Expired

What oil should i use for a paper shredder?

Found 15th Aug 2014
What oil should i use for a paper shredder?

Any cooking oil i could use peanut, olive etc or do i need to buy a different type?

thanks for your time

19 Comments

Fellowes Shredder Oil is the one I used, it costs around £8 a bottle, although sometimes you can get it cheaper if you look out for it on amazon when they are on offer... if you shred alot of documents then any vegetable oil should do although not recommended if you only shred occasionally as the oil will turn rancid in your shredder heads. Hope that helps

Original Poster

I am a binge shredder so i not sure if all the oil will be wiped by the paper by the time i am done.

Is there an engine oil i could use instead then?

I guess the fellowes oil is nothing special and sold at a high £ per ml but the question is what oil is it?

Your best bet, just like electric shavers or clippers is mineral oil, can be bought cheaply and doesn't go off, I would personally stay away from engine oil but that's your choice if you only want to use something at hand

Original Poster

What is mineral oil?

and where can i buy it on the high street?

Rapeseed oil seems to be the most suggested (canola in the USA) from material safety data sheets for the official lubricants.

http://assets.fellowes.com/MSDS/35250ShredderOil_2012MSDS.pdf

It also makes a good insecticide too.
Edited by: "cootuk2" 15th Aug 2014

Maybe you can use a silicone oil,. Thats what they use in knitwear and hosiery machines. Its got a low viscosity.

trott3r

What is mineral oil?and where can i buy it on the high street?

It's a neutral food safe grade oil, if you have any hair clippers the little lubricant you get included is that, regarding procurement, eBay, pharmacies, lakeland and if you're lucky I'm sure I saw some in the B&M/The Range type places

Banned

WD-40 should be fine.

Original Poster

cootuk2

Rapeseed oil seems to be the most suggested (canola in the USA) from … Rapeseed oil seems to be the most suggested (canola in the USA) from material safety data sheets for the official lubricants.http://assets.fellowes.com/MSDS/35250ShredderOil_2012MSDS.pdfIt also makes a good insecticide too.

anywhere on the highstreet i could pick it up?

Original Poster

Rupz

Maybe you can use a silicone oil,. Thats what they use in knitwear and … Maybe you can use a silicone oil,. Thats what they use in knitwear and hosiery machines. Its got a low viscosity.

I think wd40 is silicone based but it does pong quite a bit

Original Poster

BarmyBulldog

It's a neutral food safe grade oil, if you have any hair clippers the … It's a neutral food safe grade oil, if you have any hair clippers the little lubricant you get included is that, regarding procurement, eBay, pharmacies, lakeland and if you're lucky I'm sure I saw some in the B&M/The Range type places

B&M as in b+m bargains or another?

What use is it in for health ) pharmacies?

Original Poster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biona-Rapeseed-First-Pressing-Organic/dp/B003VJQOAW/ref=sr_1_69?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1408122962&sr=1-69&keywords=Rapeseed+oil

Rapeseed oil seems to be cheap although i pay the same for postage as i do for the product

trott3r

B&M as in b+m bargains or another?What use is it in for health ) … B&M as in b+m bargains or another?What use is it in for health ) pharmacies?

Yeah B&M bargains, it can be used in constipation, add to baths, as an emollient it's an old school product but they should still stock it if not be able to order it in. I bought some from eBay to oil butchers block

Original Poster

BarmyBulldog

Yeah B&M bargains, it can be used in constipation, add to baths, as an … Yeah B&M bargains, it can be used in constipation, add to baths, as an emollient it's an old school product but they should still stock it if not be able to order it in. I bought some from eBay to oil butchers block

thanks for that i will have a look next time i am in

Original Poster

Thanks for the shaver mention.

Ii will have more than one use for it when i pick some up

stick with wd 40 it leaves a lubricant coating on the surface better than oil plus cleaner.

Yes wd40 is fine.

Supermarkets do the rapeseed oil by the general cooking oils..around £2/litre

Home bargains sell a pack of shredder lubricating pads, which you just shred. It does the job. I got 10 for about a pound or so...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions