Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

What is working at Aldi Bolton like?

Posted 7th Mar
If anyone has any experience I'd like to know what it's like working there. I was thinking of applying as a Night Chill Selector. Is it generally 25 hours and is overtime compulsory? What pension do they offer? Any advice is much appreciated.

TIA.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
All companies are required to enroll you into the government pension scheme now, you pay 5%, i think the employer pays 3%, these are pretty strange questions for someone who hasn't even applied yet, there will be hundreds of applications, just apply and ask questions at the interview if you get that far
Mark_Hickman07/03/2020 11:01

All companies are required to enroll you into the government pension …All companies are required to enroll you into the government pension scheme now, you pay 5%, i think the employer pays 3%, these are pretty strange questions for someone who hasn't even applied yet, there will be hundreds of applications, just apply and ask questions at the interview if you get that far

I am aware of those Pension rules that came in to effect but I think each company has its own rules above this for how much they will match. No harm in asking. Thanks.
Erudite07/03/2020 11:22

Comment deleted

I'm not a Boltoner. Didn't even know this is what you call someone from Bolton. I read it. No mention of what I'm asking above. Why so nasty?
-888-07/03/2020 15:43

I'm not a Boltoner. Didn't even know this is what you call someone from …I'm not a Boltoner. Didn't even know this is what you call someone from Bolton. I read it. No mention of what I'm asking above. Why so nasty?

I think its because you come across as expecting to apply for a part time minimum wage ( or close to minimum wage ) job that doesn't require any skill and get a fantastic pension and wouldn't be very happy if you had to do a bit of extra work.
The pension will just be the basic government run scheme i mentioned above, why would you expect something more in a basic skilled low paid job ? That's why i said your questions are strange, no one else would give a damn about those minor issues when they need a job, just apply and dont worry about it
ALDI pay a good wage for supermarket work. They just got an increase too, think it starts from around £9.40 an hour (higher in London areas). Compared to other supermarkets which just pay min wage or slightly above.
Mark_Hickman07/03/2020 16:04

I think its because you come across as expecting to apply for a part time …I think its because you come across as expecting to apply for a part time minimum wage ( or close to minimum wage ) job

They pay way more over minimum wage.

40061979-ER1sn.jpg
Mark_Hickman07/03/2020 16:04

I think its because you come across as expecting to apply for a part time …I think its because you come across as expecting to apply for a part time minimum wage ( or close to minimum wage ) job that doesn't require any skill and get a fantastic pension and wouldn't be very happy if you had to do a bit of extra work. The pension will just be the basic government run scheme i mentioned above, why would you expect something more in a basic skilled low paid job ? That's why i said your questions are strange, no one else would give a damn about those minor issues when they need a job, just apply and dont worry about it

Not at all. I work 45 hrs a week plus compulsory overtime. I'm looking to go down in hours. I know the wage at Aldi is better than average and it's probably 25 hrs per week but would like more so wanted to know the overtime situation.
guru40407/03/2020 16:38

ALDI pay a good wage for supermarket work. They just got an increase too, …ALDI pay a good wage for supermarket work. They just got an increase too, think it starts from around £9.40 an hour (higher in London areas). Compared to other supermarkets which just pay min wage or slightly above.

Thanks Guru. I know what the wage will be.
-888-07/03/2020 16:45

Not at all. I work 45 hrs a week plus compulsory overtime. I'm looking to …Not at all. I work 45 hrs a week plus compulsory overtime. I'm looking to go down in hours. I know the wage at Aldi is better than average and it's probably 25 hrs per week but would like more so wanted to know the overtime situation.

Then i suggest you pick better words when asking, you said is over time compulsory, meaning you dont want to do it
guru40407/03/2020 16:38

ALDI pay a good wage for supermarket work. They just got an increase too, …ALDI pay a good wage for supermarket work. They just got an increase too, think it starts from around £9.40 an hour (higher in London areas). Compared to other supermarkets which just pay min wage or slightly above.

Yes i had heard this from a colleague who's son works there, he also said they have a high staff turnover because they expect certain amounts of scans per hour through the till etc which can be ridiculous.
which is probably due to them over paying staff, doesn't make much sense if its true, lower the wage and dont try to over work people
Mark_Hickman07/03/2020 16:54

Yes i had heard this from a colleague who's son works there, he also said …Yes i had heard this from a colleague who's son works there, he also said they have a high staff turnover because they expect certain amounts of scans per hour through the till etc which can be ridiculous. which is probably due to them over paying staff, doesn't make much sense if its true, lower the wage and dont try to over work people

Yep. I know they are pretty hot on scanning and getting customers served asap. It is also pretty difficult to maintain a degree of customer service when you have to deal with people in such a rapid manner.

I've noticed, as customer, staff seem to come and go on a regular basis.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they start rolling out self-checkouts.
-888-07/03/2020 16:46

Thanks Guru. I know what the wage will be.

I went in there over Easter and the staff member said that they were on double pay (not bad for £20 an hour).
-888-07/03/2020 15:43

I'm not a Boltoner. Didn't even know this is what you call someone from …I'm not a Boltoner. Didn't even know this is what you call someone from Bolton. I read it. No mention of what I'm asking above. Why so nasty?

Boltonian
Mark_Hickman07/03/2020 16:54

Yes i had heard this from a colleague who's son works there, he also said …Yes i had heard this from a colleague who's son works there, he also said they have a high staff turnover because they expect certain amounts of scans per hour through the till etc which can be ridiculous. which is probably due to them over paying staff, doesn't make much sense if its true, lower the wage and dont try to over work people

Every time I go it seems this is not the case as I dont think you have a defined role such as 'till monkey' more you are expected to do a variety depending on customer volume.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants