Groups

What Laptop To Buy - Dell Studio 17 or Dell Studio XPS - Need HELP Within 24 Hours Please!!

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop this week and I'm set on either:

Dell Studio 17 or Dell Studio XPS

Both laptops retail at £1200 - £1400 on the Dell website and are availible for £600 - £700 on eBay as cancelled orders.

---The Dell Studio 17---
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Hard Drive Capacity: 640 GB
    Memory (RAM): 4.096 GB
    Screen Size: 17 inches
    Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM (Blu-Ray)
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 256MB
    Vista
    USB
    WiFi Enabled
    2MP Web Camera
    Bluetooth
    (3 Year Warranty)

---Dell Studio XPS 1640---
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB
    Memory (RAM): 4.096 GB
    Screen Size: 16 inches (HD)
    Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM (Blu-Ray)
    Graphics Card: 512MB ATI® Radeon HD 3670
    Vista
    USB
    WiFi Enabled
    Bluetooth
    (3 Year Warranty)

I really can't decide...

16 Comments

you need to know the screen res,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;5392988

you need to know the screen res,

Studio 17 - 17in Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x990) Truelife

Studio XPS - Edge-to-edge Glossy 16in Truelife 1080p Full HD RGBLED

Banned

id get the xps

smaller hard drive but better graphics and higher rez screen, you can always add a larger hard drive later.....whats an inch when you got 16?

my mates just got the 17 inch studio and loves it, although he said he would have gone for the xps hands down if he could justify the money. my conclusion both great, you would be happy to own either, but if youve got the money go for the xps:)

Neither

I prefer Compaq myself

Original Poster

casparwhite;5393382

id get the xpssmaller hard drive but better graphics and higher rez … id get the xpssmaller hard drive but better graphics and higher rez screen, you can always add a larger hard drive later.....whats an inch when you got 16?

That's a very good point. I don't think the hard drive space is much of an issue really.

Would it be as simple as just slotting in another hard drive like - ]this one?

Original Poster

kjbenja;5394162

NeitherI prefer Compaq myself

Clearly "idiot inside" ;-)

Banned

Joshua Klein;5394189

That's a very good point. I don't think the hard drive space is much of … That's a very good point. I don't think the hard drive space is much of an issue really.Would it be as simple as just slotting in another hard drive like - ]this one?

yeah you can slot another drive in...cant see the ebay item as its blocked

you will need to reinstall everything tho as the hard drive supplied will have hidden recovery partition etc....not hard to do but a little faffing about is required....good experience;-)

Original Poster

casparwhite;5394280

yeah you can slot another drive in...cant see the ebay item as its … yeah you can slot another drive in...cant see the ebay item as its blockedyou will need to reinstall everything tho as the hard drive supplied will have hidden recovery partition etc....not hard to do but a little faffing about is required....good experience;-)

Thanks for the information.

Well it's an extra £100 for a 320GB Seagate hard drive, so that's a posibility...

I think I'm swaying towards the XPS at the moment.

Banned

Joshua Klein;5394361

Thanks for the information.Well it's an extra £100 for a 320GB Seagate … Thanks for the information.Well it's an extra £100 for a 320GB Seagate hard drive, so that's a posibility...I think I'm swaying towards the XPS at the moment.

depends on the connection the price but you would essentially have to swap the hard drives rather than putting in another unless it has the space? best to check dedicated forums for more in depth advice tho

Banned

have you checked on the dell outlet for prices, maybe cheaper, just a thought

Just a point I have a 1735 with UWXVGA+ (1920*1080) and films look great but for netting I always drop it to 1280*800 or its just to hard work on the eyes. So you may want to bare that in mind.

Original Poster

sassie;5394612

have you checked on the dell outlet for prices, maybe cheaper, just a … have you checked on the dell outlet for prices, maybe cheaper, just a thought

Never even knew you could do that online, so thanks for the tip :thumbsup:.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5394678

Just a point I have a 1735 with UWXVGA+ (1920*1080) and films look great … Just a point I have a 1735 with UWXVGA+ (1920*1080) and films look great but for netting I always drop it to 1280*800 or its just to hard work on the eyes. So you may want to bare that in mind.

I've got square eyes, so it should be ok :thumbsup:.

Do you think an XPS Studio would work well as a replacement for my everyday computer?

I spend over 8 hours on the computer a day 7 days a week!!

Banned

Joshua Klein;5394884

Never even knew you could do that online, so thanks for the tip … Never even knew you could do that online, so thanks for the tip :thumbsup:.

when i was looking for daughters lappy, ebay outlet was dearer than dells outlet, so deffo worth looking there

Original Poster

sassie;5394900

when i was looking for daughters lappy, ebay outlet was dearer than dells … when i was looking for daughters lappy, ebay outlet was dearer than dells outlet, so deffo worth looking there

Seems like there's lots of sellers on eBay acting as middle men and claiming the profits, but that's how all business goes isn't it...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Moving Light Switch / Wireless options66
      2. Virgin Media when moving house69
      3. Fitted Sheet66
      4. Good Sim only deals??57

See more discussions