What SATA to USB cable do I need?

Sadly my Samsung NP-R519 has developed a faulty hard drive. I understand that I will need to buy a SATA to USB cable to read the hard drive data on another laptop as I need access to data on there.

What cable will be suitable and cost effective? I have been told 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 cable would be appropriate as shown in link on first post by a helpful HUKD member but wonder if there are others also appropriate?

In particular, my current laptop is a Lenovo Flex 15 ideapad, which has 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 USB 3.0 port. Looking around, there appear to be SATA to USB 2.0 and also SATA to USB 3.0

Thanks guys.

13 Comments

Original Poster

this cable has been recommended but I wonder if there are other also appropriate, in particular SATA to USB 3.0 as that only needs to be plugged into one USB cable?

ebay.co.uk/itm…rue

Make sure its USB 3.0 as it's a lot faster.

Used a few different ones and at the moment the StarTech USB 3.0 to sata adapter is the best I've used. Not overly cheap, but easy to use and solid.

The 2nd USB Connector (the Smaller One) is purely for additional current to power the Hard Drive, and probably never needed, unless your using a really old Hard Drive.

If you need to to buy or replace your existing drive, just buy an External USB Hard Drive, then just swop the Drives, just make sure the External Sata Drive is correct for your Laptop.

Original Poster

joedastudd

Make sure its USB 3.0 as it's a lot faster.Used a few different ones and … Make sure its USB 3.0 as it's a lot faster.Used a few different ones and at the moment the StarTech USB 3.0 to sata adapter is the best I've used. Not overly cheap, but easy to use and solid.

thanks. the faulty hard drive that i need to read is 250GB, what time difference are we talking about to read this with USB 2.0? when you say easy to use, can you explain what this means? i have not used this before so i thought it was simply a cable to connect and read? if so, i don't understand how easy or difficult in this context?

Original Poster

zirk

The 2nd USB Connector (the Smaller One) is purely for additional current … The 2nd USB Connector (the Smaller One) is purely for additional current to power the Hard Drive, and probably never needed, unless your using a really old Hard Drive.If you need to to buy or replace your existing drive, just buy an External USB Hard Drive, then just swop the Drives, just make sure the External Sata Drive is correct for your Laptop.

thank you. i may consider replacing the drive and use the laptop as a spare. as it is nearly 7 years old, it may well be that other parts of the laptop is also faulty or becoming faulty if the hard drive has developed a fault so i may just bin it and not spend any more money on it as i already have another two newer laptop and will probably get another one next year.

i certainly like the idea of an external hard drive that you mention, but i don't understand when you say swap the drive, do you mean tell windows to swap the drive?

mutley1

thanks. the faulty hard drive that i need to read is 250GB, what time … thanks. the faulty hard drive that i need to read is 250GB, what time difference are we talking about to read this with USB 2.0? when you say easy to use, can you explain what this means? i have not used this before so i thought it was simply a cable to connect and read? if so, i don't understand how easy or difficult in this context?

The speed difference is upto 10x quicker.

Some of the older adapters had separate power adapters and the 2 port usb adapters need two ports next to each other.
Windows recognises it instantly (no additional drivers) and the speeds were great, don't really need it to do more then that.

Original Poster

joedastudd

The speed difference is upto 10x quicker.Some of the older adapters had … The speed difference is upto 10x quicker.Some of the older adapters had separate power adapters and the 2 port usb adapters need two ports next to each other.Windows recognises it instantly (no additional drivers) and the speeds were great, don't really need it to do more then that.

cheers. so do you know what sort of time difference we are working with when i read a 250GB hard disk on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0? Hours or minutes?

It's going to depend on how much data is actually on the disk and how badly it's damaged.

Once you plug it in the disk will show up like a USB drive so you can copy the files you want.
The worse the condition the higher chance it will crash out or take considerably longer.
The more files obviously means the longer transfer time.

Edited by: "joedastudd" 9th Jun

Original Poster

joedastudd

It's going to depend on how much data is actually on the disk and how … It's going to depend on how much data is actually on the disk and how badly it's damaged.Once you plug it in the disk will show up like a USB drive so you can copy the files you want.The worse the condition the higher chance it will crash out or take considerably longer.The more files obviously means the longer transfer time.

cheers.

mutley1

Sadly my Samsung NP-R519 has developed a faulty hard drive. I understand … Sadly my Samsung NP-R519 has developed a faulty hard drive. I understand that I will need to buy a SATA to USB cable to read the hard drive data on another laptop as I need access to data on there.

As joedastudd said, it all depends on how damaged the drive is. If there are just some bad sectors but the heads haven't crashed etc. (basically the drive didn't make any nasty sounds), you might be okay.

(Standard CAVEAT: if the data is at all value, don't even power it on and look at getting a professional to look at it. This will likely cost £100s but there is a real danger of losing it all if you don't know what you are doing.)

Anyway, if you're going to do it yourself getting a USB 3.0 is probably best. But not all USB<>SATA adapter are the same and it may be that you won't be able recognise something with the adapter but it would fine plugged into a SATA port on a desktop.

Once you have the drive actually connected and recognised remember that it could fail any time. So thing about these things:
1) not all data is equal: personal documents and photographs you don't have backed up are a lot more important than replaceable stuff like MP3s or videos. So priorities what you want to recover first.

2) get familiar with where things are. For instance DRIVE:\Users\etc.

3) make sure your adapter can provide enough power. The second USB adapter part is for power. What you don't want is a fragile, failing drive to be spinning up and down all the time as like a said, when the drive shows up it may permanently fail at any time.

mutley1

thank you. i may consider replacing the drive and use the laptop as a … thank you. i may consider replacing the drive and use the laptop as a spare. as it is nearly 7 years old, it may well be that other parts of the laptop is also faulty or becoming faulty if the hard drive has developed a fault so i may just bin it and not spend any more money on it as i already have another two newer laptop and will probably get another one next year.i certainly like the idea of an external hard drive that you mention, but i don't understand when you say swap the drive, do you mean tell windows to swap the drive?

In a word if you were going to replace the HD in your Lappy, then by buying a External USB 2.5" Sata HD, youve effectively won yourself a USB HD Cable and Caddy, ie take the HD from the Caddy and install it into your Lappy, fresh Install of Windows etc.

That way youve got means to check your old drive and use the Caddy or lead for HD Cloning or external Back Ups in the Future.

Youve also got more chance of getting Data off it or repairing your Old Drive when its run as an External Hard Drive as your not using that Drive from Boot Up or its installed Operating System.

joedastudd

The speed difference is upto 10x quicker.

250MB/s from a laptop hard drive? That estimate is way off. Half that would be the limits of reasonableness.

Speed varies depending on what you're transferring as well as the total capacity. Lots of small files are much slower while if it's mostly 10GB blu-ray rips then it'll be towards the faster end of what the laptop drive can manage.

That means USB 3.0 could be anything from no difference at all up to maybe 3-4x as fast. Call it maybe 1.5x as fast (45MB/s) for an average sort of drive and contents.

Original Poster

Gkains

As joedastudd said, it all depends on how damaged the drive is. If there … As joedastudd said, it all depends on how damaged the drive is. If there are just some bad sectors but the heads haven't crashed etc. (basically the drive didn't make any nasty sounds), you might be okay.(Standard CAVEAT: if the data is at all value, don't even power it on and look at getting a professional to look at it. This will likely cost £100s but there is a real danger of losing it all if you don't know what you are doing.)Anyway, if you're going to do it yourself getting a USB 3.0 is probably best. But not all USB<>SATA adapter are the same and it may be that you won't be able recognise something with the adapter but it would fine plugged into a SATA port on a desktop.Once you have the drive actually connected and recognised remember that it could fail any time. So thing about these things:1) not all data is equal: personal documents and photographs you don't have backed up are a lot more important than replaceable stuff like MP3s or videos. So priorities what you want to recover first.2) get familiar with where things are. For instance DRIVE:\Users\etc.3) make sure your adapter can provide enough power. The second USB adapter part is for power. What you don't want is a fragile, failing drive to be spinning up and down all the time as like a said, when the drive shows up it may permanently fail at any time.

thank you. the drive did not make any funny noise. i only really need an excel spreadsheet on there as a priority as i have important information on there because i can't blooming remember anything so it is all recorded on the spreadsheet. lol.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)68
    2. cats and royal canin biscuits69
    3. Wifi extender812
    4. seller asked for IMEI11

See more discussions