Expired

What Should I buy cheap in USA?

Found 5th Aug 2012
I won a trip to New York + going on Tuesday! Won it through Costcutter last year and the time has come I was just wondering what you guys thoughts would be on buying stuff for cheap over there?
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
Clothes are meant to be much cheaper in America, not 100% sure though as it was word of mouth.
Jeans and camera lenses
Apple products?
Electronic consumer goods are cheap. Make sure the equipment will work here since they operate on 110V and 50Hz, as opposed to our 230V 60Hz. Software is also cheaper.
Buy a mix of clothes and electricals. However don't stuff your suitcase full of gadgets otherwise the customs people here will sting you on your return
tech and clothing. stuff used to work out cheaper when the exchange rate was better but still work out cheaper tbh.
When you take out tax, then the cost of paying for a UK charger, apple products turn out to be similar/same price.

Clothing and footwear is good start, every time I go there I end up buying another suit case to bring back with stuff. As going to new York the shops are quite expensive so there is not a lot of difference in price compared to the uk. They do have stuff that isn't out in this country tho so that can be good to buy
a expensive watch Omega, Tag Heuer et al, you save the Vat, just make sure you wear it back, and hide the receipt
Just remember that all the prices you see are ex their local sales tax (not sue what it is is in NYC, but I'd guess around 8%).

I keep being told that there's a way of claiming it back, but in 10 years I've never managed it
steve1221

Just remember that all the prices you see are ex their local sales tax … Just remember that all the prices you see are ex their local sales tax (not sue what it is is in NYC, but I'd guess around 8%).I keep being told that there's a way of claiming it back, but in 10 years I've never managed it

you have been told wrong. you cant reclaim sales tax unlike US visitors to the UK who can claim back VAT. Another win-win situation for the yanks in the same vein as the one sided extradition agreement!
Edited by: "csiman" 5th Aug 2012
aircanman

When you take out tax, then the cost of paying for a UK charger, apple … When you take out tax, then the cost of paying for a UK charger, apple products turn out to be similar/same price.

Not in cases like buying iPads and iPhones they're still considerably cheaper compared to buying from Apple in UK. Plus who won't have a UK apple charger already in their house and they're only like £5 on eBay.

My mum bought a iPad 2 from the states a year or so back they were £400 here and she got it for $499 and tax was like $31 i think. Still saved like £70.

Yeah cheap electronic items aren't worht it as you'll only save £10 odd but the more expensive things you want the better it will be to buy from the US.
Clothes! If there're sales on at Macy's etc you can save a fortune.. I bought a holdall worth while I was there (Holdalls are quite cheap too!)
I was in New York last June, i found it really cheap buying clothes there specially at the factory oulet. If you are going to New York the closest factory outlet is called Woodberry Common Prime Outlet. It is in outskirt of New York, you can take the coach buses from Canal Street and look for buses that goes there.
oil
hello55060

Not in cases like buying iPads and iPhones they're still considerably … Not in cases like buying iPads and iPhones they're still considerably cheaper compared to buying from Apple in UK. Plus who won't have a UK apple charger already in their house and they're only like £5 on eBay.My mum bought a iPad 2 from the states a year or so back they were £400 here and she got it for $499 and tax was like $31 i think. Still saved like £70.Yeah cheap electronic items aren't worht it as you'll only save £10 odd but the more expensive things you want the better it will be to buy from the US.

Yer but who wants a shiny new iPad and a cheap knock off charger from eBay? - Rather pay a little bit more and have the real McCoy.
Washing machine!
petrol

... but they call it gas
Would be worthwhile checking if any expensive electrical items have worldwide guarantees
OK thanks for all the tips, am leaving 5am in the morning and so excited! Will be doing a vlog on my stuff at NY on my youtube channel - if your interested in watching, my link is on my profile
century 21 great ny fashion outlet
You could bring me back some zombie dice if you like?

$10 there, £15 here
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions