Groups

What kind of Dongle do I go for?

I have Sky Broadband at home and use my laptop through a wi-fi connection to get online. I'm starting a supply job soon (sleepovers etc) and they don't have any wi-fi availability - and I can't use their computers when I'm on site, so was going to take my lap top along with me. Obviously due to lack of wifi, I won't be able to get online.

Someone advised me to buy a dongle - but I know next to nothing about them! I guess it would have to be PAYG. And I don't 'game' or anything like that - it's just so I can connect to say, Netflix, and watch a film when I'm doing an overnight shift.
    Any advice would be most welcome. Can someone suggest something and point me in the right direction? Even better, sign post me to a brilliant deal.
    Ps my lap top is a few years old and it's a Toshiba Satellite. Not sure if this info will make the slightest difference but there you go!

10 Comments

most smart phones are dongles look up usb tethering.

if you have a smart phone just use your current data plan on your phone and use a portable hotspot to connect to your laptop

Edited by: "brendanhickey" 27th Aug 2016

Original Poster

My phone is 3g (Moto E) and probably outdated :-) I am payg with Giff gaff - so can't 'tether' unfortunately.

mizfiesta

My phone is 3g (Moto E) and probably outdated :-) I am payg with Giff … My phone is 3g (Moto E) and probably outdated :-) I am payg with Giff gaff - so can't 'tether' unfortunately.

You'll probably find it better value to get a better sim only deal and tether with that.

mizfiesta

My phone is 3g (Moto E) and probably outdated :-) I am payg with Giff … My phone is 3g (Moto E) and probably outdated :-) I am payg with Giff gaff - so can't 'tether' unfortunately.

​Then buy a sim wifi dingle and pay for two lots of data, or upgrade your phone and package and do it that way, simple

mizfiesta

£528 for 2 years
    shop.ee.co.uk/don…ils

Download your films at home to watch offline at work.

brendanhickey

£528 for 2 … £528 for 2 yearshttp://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-wifi/details

If it is for streaming movies etc 16gb may not be enough....

MrMan2011

If it is for streaming movies etc 16gb may not be enough....

​yeah another option would be to download them and put then onto a usb stick
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Buy back on Euros to £££23
      2. Digital ps4 games33
      3. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)22
      4. Cheap northface alternatives?22

See more discussions