What paint is best to withstand condensation in a sunlounge or conservatory please?

Found 17th Jan 2016
Painted the newly built conservatory with masonry paint and saw mould on the wall. Please help! Suggest some names from EXPERIENCE. All help appreciated.
Community Updates
AskGarden FurniturePaint
21 Comments
is the mould inside or outside?
not sure but if it's a new conservatory I'd get them back out to address the actual problem
mutley1

is the mould inside or outside?

On the surface of the paint, near the top corners. The walls were painted by me and I only used masonry paint.
aym280

On the surface of the paint, near the top corners. The walls were painted … On the surface of the paint, near the top corners. The walls were painted by me and I only used masonry paint.

is it inside the conservatory that has become mouldy or is it outside the conservatory?
If newly built was the plaster inside totally dry before painting?
If it's paint on the inside, I would get a good bathroom paint.
Also get a dehumidifier, and use that first to dry it out prior to prep and paint.
Stain or mould block paint that's white as a base then there's 5 year guarantee mould proof paint both available from b&q
LizzyP

Stain or mould block paint that's white as a base then there's 5 year … Stain or mould block paint that's white as a base then there's 5 year guarantee mould proof paint both available from b&q

The mould proof paint was for the bathroom but can be used in other rooms
There is a range of products in Lidl at the moment. We have had success with these in the past

leaflet007.co.uk/ant…tml
Anti condensation paint can be very good. It's a while since I used any, so you could check reviews yourself. Here's some more general information.
doityourself.com/str…int
mutley1

is it inside the conservatory that has become mouldy or is it outside the … is it inside the conservatory that has become mouldy or is it outside the conservatory?

Inside the conservatory.
aym280

Inside the conservatory.

it is caused by one of two things:

1. water is penetrating into the walls from the outside making it damp so causing the mould to grow
2. there is not enough ventilation in the conservatory for the moist air to escape so causing the mould to grow.

do you get mould any where else in the house?
aym280

Inside the conservatory.

Have you painted the Masonry paint onto plaster ?
deb8z

Yes. Is that wrong?Have you painted the Masonry paint onto plaster ?

I have used Ronseal anti mould in bathroom it is worth the money
anthea

I have used Ronseal anti mould in bathroom it is worth the money

Do they have brilliant white in Ronseal anti-mould please? I can only think of brown or chocolate when it comes to the name Ronseal
we got white they do silk or matt
aym280

I'm not an expert I just wondered if that's what you did,as someone mentioned earlier was the plaster completely dry before you painted it as you do need to establish what's causing it,if its condensation etc
I would definitely address the problem first rather than just painting over it. But if you have already, I always use Zinsser, you can get it form screwfix, and it never fails to cover stains/ residue of black mould
jambone

I would definitely address the problem first rather than just painting … I would definitely address the problem first rather than just painting over it. But if you have already, I always use Zinsser, you can get it form screwfix, and it never fails to cover stains/ residue of black mould

I was just going to say that's what we used,it's expensive though if you need a lot.

decoratingdirect.co.uk/vie…EP/
Masonry paint is generally for outside to withstand the elements and will therefore get a lot of fresh air too. Definitely see if the damp is penetrating due to building work, but the problem could be something as simple as lack of ventilation because you dry washing in there, etc. Ventilate by opening the windows or putting them on vent - clean up the mould and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, you know the cause of the problem. Kitchen and bathroom paint usually has an anti-fungal in it, which helps to minimise mould growth.
Edited by: "Mermoo" 17th Jan 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants