What is Vodafone like to deal with?

I am currently on O2 and have been for a good few years however I need a new phone and the one I have chosen is coming in a fair bit cheaper with Vodafone.

Where I live I only have the choice of these two networks and I have been perfectly happy with O2 customer service. They've been pretty good over the years. There has been a lot of negative press for Vodafone of late and they have a shockingly bad trust pilot score. The saving is £10pm or £240 over the 2 year contract, which is a fair chunk but will I regret it?

Every review I've read says don't touch them but unless there is problem and you need to contact them is there a chance it could be ok? I really don't want to pay an extra tenner a month, and to cap it off for the extra tenner a month it is not even as much data.

Anyone got anything positive to say about Vodafone? Or all negative?

Any advice will be appreciated.

39 Comments

there not great
I'm just gluing of the two people who I know who's had trouble with them.
Always broken promises ,never getting the problem fixed and would just throw free things at them in way of a apology.
but you may never have a problem so might not need to contact them.

can you get it any cheaper with giffgaff? they are o2

Never really had a problem with Vodafone. Been with them for over 6 years.
Edited by: "RossD89" 15th Feb

Vodafone customer service is diabolical, was going to take a contract with them last year and had faulty phone sent to me. 3 months and about 10-12 hrs on phone to them I was about to give up then I got hold of a chief executive email address and was sorted next day.

Terrible customer service end of . Have you phoned O2 and asked them to match . ? I found a deal online , cancelled with EE as I thought no way they would match . Redemptions called and matched it to the penny .
Edited by: "plodging" 15th Feb

I am also with vodafone and have no problems whatsoever apart from realy awful signals at my place.

Like most of these firms, there's always people that have had bad experiences with them. Been with Vodafone for the last two years and have never had an issue. I went with them as they had the best signal in my area and have had no reason to phone them up since and am looking to upgrade with them next month.

silo

Like most of these firms, there's always people that have had bad … Like most of these firms, there's always people that have had bad experiences with them. Been with Vodafone for the last two years and have never had an issue. I went with them as they had the best signal in my area and have had no reason to phone them up since and am looking to upgrade with them next month.

Think the point is , IF and WHEN you have an issue its going to be a nightmare. They took a double payment from me and it took hours and hours of calls , and weeks and weeks to get it back . Then they totally screwed up porting my number so i lost it , again hours and hours of calls .
Every company is perfect until you need customer services .

People are quick to voice greivances but never so quick to heap praise. Hence why forums are full of complaints.

Ive been with them for years and never had an issue but then I never really have the need to call them other than upgrades/contract renewal. Last time I did it via live chat and sorted within 20mins.

plodging

Think the point is , IF and WHEN you have an issue its going to be a … Think the point is , IF and WHEN you have an issue its going to be a nightmare. They took a double payment from me and it took hours and hours of calls , and weeks and weeks to get it back . Then they totally screwed up porting my number so i lost it , again hours and hours of calls . Every company is perfect until you need customer services .

I think the point is if and when something happens you might have a bad experience with their CS. I never have had an issue when contacting them, yet I am aware of others who have.

Let's face it, all networks are as bad or good as each other, there will always be someone who's had a bad experience with a particular network and others who've had good.

RossD89

I think the point is if and when something happens you might have a bad … I think the point is if and when something happens you might have a bad experience with their CS. I never have had an issue when contacting them, yet I am aware of others who have.

Trustpilot.. 0.4 out of 10 (3700) , reviews.co.uk 1.2 out of 10 . good luck with that . Voted the worst customer services in the UK in 2016 .
Edited by: "plodging" 15th Feb

Was 6 years with O2 and never had a cause to complain about their service. Done what you've been thinking about and went with a cheaper deal with Vodafone and wish I'd stayed with O2. Nothing is easy with them and yes appreciate people's comments about you'll only have a problem when you need to contact them but I didn't need to contact O2 at all in my time with them other than to terminate contract.

plodging

Trustpilot.. 0.4 out of 10 (3700) , reviews.co.uk 1.2 out of 10 . good … Trustpilot.. 0.4 out of 10 (3700) , reviews.co.uk 1.2 out of 10 . good luck with that .

Don't really care, mate. The fact is there is a chance you may have a bad experience. It is not fact that you will.

The point is reviews are made by people contacting with problems , and how these are dealt with . Not the majority who never have a reason to contact them . And Vodafone are the worst ..along with NPower companies to avoid.

plodging

The point is reviews are made by people contacting with problems , and … The point is reviews are made by people contacting with problems , and how these are dealt with . Not the majority who never have a reason to contact them . And Vodafone are the worst ..along with NPower companies to avoid.

I have had problems and they were sorted no problem.

deleted1546665

Stay well clear of Vodafone
Bad customer service
Very bad signal
Over charging
Extra charges
Broken promises

Now choice is yours

They're all as bad as each other, I've had good and bad experiences on Vodafone, They've recently upgraded masts in my area so full 4G signal :). One situation I had to call them about 20 times to sort the issue out but it got more confusing each time I called them lol, Got there in the end, Had to cancel the contract and reorder.
Edited by: "shauneco" 15th Feb

I don't think any of them are any good. you have to pick the best of the worst!

drtongue

I don't think any of them are any good. you have to pick the best of the … I don't think any of them are any good. you have to pick the best of the worst!

In this case Vodafone appears to be the worst of the worst .. Proud winners of the worst customer services in the UK 2016.

Original Poster

o0bean0o0head0o

can you get it any cheaper with giffgaff? they are o2

​I've just checked and sadly it's also more expensive, although not as much as O2. £45 up front instead of nothing and just over £4 more pm and is slightly less data.

Original Poster

plodging

Terrible customer service end of . Have you phoned O2 and asked them to … Terrible customer service end of . Have you phoned O2 and asked them to match . ? I found a deal online , cancelled with EE as I thought no way they would match . Redemptions called and matched it to the penny .

​Yes, I tried on a couple of occasions. By the end the person at O2 even said I'm best to leave as they can't even get close. I think it is because Vodafone have an offer on at the moment for large data allowance that no other network can seem to match.

Original Poster

valhallablue

Was 6 years with O2 and never had a cause to complain about their … Was 6 years with O2 and never had a cause to complain about their service. Done what you've been thinking about and went with a cheaper deal with Vodafone and wish I'd stayed with O2. Nothing is easy with them and yes appreciate people's comments about you'll only have a problem when you need to contact them but I didn't need to contact O2 at all in my time with them other than to terminate contract.

​Yes this is my dilemma. Looking back, would you prefer to pay £240 more to stay with O2?

I've been with them for years and they've been fine but a few months back I noticed an extra £54 charge on my account. It appears that I made a four hour call to my other number (used by my girlfriend) which took me way over my minutes and into hyper-charging territory. I was with her for most of the day in question and anyway and would never make a call of that length. Even if we did make a call the chances of both her and me not ending the call would be very low. I raised the issue and the call centre basically said their records cannot be wrong. They said they'd look into it but never got back to me. Two weeks later a Vodafone customer satisfaction person called me to ask if my query had been resolved. I said it hadn't and rather unhelpfully they suggested I get back in touch with the call centre (so what was the point of the customer satisfaction follow-up?). I did get back in touch with the call centre threatening to end my contract, they said they'd investigate, but again I heard nothing more. I wrote to the head office a couple of months ago about the issue, still no response. The other week I got a general text from Vodafone asking me to rate their service. I tried to respond to that with a low score but the text number came up as not valid. Ignoring low scores sounds like a good way of getting a high customer service rating (and even then they're still one of the worst). I find the service OK and the response via the shops great but the online/call centre customer service when you have a problem is appalling. I'm now looking to cancel and go elsewhere.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate the feedback. I'm currently edging towards the deal and hope I never have to contact them.

Original Poster

ims2912

I've been with them for years and they've been fine but a few months back … I've been with them for years and they've been fine but a few months back I noticed an extra £54 charge on my account. It appears that I made a four hour call to my other number (used by my girlfriend) which took me way over my minutes and into hyper-charging territory. I was with her for most of the day in question and anyway and would never make a call of that length. Even if we did make a call the chances of both her and me not ending the call would be very low. I raised the issue and the call centre basically said their records cannot be wrong. They said they'd look into it but never got back to me. Two weeks later a Vodafone customer satisfaction person called me to ask if my query had been resolved. I said it hadn't and rather unhelpfully they suggested I get back in touch with the call centre (so what was the point of the customer satisfaction follow-up?). I did get back in touch with the call centre threatening to end my contract, they said they'd investigate, but again I heard nothing more. I wrote to the head office a couple of months ago about the issue, still no response. The other week I got a general text from Vodafone asking me to rate their service. I tried to respond to that with a low score but the text number came up as not valid. Ignoring low scores sounds like a good way of getting a high customer service rating (and even then they're still one of the worst). I find the service OK and the response via the shops great but the online/call centre customer service when you have a problem is appalling. I'm now looking to cancel and go elsewhere.

