Hitachi
    Panasonic
    Toshiba
    etc etc

23 Comments

i'd highly recommend a toshiba, great tv! look for one of those, lol

garbage456;6419790

thanks

no probs, got one myself and the picture quality is really good :-)

This is such an objective request and people have varied opinions but for me I would go for the Samsung LCD..dixons.co.uk/mar…254

Avoid Hitachi, they don't make their own sets these days, they just re-badge stuff from other less well known makers.

Sony are over priced/rated IMO.

Even good makes can make bad models.

I would say to look at reviews and narrow down your search by models rather than makes. From there, go and find one in the real world and see if you like it.

Banned

pioneer if you can afford it

or panasonic

use your own eyes, go to a shop with them on display and YOU decide from a bunch which ones you like, go home find cheapest price.

Inactive;6419846

Avoid Hitachi, they don't make their own sets these days, they just … Avoid Hitachi, they don't make their own sets these days, they just re-badge stuff from other less well known makers.Sony are over priced/rated IMO.

Yep, Sony are also one that dont make their own sets and havent for about 10 years - you get a Samsung/LG tv with four little letters spelling Sony on the front and they bang up the price - would tend to avoid

Banned

apparently samsung and LG lcds are the same but LG costs less if that helps. oh and get from john lewis for free 5yr warranty

Warranty is the main thing,Any of them can die after a year or two and then ya screwed,:thumbsup:

richardcotton;6419860

Yep, Sony are also one that dont make their own sets and havent for about … Yep, Sony are also one that dont make their own sets and havent for about 10 years - you get a Samsung/LG tv with four little letters spelling Sony on the front and they bang up the price - would tend to avoid

the inportant thing to remember here, while its true that there are only several manufacturers of the panel itself thats not all to think about, a cheap make might have the same panel as a Sony but it certainly wont have the same components which can play a big part in picture quality.

As one poster said, get yourself down to richer sounds or somewhere like that and see which one you like the look of, these will more than likely have HD feeds so ask to see the ones you like on a normal SD feed too :thumbsup:

holdav;6419854

Even good makes can make bad models.I would say to look at reviews and … Even good makes can make bad models.I would say to look at reviews and narrow down your search by models rather than makes. From there, go and find one in the real world and see if you like it.

Good advice :thumbsup:

Other points to think about are that although manufacturers may use the same panel the electronics inside are different...........

Secondly when comparing them in the shop make sure the tv is connected up to a decent signal eg blu ray player etc If the shop is pushing a particular model they may have this hooked up to a BR player and the others a standard aerial connection.

Thirdly view the tvs at different angles - some have narrower angles than others and view it at the distance you are likely to be watching it from........

tonyg1962;6419989

Warranty is the main thing,Any of them can die after a year or two and … Warranty is the main thing,Any of them can die after a year or two and then ya screwed,:thumbsup:

Does a 5 year warranty make much difference when, by law, you have 6 years from the date of purchase to claim damages for faulty goods under the Sale of Goods Act?

Painkiller;6420376

Does a 5 year warranty make much difference when, by law, you have 6 … Does a 5 year warranty make much difference when, by law, you have 6 years from the date of purchase to claim damages for faulty goods under the Sale of Goods Act?

lol just try that at Currys,

Banned

avoid toshiba

csiman;6420435

avoid toshiba

Of all the LCD tellys I've seen/have/had the toshs were always better at displaying terrestrial and freeview than the rest.

Go for a toshiba awesome tvs.

MarzBarz;6420599

Go for a toshiba awesome tvs.

+1 I have 3 Toshiba's a 37" and a 32" Regza and a White 19" combined tv and DVD for the Kitchen

I have only ever bought LG LCD TV's ( 5 of them now) and never ever had any problerms with them.

Superb pictures from all, well built and at reasonable prices.

Everyone has their own opinions of what brand they favour and why. It has to be LG for me, never let me down yet.

Banned

leefal;6420578

Of all the LCD tellys I've seen/have/had the toshs were always better at … Of all the LCD tellys I've seen/have/had the toshs were always better at displaying terrestrial and freeview than the rest.

yeah but theire remote controls are useless unless you are 1 foot directly in front of the sensor

pic is great on my 2 toshs but would gladly change due to the useless remotes

I have to agree with you on the remote, I've seen better quality ones in Poundland.

a fairly open question

cheap and good = samsung
    proper tv? look at sharp or panasonic

i would probably leave it until the whole LED side of things gets popular

Painkiller;6420376

Does a 5 year warranty make much difference when, by law, you have 6 … Does a 5 year warranty make much difference when, by law, you have 6 years from the date of purchase to claim damages for faulty goods under the Sale of Goods Act?

It isn't that straightforward, you have to prove that the item had an inherent fault, not easy.

John Lewis is the best option.:thumbsup:

Don't forget to listen to the TV as well as looking at the picture quality, sound quality is important to me.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free Codes from EGX66
      2. One for the mathmeticians1829
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767422
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2645

See more discussions