What Landline and Broadband fees can be expected switching from BT to LLU and then back again (when contract ends)

Found 27th Dec 2017Edited by:"thetarget"
Vodafone is an LLU provider. I am looking to switch my parents to from BT due to the price hikes. Notification email received on 1st Dec, so will give notice in a day or so. It seems 14 days notice period applies when switiching to another supplier.

If going from BT (due to price hikes) to Vodafone/Sky Broadband with home phoner:

-Will there be a loss of the current phone number when transferring over or when transferring back to BT/Plusnet in the future due to them being non-LLU?
- it is really important the number is kept

-Will there be line charges if changing over to BT/plusnet (or other non LLU) from Vodafone after the contract ends? Such as a new line charge or will it be a reconnection charge, which is sometimes waived when broadband is taken out?

I

ask because I recall something about high

fees when changing from an LLU like Sky back to BT for landline phone. It may have been something like a new line charge at £130 instead of a reconnection charge. I may be wrong.

Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
AskPhones
7 Comments
simple phone call to voda would answer those questions
Switching provider can see the number lost, it's not common but can happen and there is no gurantee.
Switching back could see BT or any provider not see the active line (LLU), if that happens then there is a £130 charge, it can be discounted though with some providers, however if this is the case then the number can't be ported back because it will be seen as a new connection and not a transfer.

You do have the option to extend the current BT price for 18 months, It's your only guarantee to keep the same number.
There is no charge by Vodafone, you just need to ask for the returns bag for their rubbish router.
BT will charge £9.99 for a router to be delivered.
As soon as BT goes live immediately cancel the Vodafone direct debit as they will keep charging until they get the hub back. (I have been waiting weeks for the return bag
Thanks for the comments.

Both chat help services were a bit poor when I used them earlier today.

I phoned BT. The person I spoke to seemed to think the only issue he encountered was when a particular customer changed from Virgin to BT. They had to pay a new line charge even though their property had a BT socket. However, there are usually deals whereby this fee is waived when broadband is taken out at the same time.

I'll check again about the possibility of the number not being seen in the BT database when trying to return to BT/Plusnet in the future. I'm surprised OFCOM hasn't made them all sort this out though.

@Sambat Is that Vodafone charging due to you cancelling the contract early; or they own the equipment even after the contract term is fulfilled? If you are being charged by them and have not received a return bag, contact OFCOM.
thetarget1 h, 13 m ago

Thanks for the comments.Both chat help services were a bit poor when I …Thanks for the comments.Both chat help services were a bit poor when I used them earlier today.I phoned BT. The person I spoke to seemed to think the only issue he encountered was when a particular customer changed from Virgin to BT. They had to pay a new line charge even though their property had a BT socket. However, there are usually deals whereby this fee is waived when broadband is taken out at the same time. I'll check again about the possibility of the number not being seen in the BT database when trying to return to BT/Plusnet in the future. I'm surprised OFCOM hasn't made them all sort this out though.@Sambat Is that Vodafone charging due to you cancelling the contract early; or they own the equipment even after the contract term is fulfilled? If you are being charged by them and have not received a return bag, contact OFCOM.

Vodafone are not charging me, I cancelled the contract during the first 30 days (actually on day 2), but once they tell you by letter or email that prices are going up you can leave with no charge.
Vodafone won’t be able to charge for the returning router as I have cancelled the direct debit.
BT see you as a new customer so will charge you for a new router. (£9.99)
When leaving BT they might ask for the router back.
You don’t need to tell Vodafone you are leaving, just sign up with BT and they will send you a date when you go live. Tell Vodafone once BT is up and running.

I switched from BT to Vodafone and then back to BT. I just found so many problems with Vodafone, blocked websites, Xbox connectivity and networking. I would think these issues won’t apply to your parent, but I mention this just in case
Edited by: "Sambat" 27th Dec 2017
Sambat12 h, 9 m ago

I switched from BT to Vodafone and then back to BT. I just found so many …I switched from BT to Vodafone and then back to BT. I just found so many problems with Vodafone,

Thanks for the information. Were you able to keep the same landline number when returning to BT?
thetarget53 m ago

Thanks for the information. Were you able to keep the same landline …Thanks for the information. Were you able to keep the same landline number when returning to BT?

Yes, whoever you go with will arrange that when you switch providers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions