Groups

What is this??

Hey there, i need help identifying this cable:

img108.imageshack.us/my.…jpgimg108.imageshack.us/img…jpg
    (click for a larger version)

i think it's a satellite cable, but i want to be 100% sure before plugging in

thanks

14 Comments

Looks like satellite cable to me! :thumbsup:

Looks a bit big for a sat cable, although it could just be the picture...

Looks like an SMA connector to me:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/SMA_connector.jpg/200px-SMA_connector.jpg

Some dimensions would help

Original Poster

what's an SMA connector?

en.wikipedia.org/wik…tor

Is there any chance you could advise what this cable is connected to etc?

Original Poster

it's just coming out of the wall, and i've never connected anything to it (rented flat)

It could be an F Connector (from a Satellite Dish), or it could be a connection from something like a Wireless Antenna...

Most likely Birdy is right though. Check if there is a satellite dish on the building and if there is, you might be in luck to grab a Free to Air satellite receiver and get some Free to Air Channels...

Original Poster

i'm sure it's either satellite or cable, so it must be satellite from all your comments

thanks very much for the help

Well, cable does also use the same connection, so it might not be satellite (forgot about the cable aspect)...

The easy way to check if it is cable is to follow where the cable comes through the outside wall and trace it to a grey box which has wires coming from the ground, if this is the case, it's cable.

Err... this should be in the Misc section?

**Moved to Misc section. Comments & Suggestions is for HotUKDeals-related queries, suggestions and problems. Thanks.**

Could be a co-axel cable? ntl use them, its a cable wire.

Looks like a cable sticking out of a sofa!, Could be a bit uncomfortable!

(looks like a cable connection!)

Looks like a Cable cable or a Sat cable.

Original Poster

yes the cable is coming out of a sofa, it's a kind of electronic acupuncture

hehe, i was just using it to hold the cable mid air
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2635
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2241
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346

See more discussions