​I've read a lot of reviews and comments regarding Vodafone and the most common complaint seems to be that they never phone anyone back. Also, there is no system that records all the incidents and different forms of contact so it means repeating yourself over and over again. That sounds pretty painful so I would hope I never had an issue.

Vodafone is a swear word in our house at the moment!
Ordered a new phone through them on 22nd Jan and literally only had my many issues rectified Fri evening!
I have never come so close to telling someone where to go in all my life!
Awful, terrible, painful, horrific, tragic, diabolical, shambolic company and customer service team (all departments- store, web chat, twitter)
I'd steer clear if I were you.

Signal great (for me)
Customer service, woeful.

I have been with all the other main providers and with Voda I see no difference in communication... if I have had a problem they have tried to sort it as any reputable business should, there is however a matter of the way they deal with you and truth must be said they aren't 100% brilliant but I have had no major issues to speak of

i've had bad experiences with o2, vodafone, three and giffgaff (signal/speed issues) so it doesnt really matter, they all have good and bad days

Rusty82

​Yes, I tried on a couple of occasions. By the end the person at O2 even s … ​Yes, I tried on a couple of occasions. By the end the person at O2 even said I'm best to leave as they can't even get close. I think it is because Vodafone have an offer on at the moment for large data allowance that no other network can seem to match.

That's what EE said to me .. So I cancelled and 2 days later retentions offered me the same matching deal .

Original Poster

chuckiedoll

Vodafone is a swear word in our house at the moment!Ordered a new phone … Vodafone is a swear word in our house at the moment!Ordered a new phone through them on 22nd Jan and literally only had my many issues rectified Fri evening! I have never come so close to telling someone where to go in all my life! Awful, terrible, painful, horrific, tragic, diabolical, shambolic company and customer service team (all departments- store, web chat, twitter)I'd steer clear if I were you.

​Thanks for your advice. I'm thinking about going through Carphone Warehouse instead of directly through Vodafone. In the hope that if there is any issues I will go through them and let them deal with it. For example, if there is an issue with the phone itself then they would take care of it. Never used them either though so not sure if they are just as bad.

Original Poster

Qrunch

Signal great (for me) Customer service, woeful.

​Cheers. The signal does appear to be better than what I have with O2, at least on the coverage checker. In real life I've no idea. What are Vodafone 4G speeds like? With O2 I get between 50 and 60mbps.

Original Poster

seanyboy89

I have been with all the other main providers and with Voda I see no … I have been with all the other main providers and with Voda I see no difference in communication... if I have had a problem they have tried to sort it as any reputable business should, there is however a matter of the way they deal with you and truth must be said they aren't 100% brilliant but I have had no major issues to speak of

​Good to know, cheers.

Awful!

Original Poster

Well, I took the plunge. Right away I had to contact them to port my number, and while the chap struggled slightly to understand me at times, he was very polite and managed to get it all done without issue. Signal seems better for voice at my home which is a plus. Hoping I'm one of the lucky ones... Thanks for all comments.

ive been with vodafone for around 8 years now and i cant say ive had any big problems with them. a few times the discount hasnt been applied properly but a web chat usually sorts it first time. but from all the complaints ive heard i do save all of the chat transcripts now just in case theres an issue

Original Poster

wavylines

ive been with vodafone for around 8 years now and i cant say ive had any … ive been with vodafone for around 8 years now and i cant say ive had any big problems with them. a few times the discount hasnt been applied properly but a web chat usually sorts it first time. but from all the complaints ive heard i do save all of the chat transcripts now just in case theres an issue

​Good idea, will keep that in mind for the future. Glad to hear you've been relatively trouble free for so long.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment33
    2. Selling advice11
    3. Bed pillow recommendations810
    4. Advertised on Gumtree22

See more discussions