Groups

What is this plant?

Growing on my dads drive its took about 5/6 weeks to grow to almost 5 foot from nothing, very unusual as each set of leaves is 90 degrees to the ones above/below it and its a solid leaf from left to right growing around the stem, the leaves form a cup to the stem to gather water, and it has small spikes on which grab any insects landing on it and doesnt release them!
    Its almost like something from little shop of horrors, very unusual but very cool in its own rights!

31 Comments

Original Poster

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/Picture3.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/Picture4.jpg

Sorry for poor quality took on an old SE t610

Its a weed.

yup, prob cannabis, lol

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5604319

Its a weed.

A weed by definition is something that is growing where its not wanted, I'm looking to find out because I WANT one!

Original Poster

wickedteen;5604321

yup, prob cannabis, lol

Sadly not!:x

Well it looks like dock leafs.

Its growing on your dads drive, along with his weeds, its a WEED.

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5604328

Well it looks like dock leafs.Its growing on your dads drive, along with … Well it looks like dock leafs.Its growing on your dads drive, along with his weeds, its a WEED.

Other weeds? The plants at the side are chives:p

a weed could be a rose growing in a cabage patch so what type plant is it its not a weed if its were they like it its a plant but no clue on what plant

Original Poster

kylejohns;5604334

a weed could be a rose growing in a cabage patch so what type plant is it … a weed could be a rose growing in a cabage patch so what type plant is it its not a week if its were they like it its a plant but no clue on what plant

+1 Finally someone with sense!

harlzter;5604333

Other weeds? The plants at the side are chives:p

lol, a dunno maybe its a very big chive then, but definetly looks like a dock leaf thing, they grow to about 4 ft in my garden before the first cut in spring, the stalks are really thick and ya cant get through them with a strimmer.

harlzter;5604337

+1 Finally someone with sense!

Hey, I have sense. :x

AshleyRFC;5604345

in the words of a legend stupid is as stupid does

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5604345

Didnt mean you, just generalising as people often say a weed thinking that because a plant is generally perceived to be a weed it IS ALWAYS A WEED, like dandelions (some grow them specifically for rabbits or culinary purposes) looked at dock leaves but nothing like as these leaves form a cup from left to right to channel water to the stem.:thumbsup:

harlzter;5604353

Didnt mean you, looked at dock leaves but nothing like as these leaves … Didnt mean you, looked at dock leaves but nothing like as these leaves form a cup from left to right to channel water to the stem.:thumbsup:

If your wanting one how about trying to take a little clipping and planting it in your garden?

Or taking a little clipping to like dobbies or something like that with a garden centre.

Original Poster

kylejohns;5604351

in the words of a legend stupid is as stupid does

Looks Like Rosebay Willowherb
    http://www.lifesciences.napier.ac.uk/courses/postgrad/wlfiles/SpringFlowers/RosebayWillowherb.jpg

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5604358

If your wanting one how about trying to take a little clipping and … If your wanting one how about trying to take a little clipping and planting it in your garden?Or taking a little clipping to like dobbies or something like that with a garden centre.

Our local dobbies wouldnt have a clue, I asked them about aloe vera plants, their reply "You cant grow them in the uk its too cold!":w00t: (I have 1 in the garden and 2 in kitchen, just wanted more for their antiseptic/healing properties)

I'm going to try taking a clipping before we leave and putting some rooting hormone on it. Thanks for the idea.

Looks like a teasel. Under no circumstances let it go to seed or it'll be everywhere.

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5604370

You should see the size of the thistle growing near my front door, it's … You should see the size of the thistle growing near my front door, it's nearly a foot tall,lol, I'm keeping it there too, gonna see how big it gets:-D

Thistles are quite nice when left to fully grow!

Have a look in the neighbours garden, see if they have any, coulda just been a seed that blew over and dropped down beside his chives.

This is a teasel.

http://weeds.hotmeal.net/weeds/Common_Teasel.jpg

Original Poster

chesso;5604378

Looks like a teasel. Under no circumstances let it go to seed or it'll be … Looks like a teasel. Under no circumstances let it go to seed or it'll be everywhere.

My god I love you Chesso bang on the mark, may have to rething growing one myself then!

starsparkle2311;5604372

errrrrr no it doesn't:p

YOUR RIGHT MY[SIZE=4] EYE [/SIZE][SIZE=5]SIGHT IS[/SIZE][SIZE=6] GETTING [/SIZE][SIZE=7]WORSE[/SIZE]

harlzter;5604387

My god I love you Chesso bang on the mark, may have to rething growing … My god I love you Chesso bang on the mark, may have to rething growing one myself then!

Love you too Harlz:-D

Just don't grow any down the allotments - you'll be strung up!!

harlzter;5604387

My god I love you Chesso bang on the mark, may have to rething growing … My god I love you Chesso bang on the mark, may have to rething growing one myself then!

So a weed???

looks like a triffid to me, have you tried salt water on it?:lol:

Triffid - be careful

chesso;5604378

Looks like a teasel. Under no circumstances let it go to seed or it'll be … Looks like a teasel. Under no circumstances let it go to seed or it'll be everywhere.

+1

Bobef90;5604902

Triffid - be careful

lol.

the worst book i ever read 'the day of the triffids'.. just bought back bad memories..

Its a triffid beware!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!88
      2. Nectar launch eGift card redemption for selected brands including Currys, A…44
      3. Spotify Family Premium share59
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767221

See more discussions