game
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS28/10/2019 15:36

Is this a game

Haha. Yes, deer-hunting was getting tiresome! Name-that-part so much more fun.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 28th Oct
Did you drive through an aquarium? it's one of those flat fish.
Just get it refitted using washers bigger than the holes
simonpriest28/10/2019 15:17

Any idea of best place to purchase a replacement? Or can this one be …Any idea of best place to purchase a replacement? Or can this one be reused?

ssc128/10/2019 15:28

Or a BIG jubilee clip (Fleabay)
38822020-SrGDs.jpg
Thanks for all your helpful comments. Appreciate it.
Phsycronix28/10/2019 15:01

The scrapes on the face of it means it's been in contact with something - …The scrapes on the face of it means it's been in contact with something - i.e. the ground/kerb etc.

Only matter of time till the rattling gets worse and whole things comes off.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants