Groups
    EXPIRED

What netbook to buy?

Hi, was hoping for advice on a new netbook..have £220 to spend and really only surf the net and listen to music, facebook etc. I know nothing at all about important things to look out for so would appreciate recommendations
    thank you

16 Comments

Are you looking for brand new hardware or refurbished hardware?

Original Poster

Hi scottyboy, brand new

for me i would stick to toshiba, samsung or dell they seem to be the best for netbooks. Remember its not just about speed etc the quality of the screen and internals . The guarantee and tech updates are really important

Original Poster

my friend has a Toshiba and it has a really good battery life.
    Will have a look thanks

hotukdeals.com/dea…823 9quid over your limit but this is the one im looking to buy in the next few days. stick another 2gig ram in it and away ya go!

Original Poster

thanks for that scrapsmac, I am interested in this one.
    How do I add the other 2gig ram?
    and also what do the comments mean about bad tracking pad?
    I really haven't a clue about the jargon, sorry!

ebuyer.com/pro…209 buy your 2gig from here then literally it slots in under a small cover on the underside of the laptop. you then just start it up and it'll automatically configure. easy really! doesn't void your warantee either

Original Poster

thank you scrapsmac, I will do. I am hoping this deal still on tmw when I have cash to buy it all!

i have a nb200 which i have used for a week and have had it for a few months, it comes boxed with charger and a sleeve and am looking for £200 including delivery or £180 if picked up from manchester

tesco's have 2 decent netbooks one with xp for £179 and another with windows 7 for £199

you got a link to the windows 7 one?

chrissafc

you got a link to the windows 7 one?

Here's links to both of them in case the OP wants to look at them further.

£179.00p - eMachines EM250 Black Netbook - (Intel Atom N270, 1GB, 160GB, 10.1" Screen, Windows XP Home) - Tesco.Direct
    direct.tesco.com/q/R…spx

£199.00p - Emachines eM250-01G16i N270, 1GB, 160GB, 10.1", Win7 Starter Home Netbook - Tesco.Direct
    direct.tesco.com/q/R…spx

Original Poster

thanks for all your help, have ordered the HP one in scrapsmac post.
    I will order the extra ram as well, just hope I know how to fit it!oO

P.S. the ram is £35..is that a good price?
    Edited by: "Troythecat" 20th Aug 2010

Troythecat

thanks for all your help, have ordered the HP one in scrapsmac post.I … thanks for all your help, have ordered the HP one in scrapsmac post.I will order the extra ram as well, just hope I know how to fit it!oOP.S. the ram is £35..is that a good price?

Good for the price IMHO as Crucial UK were charging more than that.

Installing the RAM is pretty straightforward - if you refer to the following video (apologies it's in French) you'll get a visual guide on how to do this but bear in mind that you need to ensure the netbook is not connected to the mains & also the battery is removed before attempting to start this.

YouTube - Compaq Mini 311C : Hardware & Upgrade
    youtube.com/wat…ted

Note it's at the beginning of the video that the memory upgrade slot is on the right-hand side - you can search for other videos though if your wanting it in English to make it easier.

Original Poster

thanks scotty Boy, very helpful

Troythecat

thanks scotty Boy, very helpful

No probs mate, glad to be of some help to you.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest new phone line install existing customer45
      2. Parcel Hero weight adjustment33
      3. iPhone charging cable.916
      4. Wifi extender1115

See more discussions