what router to replace bt smarthub 6

Found 20th May 2017
What router would you buy to replace a bt smart hub 6 with a maximum of a £150 to spend ,needs to have better wireless range and be able to connect multiable devices
Thanks
Community Updates
AskRouter
18 Comments
amazon.co.uk/gp/…sed

I bought my parents one of these a few months ago from currys as it was on offer for about £90... its on amazon warehouse for £91. Me and a friend bought one each for our own homes the other day in the 20% off deals and they came virtually brand new. Box had been opened but nothing was unsealed inside. I think they are very good we don't have signal drops or anything we used to.

If you go for another router make sure you see if they have a built in modem as many do not and you need to purchase an external modem.
Id also check this review as some of the spec on Amazon is incorrect.
It has USB 3.0 and i think the UI has been updated since this review
trustedreviews.com/asu…iew
From my experience even the newest routers with fast wifi ain't all that good, all depends on the house, thickness of walls, interference and router location etc. could always just keep the router and spend 50 odd quid on some wifi homeplugs.
Original Poster

The ASUS DSL-AC68U AC1900 looks very good with good reviews,looks about 2 year old now,is there better newer routers or is this the best option thanks all for the advice
jackr95

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00O27PHGY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=usedI bought my parents one of these a few months ago from currys as it was on offer for about £90... its on amazon warehouse for £91. Me and a friend bought one each for our own homes the other day in the 20% off deals and they came virtually brand new. Box had been opened but nothing was unsealed inside. I think they are very good we don't have signal drops or anything we used to.If you go for another router make sure you see if they have a built in modem as many do not and you need to purchase an external modem.

​I bought an AC750 the other day but I sent it back as the 2.4Ghz signal was really bad, slowing down to 1Mbps sometimes. I really liked the UI though so I might take a punt on one of these and hope it's a lot better than the lower model.
The BT smarthub is pretty good in my opinion. If you want longer ranges connect to 2.4ghz and make sure you are on the least congested channel. If you spend £150 on a different router and go with the default settings you're gonna have the same problems.

Stick with the smart hub and get and extender in the kitchen if you want signal at the end of your garden.
Yeomanroach

The BT smarthub is pretty good in my opinion. If you want longer ranges … The BT smarthub is pretty good in my opinion. If you want longer ranges connect to 2.4ghz and make sure you are on the least congested channel. If you spend £150 on a different router and go with the default settings you're gonna have the same problems.Stick with the smart hub and get and extender in the kitchen if you want signal at the end of your garden.

being a dinosaur , how do you change chanels and to 2.4?

Edited by: "peterdarlison" 21st May 2017
Yeah, a new router is just about the worst possible solution for better range. You want to add a second access point to the network.

The easiest way is to get a pair of homeplugs with a built in access point, the best way is to run an ethernet cable and stick an access point on the end of that.
The Home Hub 6 is pretty good - if you still have problems with coverage I would look at the BT whole home WiFi boxes they sell, they are excellent - but a three 'disc' setup is around 200
Original Poster
Thanks very much for to replies,my smart hub reboots ,sometimes hard to connect to it,and wi fi is sometimes worse than the bt hub 5 I used to use .Also if watching iptv then somebody uses their phone iptv stops.So just fancy changing it.Most poeple are suggesting the asus DSL-AC68U which looks like to one i will get, is it better to buy the model with modem built in or without and use the separate modem i already have.I will sell the bt smart hub and buy extender if needed.
Thanks all for your time it appreciated
This might help. Sounds like smart setup is enabled on your hub. If you turn that off, all your problems should go away.
expertreviews.co.uk/net…ing
davnav

Thanks very much for to replies,my smart hub reboots ,sometimes hard to … Thanks very much for to replies,my smart hub reboots ,sometimes hard to connect to it,and wi fi is sometimes worse than the bt hub 5 I used to use .Also if watching iptv then somebody uses their phone iptv stops.So just fancy changing it.Most poeple are suggesting the asus DSL-AC68U which looks like to one i will get, is it better to buy the model with modem built in or without and use the separate modem i already have.I will sell the bt smart hub and buy extender if needed.Thanks all for your time it appreciated

The one without the modem you can put custom merlin firmware on which is rated highly although I've never done this as I have the DSL version. If you do go for the built in version I can vouch for amazon warehouse deals. The very good ones are brand new just opened box
peterdarlison

being a dinosaur , how do you change chanels and to 2.4?

expertreviews.co.uk/net…ing
davnav

Thanks very much for to replies,my smart hub reboots ,sometimes hard to … Thanks very much for to replies,my smart hub reboots ,sometimes hard to connect to it,and wi fi is sometimes worse than the bt hub 5 I used to use .Also if watching iptv then somebody uses their phone iptv stops.So just fancy changing it.Most poeple are suggesting the asus DSL-AC68U which looks like to one i will get, is it better to buy the model with modem built in or without and use the separate modem i already have.I will sell the bt smart hub and buy extender if needed.Thanks all for your time it appreciated

​Don't! The DSL-AC88U is an absolute turkey. Avoid at all costs.
Edit: it's the DSL-AC68U. (This place won't let me edit my post)
Original Poster
After alot of advice im going for the ASUS DSL-AC68U as reviews are good for this router and its going to be less clutter of wires,also as no other routers have been put foward.Massive thanks to you all, much appreciated.
The Nighthawk R7000 is excellent, don't go for the newer R8000 though
davnav

I had all the same issues with the BT Smart Hub HH6. The BT engineer reckons there were batches of bad ones which had all sorts of problems. He changed me to a HH5 and since then I have had no issues. I extended the wifi using another HH5 and now we a happier family.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions