What NAS do you use?

Found 23rd Jun
Planning on buying a new NAS and just wondering which one you guys have and what would make you recommend it? I'm undecided on the synology ds218play and the synology ds218+

Swaying more towards the ds218+ just to future proof myself considering I'm going to want to be keeping this for 4+ years. And will be just upgrading the drive size every few years.

All advice and recommendations welcome. My primary use for it will be media consumption via plex
Community Updates
AskComputersStorage
15 Comments
A cheap PC from from itzoo
I got a Synology DS216j. Works perfect and great playing 4k Content too
Synology DS216j (or Play, I can't remember) here as well. Its quick, dual NICs, has more than enough features for what I wanted and is a lot quieter than my older Dlink NAS
darthvader666uk1 h, 41 m ago

I got a Synology DS216j. Works perfect and great playing 4k Content too

darlodge1 h, 6 m ago

Synology DS216j (or Play, I can't remember) here as well. Its quick, dual …Synology DS216j (or Play, I can't remember) here as well. Its quick, dual NICs, has more than enough features for what I wanted and is a lot quieter than my older Dlink NAS

Interesting to know thank you guys. I was considering going for a cheaper/older model and then spending more on bigger drives.. But I'm so unsure.
rev62 h, 25 m ago

A cheap PC from from itzoo

Considered this also but synology really have my interest right now.
I use a 4tb shared drive. Works perfectly and you can use it as a ftp server to access it from anywhere
I built my own and installed FreeNAS on it. Get far better performance and versatility. For example, mine below is 4-5x faster CPU wise than the dj218+, on top of having much more RAM to accomdate more services and applications. All for not much more, plus if you really wanted, you could spend less on a case and PSU if you wanted. FreeNAS is very easy to install and configure.

All the plugins are great and configure all jail's to use a VPN.

- Intel G4600 CPU (£35 used)
- Silverstone low profile Nitrogon HSF (£12 new)
- Biostar Racing B150GTN ITX Mobo (£48 new)
- ADATA Ultimate SU800 (128GB) M.2 (£37 new)
- 16GB Crucial DDR4 2400mhz (£134 new)
- In-Win IW-MS04-01 4-Bay ITX NAS Storage Sever Case with PSU (£120 new)

£386 excluding drives.

Have 4x 4TB Western Digital Red NAS drives in it. Paid £85 per drive. So total cost was £726. Just over 10TB usable space in RAIDz

The case is fantastic aswell, good price considering you get the PSU included and fully hot swappable. The motherboard tray slides out completely for easy install.

34113103.jpg
Edited by: "spritey" 23rd Jun
depending on your mindset , you could try xpenology,
combines synology software with cheap commodity hardware.
I sometimes run a microserver 4gb/i3 2x6tb with xpenology and it really runs great , the added CPU/ram provides a great environment.
Microserver about 120 (after cashback)
2x6tb wd reds about 140 as recerts (wd mycloud mirror)
Synology NAS range are great. The newest (218) are also great but due to change in CPU, they don’t currently support any PLEX use at all.

That would be a big no no for me as I serve up all of my substantial music vi Plex to all of my mobile devices and Sonos speaker sin the house. So no Spotify needed for me saving a theoretical £15 a month for a family account. 18 months of Spotify savings and NAS and drives are paid for.
spritey23rd Jun

I built my own and installed FreeNAS on it. Get far better performance and …I built my own and installed FreeNAS on it. Get far better performance and versatility. For example, mine below is 4-5x faster CPU wise than the dj218+, on top of having much more RAM to accomdate more services and applications. All for not much more, plus if you really wanted, you could spend less on a case and PSU if you wanted. FreeNAS is very easy to install and configure.All the plugins are great and configure all jail's to use a VPN.- Intel G4600 CPU (£35 used)- Silverstone low profile Nitrogon HSF (£12 new)- Biostar Racing B150GTN ITX Mobo (£48 new)- ADATA Ultimate SU800 (128GB) M.2 (£37 new)- 16GB Crucial DDR4 2400mhz (£134 new)- In-Win IW-MS04-01 4-Bay ITX NAS Storage Sever Case with PSU (£120 new)£386 excluding drives. Have 4x 4TB Western Digital Red NAS drives in it. Paid £85 per drive. So total cost was £726. Just over 10TB usable space in RAIDzThe case is fantastic aswell, good price considering you get the PSU included and fully hot swappable. The motherboard tray slides out completely for easy install.[Image]

Really impressive setup. I wish I had the time to go this route but I dont. Also don't have the know how either.
jouster6 h, 35 m ago

Synology NAS range are great. The newest (218) are also great but due to …Synology NAS range are great. The newest (218) are also great but due to change in CPU, they don’t currently support any PLEX use at all. That would be a big no no for me as I serve up all of my substantial music vi Plex to all of my mobile devices and Sonos speaker sin the house. So no Spotify needed for me saving a theoretical £15 a month for a family account. 18 months of Spotify savings and NAS and drives are paid for.

Having done a little more research after posting this thread I learned that the play definitely doesn't do plex but read many posts on plex forums about people having the + up and running with plex successfully. Quite conflicted on this now.
GwanGy23rd Jun

depending on your mindset , you could try xpenology, combines synology …depending on your mindset , you could try xpenology, combines synology software with cheap commodity hardware.I sometimes run a microserver 4gb/i3 2x6tb with xpenology and it really runs great , the added CPU/ram provides a great environment. Microserver about 120 (after cashback)2x6tb wd reds about 140 as recerts (wd mycloud mirror)

I'll give this a research
Thank you
chantelle3107 h, 23 m ago

Having done a little more research after posting this thread I learned …Having done a little more research after posting this thread I learned that the play definitely doesn't do plex but read many posts on plex forums about people having the + up and running with plex successfully. Quite conflicted on this now.

You don’t have to go for the 18. The 16 is a great device still and will do everything you want with ease I’m sure.

Just because some people have managed to get it working, it doesn’t mean it will work properly. As stated in previous thread, the issue is that the new CPU in the 18 isn’t supported at all. A lot of these stop gaps may offer only a small amount of functionality

I’m sure Plex will come to the 18 at some point, there’s just no set date from the Plex team so you could be waiting a while

Whilst Plex won’t be for everyone. The benefits are huge in my opinion as per this little write up I did.

plex
Edited by: "jouster" 25th Jun
jouster1 h, 1 m ago

You don’t have to go for the 18. The 16 is a great device still and will d …You don’t have to go for the 18. The 16 is a great device still and will do everything you want with ease I’m sure. Just because some people have managed to get it working, it doesn’t mean it will work properly. As stated in previous thread, the issue is that the new CPU in the 18 isn’t supported at all. A lot of these stop gaps may offer only a small amount of functionality I’m sure Plex will come to the 18 at some point, there’s just no set date from the Plex team so you could be waiting a whileWhilst Plex won’t be for everyone. The benefits are huge in my opinion as per this little write up I did. plex

I was aiming for the 18 simply to future proof myself to be honest. No other preference for it. I want to keep it for a few years at least. Will I get that from the 16?bearing in mind I'll be likely adding some 4k content too. I'll hardly ever use it on more than one device too.

I completely agree with the plex opinion. I've been using it for years with some friends shared library's whilst running my own small one from my laptop now and then and wouldn't want to use anything different again
chantelle31018 m ago

I was aiming for the 18 simply to future proof myself to be honest. No …I was aiming for the 18 simply to future proof myself to be honest. No other preference for it. I want to keep it for a few years at least. Will I get that from the 16?bearing in mind I'll be likely adding some 4k content too. I'll hardly ever use it on more than one device too.I completely agree with the plex opinion. I've been using it for years with some friends shared library's whilst running my own small one from my laptop now and then and wouldn't want to use anything different again

For what you need I don’t foresee the 16 being left behind. They’ve only just recently updated its main software so you should be good for years to come.

Any more questions just ask.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants