What might be wrong with the fridge freezer?

Found 17th Jan
I have an old Hotpoint fridge freezer FF48TX - in good condition - think may be just over 10 years old. It started flashing "AL1" so defrosted freezer as suggested. All clear now and now alarming AL2 which I "think" is power cut even though freezer is still on but I think is started to cool down. Can be restarted by hitting one of the buttons on the touch control panel on the front. Tried speaking to Hotpoint who basically have no technical department to talk to customers - they cannot even confirm what the error code means to me as, and I quote, "it may be a breach of health and safety" ???? Any advice? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Have you defrosted for a full 24 hours until completely defrosted? Is the freezer fan still rotating behind the panel inside at the back of the freezer?
yes it was completely defrosted though took way less than 24 hours. Not sure i can see any freezer fan inside at all. But I suspect it is rotating as this only happens say once every 1-2 days and the freezer is cold and keeping things frozen? Thanks
Get a thermometer in the fridge and then the freezer to make sure it’s at operating temperature, atleast then you can eliminate a thermostat or fan problem. Freezer should be roughly between -10°c and -20°c and the fridge no more than 5°c
i find that after a full defrost, sometimes freezers can be in alarm mode as it is no longer at the freezing temperature. i tend to put the freezer on fast freeze, which stops the alarm when the freezer has become freezing again.

you may be experiencing the same problem.
Lots of possibilities here Fixya .
All of them cheap and easy to try. Same model number, different variant letters.
We don't have the exact same fridge/freezer, but try this, it worked for us:

"the problem is there is a build up of ice inside of the freezer .
What you need to do is take out all your draws in the freezer and you will see a plastic backing held on with about 8 screws . undo all the screws and the back should come and and you will see all the ice built up . just use a hair drier to melt the ice and that should cure your problem. "
mutley11 h, 27 m ago

i find that after a full defrost, sometimes freezers can be in alarm mode …i find that after a full defrost, sometimes freezers can be in alarm mode as it is no longer at the freezing temperature. i tend to put the freezer on fast freeze, which stops the alarm when the freezer has become freezing again.you may be experiencing the same problem.

Fast freeze just means in freezes colder and should only be used when you are freezing a lot of new unfrozen food. It doesn't freeze any faster though.
Remember your fridge won't cool until the freezer is at temperature and then the fan will kick it to blow the cool air into the fridge.
kester7618 m ago

Remember your fridge won't cool until the freezer is at temperature and …Remember your fridge won't cool until the freezer is at temperature and then the fan will kick it to blow the cool air into the fridge.

I never knew that - had no alarm issues with fridge just the freezer alarming. Thanks for your reply.
kester7617th Jan

Remember your fridge won't cool until the freezer is at temperature and …Remember your fridge won't cool until the freezer is at temperature and then the fan will kick it to blow the cool air into the fridge.

Depends on the model, many new ones have separate fridge and freezer systems.
Freezer not cold enough after defrosting or something to do with the sensor, maybe a fault.
Edited by: "ferlan" 19th Jan
cmdr_elito37 m ago

Depends on the model, many new ones have separate fridge and freezer …Depends on the model, many new ones have separate fridge and freezer systems.

My Mums is like that, which is weird as you're running two compressors which push the price up a lot more. The specs list only one motor/compressor but it's quite vague about this model in the manual.
kester7625 m ago

My Mums is like that, which is weird as you're running two compressors …My Mums is like that, which is weird as you're running two compressors which push the price up a lot more. The specs list only one motor/compressor but it's quite vague about this model in the manual.

On the plus side if one fails then the other remains working potentially. Think it’s meant to be more efficient as it doesn’t have to work so hard most of the time and when it does have to it can cool more quickly.
cmdr_elito8 h, 16 m ago

On the plus side if one fails then the other remains working potentially. …On the plus side if one fails then the other remains working potentially. Think it’s meant to be more efficient as it doesn’t have to work so hard most of the time and when it does have to it can cool more quickly.

Yeah you have the benefit of defrosting the freeze whilst the fridge still works. I find the weak spot in most fridge freezers is the plastic trays that just tend to turn brittle and break
kester761 h, 15 m ago

Yeah you have the benefit of defrosting the freeze whilst the fridge still …Yeah you have the benefit of defrosting the freeze whilst the fridge still works. I find the weak spot in most fridge freezers is the plastic trays that just tend to turn brittle and break

Yes very annoying, they make them thin deliberately. You can buy new ones from places like espares sign up for their mail list and you’ll get vouchers sent occasionally, just buy when you have a voucher
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants