What is your gym doing with memberships?

Posted 28th Mar
My local is a small independent has asked people to keep paying which is £35 a month or pay half price if you can not afford full. The email says if too many people Pause memberships they will go under.

What is everyones gym doing? Not sure what to do yet with mine
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
The Gym Group have extended their "pause your membership" from a single month to however long they have to remain closed.
If you happy to donate that money to keep them in business, carry on.
Don’t pay it
My Gym has stopped for 2 months initially.

Its not your lookout if they go under to be honest, there is government help for businesses available

Ask yourself. If Amazon or any other retailer asked your for £35 a month and you were gonna get nothing for it - would you pay it?! I know I wouldn't
Edited by: "rob2005" 28th Mar
Luckily my gym isn’t DD I just pay every month, I lost out on 3 weeks but I’m happy for them to keep that but I bet they wish they had everyone by dd instead.
I wouldn't do it and I would save your money. As stated above you are under no obligation to save this particular business, there is no guarantee that you paying (for nothing) will save it and it might go under anyway. How do you know that they will use the money wisely and not just pocket the cash and go still go bust. Lastly, when this is all over, you will need every penny as somene will have to pay for all the business bail outs, money to employees etc etc and it won't be the government and its unlikely to be the better off in society. It's likely to be you and I and my bet will be huge tax rises.
PureGym has frozen all memberships for at least a month, no payments will be taken out during the period.
My wife's gym has frozen all memberships, but have offered that if anyone wants to continue to pay they will hold that price for life!
They wanted me to pay reduced £10 until i resume, I just cancelled my direct debit, it was impossible to get hold of anyone.
Edited by: "samosa" 28th Mar
Fortunately mine in Cheshire is the council run group of leisure centres, they have emailed to say they will take no payments while closed.
steve122128/03/2020 16:03

My wife's gym has frozen all memberships, but have offered that if anyone …My wife's gym has frozen all memberships, but have offered that if anyone wants to continue to pay they will hold that price for life!

In today's environment, a lot of these businesses are going to have a very short life.
Edited by: "bozo007" 28th Mar
Had the option of keep paying , freeze or pay 50% , I chose to keep my membership going , as I am still working and want to help support my local gym , staff and owner have been a real pleasure to be around and very supportive so it’s the least I can do to support them in times where we all need to pull together !!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions