What makes you think a deal is hot?

Found 1st Oct 2017
I've seen this being debated quite a few times and not everybody agrees so I wanted to see what proportion of the public think the requirements of a deal are.

Is a hot deal:

1. The cheapest available price for a given item, regardless of what the person thinks the value of the item is (i.e. even if it always overpriced anyway)

2. A good item at any price (even RRP) eg iPhones tend to only be available at RRP for the first few months but some people might think its a good deal (??)

3. Something below its normal retail price that the person voting has an interest in, and hence doesnt tend to vote hot for items the voter has no personal interest with?

4. The cheapest price an item has ever been available for. (i.e. a one time reduction and it never reaches this low again - (does this mean every other deal for this item is cold?)

Just wanted to hear some thoughts. I tend to be number 3 most times - i dont vote on stuff I have no interest in as I dont usually know what it's worth and what i personally would pay for it.
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
I would say all of them apply to different people which is why "Heat" has and always will be a load of guff!! Noobs to the site chase it like they will get some kind of reward or social standing, whereas long standing members like me know it's a load of crap and laugh as users desperately beg and plead for people to add heat to their post, pretty sad really
3 most of the time also but you have to recognise that the overwhelming majority of posts are not altruistic.
Original Poster
frakison6 m ago

I would say all of them apply to different people which is why "Heat" has …I would say all of them apply to different people which is why "Heat" has and always will be a load of guff!! Noobs to the site chase it like they will get some kind of reward or social standing, whereas long standing members like me know it's a load of crap and laugh as users desperately beg and plead for people to add heat to their post, pretty sad really

i agree, people have their own views based on the deal. just confuses me sometimes when something at RRP goes super hot when a decent item with a genuine discount goes cold.

we will never fully understand this site
i vote hot if it is an item that i would buy myself and it is a lot cheaper than it normally costs.
HUKD get money off all of these deals, so if the deal is hot or cold they don't care. It's not a coincidence that the gaming deals gain the most heat. They are more likely to be purchased online and also have a very high impulse buy percentage. Those clicks lead to more money for HUKD. The heat make them stand out, so heat is what they have.

For me personally I add heat if I think it's a good deal and cold if I think it's a bad deal. There's no need to over complicate things.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 1st Oct 2017
If it makes me think that I would myself purchase the item for the price shown if I needed it.
Reputation of retailer also comes into play when voting hot or cold.
It depends on who posts it....
Original Poster
tempt41 m ago

Reputation of retailer also comes into play when voting hot or cold.

very true, didnt consider that in my original post but definately a valid factor *cough* eglobal *cough*
5. An item that represents good value for money, regardless of whether it's newly introduced and undiscounted or on clearance and the cheapest it'll ever be.
Beats me how so many deals go "Hot" without a single comment (apart from the inane "Good spot OP heat added " )

Seems to me often the posters "mates " vote the deal hot immediately its posted (a bunch of teenies in the playground with their smartphones ? ) Then the HUKD "Sheep" take over voting a warm deal hot because they like to be "one of the crowd" and haven't got a mind of their own .

If I buy anything posted on here I am more influenced by intelligent comments than by "Sheep Heat" . Those members who only look for "So called Hot Deals " inevitably miss many of the best deals .
You guys have too much free time.
I think a deal more than price. I vote hot if it's good value, which includes understanding whether or not the item is any good - so if I don't understand the item, I don't generally vote. It doesn't matter if it's the cheapest it's ever been, it's still cold if the item (or in some cases, retailer) just isn't any good. On the flipside, there are some items that are hot even at their normal price (e.g. some things from Lidl/ Aldi/ Costco etc.).
Also depends on the retailer / supplier too. Sometimes an item can be dirt cheap but from an unreputable source - in which case, I'd avoid.
frakison7 h, 28 m ago

I would say all of them apply to different people which is why "Heat" has …I would say all of them apply to different people which is why "Heat" has and always will be a load of guff!! Noobs to the site chase it like they will get some kind of reward or social standing, whereas long standing members like me know it's a load of crap and laugh as users desperately beg and plead for people to add heat to their post, pretty sad really

There are still plenty of long standing members on here who post deals only for the self-gratification they get from watching the up votes, or "the heat" on their notifications feed. I believe some also do it just so they can have the little heatwave badge as well.
Edited by: "GameofDeals" 1st Oct 2017
MR11232 h, 36 m ago

You guys have too much free time.

Says the person browsing misc? Oh the irony
Vindaloo
I think this deal proves the sheep mentality, identical item posted 1 year apart

32146317-KeU49.jpg32146317-mcCUB.jpg
When people's votes are worth 8 points, nothing. I just look at the numbers and lol.
5. boobs
Depends. If I think the item is greatly discounted for what it is, I'll vote hot.

If the item was something I was after and someone found it at a discounted price I'll vote hot.

And sometimes if a deal has a lot of effort gone into the detail I'll vote hot.
3 all the way for me because I already spend way too much time on this website anyway so I don't want to waste more time reading the details of a deal that doesn't interest me. I also try not to blindly vote hot (or cold) without reading the full details first and at least giving it some proper thought. I have seen far too many deals on here getting heat way above their merit that it is almost laughable sometimes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants