Groups

What makes a Hot Deal

It would seem people take great pleasure in voting cold on here for numerous different items no matter how much money is knocked off or saved. Furthermore I don't think that these people are 'interested' in the item and vote it down because they aren't interested. I'm sure that isn't the spirit of what this site was created for in the first place. What are everyone's thoughts? Some positivity will also be welcomed. Happy Saturday.

Top comments

Who cares! Most people on Misc don't know there's a deal section.

You can't ask these sort of deep philosophical questions this early on a Saturday!
    36 Comments

Original Poster

If I was to try and change the world with this website I would think that everyone can see all the deals but only be able to vote on what they are interested in. Maybe give all account holders four subjects that they can select and are only allowed to vote on such as 'Gaming' 'Household' 'Books' 'Internet Shopping'. This way the voting system would be true between the voters and the poster.

Sometimes its just a product people have been looking out for e.g. Nvidia GTX graphics cardsXiaomi phones, Anker products, Casio G Shocks. If its a good product (i.e. not something useless, like an inflatable ashtray from Wowcher), the seller is reputable and you've done your research (re. best price, product description) it will go hot. Amazon stuff seems to do well on here.

I have seen this alot of times too. Its not necessarily a deal but people just vote cold just because. Alot of Apple stuf gets cold just because they are Apple. I have had deals myself go very cold from a site that some one doesnt like but someone else posted the same items, little more expensive from amazon and it goes hot. No idea

The only thing I vote cold on without giving any thought to the deal is repeat deals. How many deals do we need for £10 off prime now.

You can't ask these sort of deep philosophical questions this early on a Saturday!

darthvader666uk

I have seen this alot of times too. Its not necessarily a deal but … I have seen this alot of times too. Its not necessarily a deal but people just vote cold just because. Alot of Apple stuf gets cold just because they are Apple. I have had deals myself go very cold from a site that some one doesnt like but someone else posted the same items, little more expensive from amazon and it goes hot. No idea

nothing wrong with that, id pay extra to ensure decent customer service.. timely delivery.. aftersales service etc etc
    the way you talk there you think a deal is a simple price comparison - its not
    its a combination of all aspects of the deal

For this site to be really useful comments should be left to justify a vote (either hot or cold) . I and many others have suggested this multiple times on multiple occasions . Sheep on here (probably over 80% of the membership) just like to follow the flow - Perhaps makes them feel good voting a hot deal hot and a cold deal cold ? . Perhaps makes them feel "included" whereas in real life they live in the virtual unreality of solitude and video games with no social life apart from their alter egos on line - just a theory ?

Maybe HUKD likes to encourage these members as maybe they are more likely to click through to the "Deal" from this site (earning HUKD referral fees ) than the more savvy members who clear their cookies and then go through a cashback site .

Maybe it works ? But it frankly astounds me how many deals (Hot and Cold) go over 100 degrees without a single comment oO - and if there is a comment its a banal comment like "Heat added" or "Good spot OP" etc .

Am I alone in hoping for intelligent ,enlightening, useful comments on deals I am considering or should I be like the sheep , just buy because it has been voted hot on here with few if any reasons/comments as to why it is a great deal ?

rogparki

For this site to be really useful comments should be left to justify a … For this site to be really useful comments should be left to justify a vote (either hot or cold) . I and many others have suggested this multiple times on multiple occasions . Sheep on here (probably over 80% of the membership) just like to follow the flow - Perhaps makes them feel good voting a hot deal hot and a cold deal cold ? . Perhaps makes them feel "included" whereas in real life they live in the virtual unreality of solitude and video games with no social life apart from their alter egos on line - just a theory ? Maybe HUKD likes to encourage these members as maybe they are more likely to click through to the "Deal" from this site (earning HUKD referral fees ) than the more savvy members who clear their cookies and then go through a cashback site . Maybe it works ? But it frankly astounds me how many deals (Hot and Cold) go over 100 degrees without a single comment oO - and if there is a comment its a banal comment like "Heat added" or "Good spot OP" etc . Am I alone in hoping for intelligent ,enlightening, useful comments on deals I am considering or should I be like the sheep , just buy because it has been voted hot on here with few if any reasons/comments as to why it is a great deal ?

SHOULD be left? lol
    then we would get people like you whining about our reasons
    comment section is there - you are free to leave a reason but its should never ever be an obligation

love the calling of 'people wot dont agree' sheep

you also want comments left explaining why but you dont want 'banal' ones - all youd get is 'good price' 'bad price' whatever
    'good spot op' is a fair comment as it implies that an unusually good deal has been found

do you actually need to have comments on a deal to evaluate of you can vote hot? doesnt that make YOU then sheep?
    Edited by: "brilly" 3rd Jun

because people are sometimes selfish or vindictive when they know they are not being watched or there are no consequences.

wow.. .cant believe comments on such a simple thread are being moderated/deleted lol

brilly

SHOULD be left? lolthen we would get people like you whining about our … SHOULD be left? lolthen we would get people like you whining about our reasonscomment section is there - you are free to leave a reason but its should never ever be an obligation

I trust those who leave comments ,although I accept it is purely their opinion , and read with interest both the pro and anti comments to further inform myself . Over the years I have found informed comments on here really useful in deciding my purchases (in addition to review sites etc) .

Would you really buy a £500 (say) phone , washing machine, tele etc just because its voted "Hot" ? Wouldn't you prefer that members left useful comments and info to aid your decision ? I know I would
    Edited by: "rogparki" 3rd Jun

rogparki

I trust those who leave comments ,although I accept it is purely their … I trust those who leave comments ,although I accept it is purely their opinion , over the years I have found informed comments on here really useful in deciding my purchases (in addition to review sites etc) . Would you really buy a £500 (say) phone , washing machine, tele etc just because its voted "Hot" ? Wouldn't you prefer that members left useful comments and info to aid your decision ? I know I would

noone has said that people get the deals only because they are hot... is this something you find yourself doing? oO
    sounds like you need the comments to decide if deal is hot... still sheep behaviour

id never buy a 500quid phone off the back of comments left here unless it was something i specifically asked, id do my own research

the more people forced to leave 'banal' comments about reason for voting the more the helpful comments get diluted down

edit: removed the 'x0d
    \' crap
    Edited by: "brilly" 3rd Jun

A big saving isn't enough to warrant a hot vote. What matters is the actual price compared to other retailers

I think it's fantastic that people to eek out bargains and post them on here for everyone.....but.......some of those people expect everybody to 'bow and doff caps' at their so called bargain, when actually it might not be such a good deal.Then get all upset and start whining about it!
    Their deal may actually a crap product or it or a similar product is cheaper elsewhere and when this is pointed out to them they start getting upset and threatening never to post again........What?........Stop stressing and move on FFS!

Deals from Sports Direct are nearly always voted cold because of the owners awful working practices at his warehouses and the fact that he bought out some really good clothing manufacturers and then out sourced the work to China, for the cheapest price and materials and so making them crap!
    Still these very same cold voters whine about the ethics of SD but regularly buy off Amazon and drink at Costa Coffee when these companies don't pay any tax!
    Next time you post a deal DON'T sit your lappy/phone/tablet eagerly expecting praise just move on and find the next deal......and so on........and so on........

Who cares! Most people on Misc don't know there's a deal section.

Brand perception; brand allegiance; alternative brand allegiance; brand intolerance; merchant credibility; tactical voting; user jealousy; insignificance; disinterest; etc

I will vote something down if its not a deal or clearly store specific but not stated as such.

darthvader666uk

I have seen this alot of times too. Its not necessarily a deal but … I have seen this alot of times too. Its not necessarily a deal but people just vote cold just because. Alot of Apple stuf gets cold just because they are Apple. I have had deals myself go very cold from a site that some one doesnt like but someone else posted the same items, little more expensive from amazon and it goes hot. No idea

But its a deals site so if you can buy a phone that does the same with similar or better specs for less money then the Apple one shouldn't that be reflected? Isnt that the point of a good deal.

Original Poster

brilly

wow.. .cant believe comments on such a simple thread are being … wow.. .cant believe comments on such a simple thread are being moderated/deleted lol

Haha mods like Misc!

Original Poster

Jumpingphil

How on earth do you know why people vote? Do you have super powers? oO

Haha I do. Feel the force

Original Poster

Sorry all for late replys. Honestly had a problem with my IPhone and had to go to the Apple Store now I'm expecting some abuse! Thanks all for your comments. I don't know whether the members are ever consulted on what would make this site better. I've been a member for a few years and never been asked. Maybe a questionnaire, sent out to all members via email would be beneficial.

brilly

is this something you find yourself doing? oOstill sheep behaviour

The word you are looking for is 'Ovine'.

Don't take the heat levels seriously as it's not important.
    I use this as a place to find potential deals and the heat rating is only an indicator.
    I took out a SIM only deal which I'm delighted with which was -100.
    A month later a similar deal but significantly worse in some respects was 200+.
    So I treat this place like a junk shop, car boot sale or ebay knowing that you have to look beyond the surface and know what YOU want to get a good deal for yourself.
    What other people count as a good deal doesn't concern me hence the heat ratings means as much to me as the singles charts.

Copy'n'paste from numerous other threads...

The best "Deal" is a subjective* view of anything to do with the product thread (such as the merchant's past history, the non-guaranteed cashback, the colour/dimensions of the item, any comparative products, the day of the week, whether the member voting had run out of butter for their morning toast, or anything else connected/unconnected with the "Deal"), apparently.

(* Not everybody is you, hence why voting differs)

A previous thread of note...

Can we please have the rules/guidelines on Voting made more clear??

Specifically, comment #56...
    batezy_1984

It would seem people take great pleasure in voting cold on here for … It would seem people take great pleasure in voting cold on here for numerous different items no matter how much money is knocked off or saved...

If you are cold voting a deal, it is good forum etiquette to post a note … If you are cold voting a deal, it is good forum etiquette to post a note in the deal as to why you have done so. There is nothing more confusing to a new member, than to post a deal, only to see it go cold with no explanation. If you found the item cheaper elsewhere, please let us know where and how. If you have no interest or knowledge about the deal at all, please don’t vote cold, just move on.HUKD has systems in place to detect serial cold voters, and it may lead to a ban from the forums, as it is against the code of conduct.

Also, "Cold Voting", & the ironically-titled "EXPIRED - Can you get banned for voting cold too often?" (created by a member that is now banned).

There used to be a whole lifetime's worth of discussion(s) on the subject, but the following "tags" were removed recently:

[ hotukdeals.com/tag…ing ]
    [ hotukdeals.com/tag…old ]
    [ hotukdeals.com/tag…ead ]

You could use the =8&categories[]=All&advanced_search=Advanced+Search]Advanced Search Results for "cold", if you wish, though.

rogparki

...Perhaps makes them feel "included" whereas in real life they live in … ...Perhaps makes them feel "included" whereas in real life they live in the virtual unreality of solitude and video games with no social life apart from their alter egos on line - just a theory ?...

We have heard your opinion on this many times before; you do not understand why people enjoy playing video & computer games.

That does not make them antisocial, nor without any other aspect to their lives.

In recent years, the popularity of these products has probably kept HotUKDeals.com running.

(I won't state a random percentage to try to justify my point, though)

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/scotth-ixeou-150918130650-lva1-app6891/95/interaction-2015-the-engagement-equation-ic-eou-x-5-638.jpg?cb=1442581743

fanpages

We have heard your opinion on this many times before; you do not … We have heard your opinion on this many times before; you do not understand why people enjoy playing video & computer games.That does not make them antisocial, nor without any other aspect to their lives.In recent years, the popularity of these products has probably kept HotUKDeals.com running.(I won't state a random percentage to try to justify my point, though)

And as I have no comprehension of the attractions of video games I vote them cold 0% of the time and vote them hot 0% of the time That's a 100% accurate statistic as I never vote (either way) on things I don't understand .

rogparki

And as I have no comprehension of the attractions of video games I vote … And as I have no comprehension of the attractions of video games I vote them cold 0% of the time and vote them hot 0% of the time That's a 100% accurate statistic as I never vote (either way) on things I don't understand .

Yet you try to belittle those that do 100% of the time you mention the subject matter.

deeky

The word you are looking for is 'Ovine'.

baa (_;)

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/6229882112/h38FAC384/

if i was looking for it id have found it

brilly

wow.. .cant believe comments on such a simple thread are being … wow.. .cant believe comments on such a simple thread are being moderated/deleted lol

not surprising to me at all given how much the powers that be are trying to control the site.

just look at how many more deals are being posted by admins/mods/deal editors/helpers compared to even a few months ago, presumably to steer traffic towards the companies that will yield the most referral income.
    it's even seeping into Misc too, with an increase in Bitterwallet-esque threads.

Original Poster

fanpages

We have heard your opinion on this many times before; you do not … We have heard your opinion on this many times before; you do not understand why people enjoy playing video & computer games.That does not make them antisocial, nor without any other aspect to their lives.In recent years, the popularity of these products has probably kept HotUKDeals.com running.(I won't state a random percentage to try to justify my point, though)

That was what I was also thinking, I remember reading about that there are members kicking off somewhat about having to be subject to computer games being in the hottest category of the day or the week but you are definitely right. These posts are what keep this site going, especially with the youth and the wannabe youth (such as me aged 33 )

Original Poster

rogparki

And as I have no comprehension of the attractions of video games I vote … And as I have no comprehension of the attractions of video games I vote them cold 0% of the time and vote them hot 0% of the time That's a 100% accurate statistic as I never vote (either way) on things I don't understand .

I also agree with your point mate therefore your voting is fair. You should give games a crack though

Error440

But its a deals site so if you can buy a phone that does the same with … But its a deals site so if you can buy a phone that does the same with similar or better specs for less money then the Apple one shouldn't that be reflected? Isnt that the point of a good deal.

Well honestly, not really. Im a pure Android fan so basically the Nexus 5x and Pixel and for me, I wouldn't compare those deals with an iPhone or Samsung etc., so I would say it more of a like for like basis so the same product you know?

Some absolutely ridiculous comments on here - obviously by the people who want to justify to themselves voting cold.

Simple solution - you are only allowed to vote if you have posted a deal in the last 6 months. You have to submit 1 "useful" comment per month to stay a member.

If not you're gone.

This site makes the owner's money by the amount of click throughs that they get - it's not in their interest to lower these no matter how many idiots they allow on here!

Agharta21 h, 11 m ago

Don't take the heat levels seriously as it's not important.I use this as a …Don't take the heat levels seriously as it's not important.I use this as a place to find potential deals and the heat rating is only an indicator.I took out a SIM only deal which I'm delighted with which was -100.A month later a similar deal but significantly worse in some respects was 200+.So I treat this place like a junk shop, car boot sale or ebay knowing that you have to look beyond the surface and know what YOU want to get a good deal for yourself.What other people count as a good deal doesn't concern me hence the heat ratings means as much to me as the singles charts.

Exactly! The majority of my real bargains have been listed in New deals and only picked up by canny buyers.

Most people don't know what the hell the item is, are sheep, stupid or the HUKD mafia - don't worry about it!

You may be able to join the mafia if you lick enough bum and like them....

Banned

KareemSaid

Some absolutely ridiculous comments on here - obviously by the people who … Some absolutely ridiculous comments on here - obviously by the people who want to justify to themselves voting cold. Simple solution - you are only allowed to vote if you have posted a deal in the last 6 months. You have to submit 1 "useful" comment per month to stay a member. If not you're gone. This site makes the owner's money by the amount of click throughs that they get - it's not in their interest to lower these no matter how many idiots they allow on here!

So people will just post any old rubbish as a deal once every 6 months to maintain voting rights?

One "useful" comment a month. Who is meant to keep track of this? What is the definition of a "useful" comment?

Marcoos

So people will just post any old rubbish as a deal once every 6 months to … So people will just post any old rubbish as a deal once every 6 months to maintain voting rights?One "useful" comment a month. Who is meant to keep track of this? What is the definition of a "useful" comment?

kareem will decide as seems to be an authority on ridiculous comments
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HDUK home for Star Trek: Discovery810
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876395
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would31126
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2542

See more discussions