Groups

What laptop for Elgato gaming capture

Ok so its nearly Christmas and my 10yr old son is looking to start capturing his game play etc on his Xbox One and uploading to YouTube. My question is he definitely wants to have an Elgato capture card but when it comes to what Laptop to buy its getting confusing for me. The min spec is on Elgato website but i dont understand them, is it worth going for a cheaper refurb on ebay this guy has loads 'renewit'. Looking to spend around £250, any help would be amazing thanks

9 Comments

Check out ebay seller 'newandusedlaptops4u'. We bought a A grade HP probook 450 through them with AMD8 processor, 8Gb RAM for £199. From memory I think the min processor spec for the Elgato is i3 (or AMD equivalent)

I started with an i3, it worked fine but my i5 runs it a lot better. Upgrading to an i7 in the next month.
    He'll need a good video editing software if he wants to do it properly

Original Poster

thanks guys

i3/i5/i7 etc. don't mean much when you're talking about second hand laptops of different ages. Elgato make different products with different requirements, so which one are you looking at exactly?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

i3/i5/i7 etc. don't mean much when you're talking about second hand … i3/i5/i7 etc. don't mean much when you're talking about second hand laptops of different ages. Elgato make different products with different requirements, so which one are you looking at exactly?

hi, looking at the hd60

happyshopperlover0151

hi, looking at the hd60

PC: Windows 7 SP1 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
    Mac: OS X 10.9 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
    Game Capture HD60: 2nd generation Intel Core i5 CPU
    (i5-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost
    Game Capture HD: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (or comparable)
    Stream Command: 2nd generation Intel Core i7 CPU
    (i7-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost. Windows 7 or later;
    https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60

That's actually a fairly tall order if you want to use the full capabilities of the device. It's a bit difficult to tell exactly what the equivalent is without testing it as CPUs improve at different rates in different things.

Generally I would say a 5th generation i3 or higher or a 6th generation Pentium or higher. That's i3/i5/i7 with 5000 or 6000 series model numbers or the Pentium 4405U.

They're currently about £270-300 but you'll probably be able to find one below £250 in a pre-christmas sale or a nearly new returned/refurbished model.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

PC: Windows 7 SP1 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port Mac: … PC: Windows 7 SP1 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port Mac: OS X 10.9 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port Game Capture HD60: 2nd generation Intel Core i5 CPU (i5-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost Game Capture HD: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (or comparable) Stream Command: 2nd generation Intel Core i7 CPU (i7-2xxx or comparable), 2 Ghz or higher, before Turbo Boost. Windows 7 or later;https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60That's actually a fairly tall order if you want to use the full capabilities of the device. It's a bit difficult to tell exactly what the equivalent is without testing it as CPUs improve at different rates in different things.Generally I would say a 5th generation i3 or higher or a 6th generation Pentium or higher. That's i3/i5/i7 with 5000 or 6000 series model numbers or the Pentium 4405U.They're currently about £270-300 but you'll probably be able to find one below £250 in a pre-christmas sale or a nearly new returned/refurbished model.

thats great, ill have a look. thx

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

i3/i5/i7 etc. don't mean much when you're talking about second hand … i3/i5/i7 etc. don't mean much when you're talking about second hand laptops of different ages. Elgato make different products with different requirements, so which one are you looking at exactly?

just had a little google and saw a Avermedia gaming capture card, which doesnt need a pc/laptop connected to record. if i bought this instead what kind of spec pc/laptop could i get then. thanks so much

happyshopperlover0151

just had a little google and saw a Avermedia gaming capture card, which … just had a little google and saw a Avermedia gaming capture card, which doesnt need a pc/laptop connected to record. if i bought this instead what kind of spec pc/laptop could i get then. thanks so much

Well, a recent CPU helps even when editing the video so it wouldn't change much. I would spend the extra £20-30 or wait for a deal to come up personally.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nightmare with BT over Broadband22
      2. Easyjet - book now or wait?68
      3. Monitor for console gaming reccomendations11
      4. Biscuit addiction815

See more discussions