What protein shakes should I take to fasten my recover time

Posted 29th Dec 2019
I am struggling to stay in a rythm of excercie as it takes 4 days+ to get over excercise regardless of how intense, looking to try adding some protein shake to drink after excercise, shall I get any protein shake or a specific recovery shake
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
Are you new to it all? When you start off it's quite easy to tear muscles which can put you out for a little while, sometimes worse than others. I'd suggest focus on warming up and eat plenty of protein enriched foods.
What kind of exercise do you do? If cardio definitely look at doing stretches to improve flexibility. If weights then just work a different group. Hitting chest hard is all good. Whilst that recovering work on legs and back. Etc
Edit :
If you want a shake. Look at either protein that is high protein content. Bulk powders do a very good whey. If you can find something with glutamine that should help a bit too but honestly the best remedy is to keep going and get your body used to it.
Edited by: "MisterMike" 29th Dec 2019
Try having Glutamine with your Protein shake after training, it’s brilliant stuff for speeding up recovery and very cheap too
try a foam roller first after excercise - that helped me speed up recovery. There is usually one around in the gym.
No body here should be recommending any advice to OP. There are too many variables to an individual’s fitness & nutrition. hukd should not allow this type of question.
Alternatively try a full 6 day bodybuilder split, consume 1gram of high quality protein per lean pound of body weight, from whole food preferably but myprotein supps if that’s not possible. Carbs & fats in moderation. Starches over sugars. Low dose of T should take care of any recovery issues. Oh & good luck, seriously
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 30th Dec 2019
I am not an expert but if its taking you 4 days to recover it sounds like you are working way to hard, you should be working at an intensity that allows you to exercise 3-4 times a week, if you are over doing it you will be doing more harm for very little benefit, protein shakes will not help you if that is the case.
Edited by: "coys67" 30th Dec 2019
coys6730/12/2019 08:47

I am not an expert but if its taking you 4 days to recover it sounds like …I am not an expert but if its taking you 4 days to recover it sounds like you are working way to hard, you should be working at an intensity that allows you to exercise 3-4 times a week, if you are over doing it you will be doing more harm for very little benefit, protein shakes will not help you if that is the case.

Can be slow 10 minute jog, I have issues, hence looking at protein
OP, this is not the first time that you have asked a question about your tiredness after exercise and from what you have described, you need to speak to your gp as it sounds like you have an underlying health condition, which needs to be investigated.

has your gp recommended that you take protein shake?
JumpMan198030/12/2019 08:24

No body here should be recommending any advice to OP. There are too many …No body here should be recommending any advice to OP. There are too many variables to an individual’s fitness & nutrition. hukd should not allow this type of question.

Yeah, true that. Without knowing the OP you shouldn't give any nutritional/excercise advice.

JumpMan198030/12/2019 08:29

Alternatively try a full 6 day bodybuilder split, consume 1gram of high …Alternatively try a full 6 day bodybuilder split, consume 1gram of high quality protein per lean pound of body weight, from whole food preferably but myprotein supps if that’s not possible. Carbs & fats in moderation. Starches over sugars. Low dose of T should take care of any recovery issues. Oh & good luck, seriously

mutley130/12/2019 11:57

OP, this is not the first time that you have asked a question about your …OP, this is not the first time that you have asked a question about your tiredness after exercise and from what you have described, you need to speak to your gp as it sounds like you have an underlying health condition, which needs to be investigated.has your gp recommended that you take protein shake?

You can never ask too many questions on HUKD as you well know.

OP, this is not the first time that you have asked a question about your …OP, this is not the first time that you have asked a question about your tiredness after exercise and from what you have described, you need to speak to your gp as it sounds like you have an underlying health condition, which needs to be investigated.has your gp recommended that you take protein shake?

Hello, I agree I think I will so,

I just bought some powder, will give it a go after exercise and see if It helps, I think if it does not help after a few weeks of going for short 8 min mile jog i will go back to my GP
Gumbon30/12/2019 12:03

Hello, I agree I think I will so, I just bought some powder, will give it …Hello, I agree I think I will so, I just bought some powder, will give it a go after exercise and see if It helps, I think if it does not help after a few weeks of going for short 8 min mile jog i will go back to my GP

so have you already been to the GP and what did he say?
coys6730/12/2019 08:47

I am not an expert but if its taking you 4 days to recover it sounds like …I am not an expert but if its taking you 4 days to recover it sounds like you are working way to hard, you should be working at an intensity that allows you to exercise 3-4 times a week, if you are over doing it you will be doing more harm for very little benefit, protein shakes will not help you if that is the case.

A typical daily intake of more than a gram of protein for every 1 pound of body weight (unless you are a high-performing athlete) is very likely going to be wasted anyway.

This ratio differs depending on which medical professional is asked, or which source is used to promote a product, but this balance seems to be the presently accepted general consensus of opinion.

JumpMan198030/12/2019 08:24

No body here should be recommending any advice to OP. There are too many …No body here should be recommending any advice to OP. There are too many variables to an individual’s fitness & nutrition. hukd should not allow this type of question.

Those variables include age, body composition, muscle mass, height, frequency/duration/type of exercise/activity, current state of health, any specific goals for fitness or physique &, as you said, @JumpMan1980, many more variables that nobody here is going to be able to advise anybody upon without knowing many more details than have already been shared.

In fact, if you put two people of the same gender, same age, same height, & same weight side-by-side you could not categorically say that after an identical workout/training session both required the same intake of protein, both recovered at the same rate, & both had the same calorific expenditure during their exercise (& thereafter for up to 48 hours following the activity period).

@Gumbon - For your information:
[ healthline.com/nut…day ]

"...Some studies show that more than 0.8 grams per pound (1.8 grams per kg) have no benefit, while others indicate that intakes slightly higher than 1 gram of protein per pound (2.2 grams per kg) is best..."

If you are suggesting it takes you at least four days to recover from a ten-minute jog, then I would recommend you ask for a health check-up at your local G.P. or, at the very least, seek their advice directly as they will be able to offer suitable guidance that none of us here can give specifically directed towards your personal circumstances.

Yes, we can all post information about what exercise we do, what we believe helps with our own recovery, &/or why we do not use other approaches/products, but none of this will be directly applicable to you.

Has anybody here ever been recommended to regularly use protein shakes (or increase protein intake by other methods), or take any dietary supplements to help with their training regime, rather than eating a well-balanced diet, staying hydrated during waking hours, taking sufficient rest between exercise, & getting an ample amount of sleep on a daily basis?

If anybody has, then perhaps we can have a better-informed discussion.
Ah, but a person on the internet told me to.......

OP, book an appointment with your GP and go back again explaining all that has been occurring.
fanpages30/12/2019 12:25

A typical daily intake of more than a gram of protein for every 1 pound of …A typical daily intake of more than a gram of protein for every 1 pound of body weight (unless you are a high-performing athlete) is very likely going to be wasted anyway.This ratio differs depending on which medical professional is asked, or which source is used to promote a product, but this balance seems to be the presently accepted general consensus of opinion.Those variables include age, body composition, muscle mass, height, frequency/duration/type of exercise/activity, current state of health, any specific goals for fitness or physique &, as you said, @JumpMan1980, many more variables that nobody here is going to be able to advise anybody upon without knowing many more details than have already been shared.In fact, if you put two people of the same gender, same age, same height, & same weight side-by-side you could not categorically say that after an identical workout/training session both required the same intake of protein, both recovered at the same rate, & both had the same calorific expenditure during their exercise (& thereafter for up to 48 hours following the activity period).@Gumbon - For your information:[ https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-per-day ]"...Some studies show that more than 0.8 grams per pound (1.8 grams per kg) have no benefit, while others indicate that intakes slightly higher than 1 gram of protein per pound (2.2 grams per kg) is best..."If you are suggesting it takes you at least four days to recover from a ten-minute jog, then I would recommend you ask for a health check-up at your local G.P. or, at the very least, seek their advice directly as they will be able to offer suitable guidance that none of us here can give specifically directed towards your personal circumstances.Yes, we can all post information about what exercise we do, what we believe helps with our own recovery, &/or why we do not use other approaches/products, but none of this will be directly applicable to you.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

The thing seems to be it does not matter if its 10 minutes or 2 hours, I stretch before hand and and the jog is not sprinting, not to hard, 9 minute mile pace, so not fast, or I can go play football for an hour and same recovery time is needed, feel exhausted for 4 days.

As said I think I will try some protein after excercise and see if there is any improvement.

I went to NHS Physio 4-5 times which ate into holiday work time and it was relatviely pointless just showing me excercise I;ve seen alrwady on various apps, Will go back to GP for second opinion after this.... they always seem to need want to actually help, I guess they see a young (not overweight) person and don't see there being a medical issue?
fanpages30/12/2019 12:30

Has anybody here ever been recommended to regularly use protein shakes (or …Has anybody here ever been recommended to regularly use protein shakes (or increase protein intake by other methods), or take any dietary supplements to help with their training regime, rather than eating a well-balanced diet, staying hydrated during waking hours, taking sufficient rest between exercise, & getting an ample amount of sleep on a daily basis?If anybody has, then perhaps we can have a better-informed discussion.

apparently so, one of many articles

healthyeating.sfgate.com/whe…tml
fanpages30/12/2019 12:30

Has anybody here ever been recommended to regularly use protein shakes (or …Has anybody here ever been recommended to regularly use protein shakes (or increase protein intake by other methods), or take any dietary supplements to help with their training regime, rather than eating a well-balanced diet, staying hydrated during waking hours, taking sufficient rest between exercise, & getting an ample amount of sleep on a daily basis?If anybody has, then perhaps we can have a better-informed discussion.

mutley130/12/2019 16:29

apparently so, one of many …apparently so, one of many articleshttps://healthyeating.sfgate.com/whey-protein-recover-faster-7396.html

The question was "Has anybody here in this thread...", @mutley1.

So the answer is still 'no'.

Whey protein would not help me recover faster, either; in fact, it would have the opposite effect.
fanpages30/12/2019 19:11

The question was "Has anybody here in this thread...", @mutley1.So the …The question was "Has anybody here in this thread...", @mutley1.So the answer is still 'no'.Whey protein would not help me recover faster, either; in fact, it would have the opposite effect.

Protein in general, why not?
Gumbon30/12/2019 19:14

Protein in general, why not?

I am lactose-intolerant so my protein intake cannot be from whey.
Gumbon30/12/2019 15:01

Hi Thanks for the reply.The thing seems to be it does not matter if its 10 …Hi Thanks for the reply.The thing seems to be it does not matter if its 10 minutes or 2 hours, I stretch before hand and and the jog is not sprinting, not to hard, 9 minute mile pace, so not fast, or I can go play football for an hour and same recovery time is needed, feel exhausted for 4 days.As said I think I will try some protein after excercise and see if there is any improvement.I went to NHS Physio 4-5 times which ate into holiday work time and it was relatviely pointless just showing me excercise I;ve seen alrwady on various apps, Will go back to GP for second opinion after this.... they always seem to need want to actually help, I guess they see a young (not overweight) person and don't see there being a medical issue?

I have just returned from my usual training centre in London. It was closed (when it was supposed to be open until 8pm this evening), so that would have been a wasted 2-hour 'round trip (& £30.00 worth of rail fare/parking costs) if I had not run back to my railway station upon finding I could not workout for my usual 1.5 to 2.5 hour session.

Within the 28-minute run back, I clocked an average heart rate of 88% of my maximum, & a guesstimate of 465 KCal. burned (according to my heart rate monitor that was strapped to my chest for the duration of my run).

When I stopped it took me less than thirty seconds to recover (with my heart rate returning to under 40% of my maximum beats per minute).

Now I am home (after visiting a local supermarket for half an hour) I will not be taking any additional protein &, in fact, apart from a cup of black tea this morning I had not eaten nor drunken anything since 11pm yesterday.

This is what I was meaning regarding what is suitable for one individual may be completely unsuitable for somebody else.

You, on the other hand, seem to be continuing with the notion that taking protein after your jog is still the right thing to do, & will cure you of your ailment, in spite of all the responses you have received asking you to seek medical advice.

To me it sounds like you have a problem that needs addressing. I would not be surprised if you had a heart condition; not serious, but certainly abnormal.

PS. I didn't meant to alarm you. In fact, that's probably the last thing I should have done if you do have a problem with your heart!
Edited by: "fanpages" 30th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions