What kind of monitor is recommended?

Posted 28th Oct
Looking for a monitor for my son. He was using a TV but it broke and he never actually used it as a TV.

He would like to have his Xbox one X on it, plus possibility of having his laptop hooked up too. The graphics card he has is a gtx 960m or 980m I can’t actually remember which. However will be upgrading it at some point in the future.

I thought about getting him a 4K one but have no idea whether it’s worth it for his current graphics card. I thought technically I’m future proofing but google said it may not be compatible with his current set up so I have no idea.

Any help is appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
4k is overkill, even for top end gpus. You’ll want to consider refresh rate more. 1080 is easy to hit for most gpus nowadays.
Myself? I’ve got a 1440p 144hz 27” monitor.
Research, research, research
msesaver00128/10/2019 22:03

4k is overkill, even for top end gpus. You’ll want to consider refresh r …4k is overkill, even for top end gpus. You’ll want to consider refresh rate more. 1080 is easy to hit for most gpus nowadays. Myself? I’ve got a 1440p 144hz 27” monitor.Research, research, research

Not even worth it for the Xbox one x?
I have very little clue when it comes to frame rates etc, although that was the thing that a lot of articles mentioned.
Xbox one x will make use of the 4k resolution. It can also do HDR so that would be a plus. If just for xbox then a 4k monitor / or TV is the way to to.
What are you using the connected laptop for? Is it just for documents / browsing or does he play proper pc games too?
If he isn't playing pc games and mostly uses it for xbox then a 4k would be sensible imo.
He plays stuff on the laptop too. Mostly FPS games. Plus obviously general browsing, Spotify etc.
He complained that he was having trouble seeing the campaign stuff properly on the new COD also borderlands. I believe he plays destiny 2 without much issue.
Beki10058814/11/2019 02:57

He plays stuff on the laptop too. Mostly FPS games. Plus obviously general …He plays stuff on the laptop too. Mostly FPS games. Plus obviously general browsing, Spotify etc. He complained that he was having trouble seeing the campaign stuff properly on the new COD also borderlands. I believe he plays destiny 2 without much issue.

Is this going to be a Xmas / bday present or can you ask him what is most important to him? If it is a gift you wish to keep a surprise you could always buy from somewhere with a good return / exchange policy to allow his opinion to count later incase he feels differently.
Have you decided on the size of the monitor yet?
If you had a 4k monitor you could still run the games at 1440 or 1080 and have a better framerate which will help with FPS games. Higher frame rate means quicker screen refreshing which means smoother less jagged motion on fast paced games and potentially seeing things very fractionally quicker. It is important on pc gaming but the consoles only do 30 or 60hz anyway so a faster one will only benefit the pc aspect.
You have to decide where to compromise, unless your budget is huge. You can Google frame rate in pc or console gaming / 1440p vs 1080p on 4k monitors etc and see what is important.
smashed14/11/2019 07:52

Is this going to be a Xmas / bday present or can you ask him what is most …Is this going to be a Xmas / bday present or can you ask him what is most important to him? If it is a gift you wish to keep a surprise you could always buy from somewhere with a good return / exchange policy to allow his opinion to count later incase he feels differently. Have you decided on the size of the monitor yet?If you had a 4k monitor you could still run the games at 1440 or 1080 and have a better framerate which will help with FPS games. Higher frame rate means quicker screen refreshing which means smoother less jagged motion on fast paced games and potentially seeing things very fractionally quicker. It is important on pc gaming but the consoles only do 30 or 60hz anyway so a faster one will only benefit the pc aspect.You have to decide where to compromise, unless your budget is huge. You can Google frame rate in pc or console gaming / 1440p vs 1080p on 4k monitors etc and see what is important.

Sorry for the delayed reply.
It’s a birthday present - which was 15th November, he knows about it.
He said for now the most important thing is being able to play Xbox and actually seeing what’s on the screen!
As his laptop is older he’s only running about 30fps, so for now that’s not as important but he will be upgrading at some point but we don’t know when.
Size wise - he wanted around 21 but from my research 4K would be better around 27/28 I think so he’s ok with that now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants