Groups
    EXPIRED

What Motherboard and Processor - AGP and 3/4 DDR memory slots ?

Hi chaps

Looking to replace my PC motherboard and processor, but would ideally like to re-use existing components such as an AGP graphics card and 3 PC3200 DDR memory sticks (total 1.5gb).

Any ideas on the best solution - not looking to pay a fortune - sub £100 preferable.

Have taken a look, but their are a lot of basic boards out there with older processors. I don't mind something which is not the newest kid on the block - but something which is going to see me through the next few years would be nice (Currently running an AMD XP1700+ - running at stock 1.4ghz).

Cheers

10 Comments

[SIZE=2]If you want to keep your ram and go down the AMD route overclockers have the
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (Socket 939) - OEM for £35.24 (£38.52 delivered). That leaves you with plenty left over for a heatsink/fan & motherboard.

overclockers.co.uk/sho…-AM

Specs:

2.2Ghz
    1mb cache
    90nm
    89 watt
    2000mhz bus
    [/SIZE]

I think you will struggle to find a new mobo with AGP & 4x DDR RAM slots. There are alot with 2 slots availble though.

My advice would be to save and buy a new computer. You can build one with much better spec than yours for about £250.

If you really want to keep your old parts and upgrade then this motherboard offers good upgradability for the future as it has PCI-e 16x aswel as AGP 8x, and it will take both DDR (only 2 slots though) & DDR2 memory (2 slots) (You cant mix&match with RAM though).

scan.co.uk/Pro…747

Then you could maybe get this dual core processor to put up to just under the £100 mark...

scan.co.uk/Pro…912

I recently upgraded my pc via the route you are looking at.This is what I got:

processor ]click AMD 3700 £41.15
    Heatsink and fan ]click £11.16
    Motherboard ]click ECS KV2 lite AGP £24.95

Total= £77.26 delivered from Ebuyer

Other processors you could go for:

]click AMD Athlon64 3800 £39.95
    ]click AMD Athlon64 4000 £53.86

muckypup

I recently upgraded my pc via the route you are looking at.This is what I … I recently upgraded my pc via the route you are looking at.This is what I got:processor ]click AMD 3700 £41.15Heatsink and fan ]click £11.16Motherboard ]click ECS KV2 lite AGP £24.95Total= £77.26 delivered from EbuyerOther processors you could go for:]click AMD Athlon64 3800 £39.95]click AMD Athlon64 4000 £53.86

I think your links for the fan and mobo both go to the fan?

currychops

I think your links for the fan and mobo both go to the fan?

So they do:oops:

Trust you to notice:p

I shall edit accordingly.......SIR;-)

All better now....links working:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Hi all

Thanks to Muckypup and Bingsy - looks just the job.

Many thanks to you all.

Cheers

muckypup

So they do:oops: Trust you to notice:p I shall edit … So they do:oops: Trust you to notice:p I shall edit accordingly.......SIR;-)

I notice everything on here when a female is involved...particularly a redhead LOL

Original Poster

Quick question for Muckypup

I have installed the mobo and processor you recommended - but now my PC restarts of it's own accord.

This could be after a few minutes - or when a CD / DVD is inserted.

Any ideas ?

shady

Quick question for MuckypupI have installed the mobo and processor you … Quick question for MuckypupI have installed the mobo and processor you recommended - but now my PC restarts of it's own accord.This could be after a few minutes - or when a CD / DVD is inserted.Any ideas ?

I suggest you PM mucky as I've not seen her on HUKD over the last week or so...maybe she's on holiday.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free pr subsidised loft insulation -not in benefits11
      2. Biscuit addiction1537
      3. Golf DSG GTD Real MPG?57
      4. Car park fine UKPC1212

See more discussions