Expired

What should I look for if I want a silent keyboard ? Heavy typing is driving us to distraction. Thanks...

Found 9th Mar
So I'm not sure if I can eliminate this problem ( noisy typing , not my husband who is doing the noisy typing , although........) At the moment my husband is working from home quite a lot , I had no idea that he types with such vengeance , it literally echoes around the house .

So in order to maintain a semblance of peace I'm looking at the options of buying a quieter keyboard . Maybe with some noise reducing foam underneath , but there are so many to choose from which claim to be silent . As a large part of the issue is literally how hard my husband hits the keys , does anyone who has a supposedly silent keyboard know if it will make any difference ?

I have to to get a new one anyway as he has managed to delete the letters from half of it with his over zealous behaviour , and although I touch type most of the time it's not ideal. For work reasons the new keyboard needs to be wired and I guess I was looking at around £30 to get a cheap one , but will spend more if I thought it would be worthwhile .
Thanks everyone in advance
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
silicone keyboard?
although a pain in the ***** to use but whatever you're not using it
Edited by moderator: "Edited out swearing" 9th Mar
Original Poster
bingebunny36 m ago

silicone keyboard?although a pain in the ***** to use but whatever you're …silicone keyboard?although a pain in the ***** to use but whatever you're not using it

I can't really buy something that makes it harder for him to use , much as I'd like the quiet , I'm not that mean . Some of his work is quite stressful , so I don't want to make it worse , in all my years of working I've just never known anyone make so much.noise with a keyboard .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 9th Mar
What make/model keyboard is he currently using?

If it happens to be a mechanical keyboard with so called 'blue switches' those make a ton of noise when typing.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 9th Mar
Original Poster
SUMMONER14 m ago

What make/model keyboard is he currently using?If it happens to be a …What make/model keyboard is he currently using?If it happens to be a mechanical keyboard with so called 'blue switches' those make a ton of noise when typing.

It's just the keyboard that came with the PC , a HP one , model PR1101U
tinkerbellian23 m ago

I can't really buy something that makes it harder for him to use , much as …I can't really buy something that makes it harder for him to use , much as I'd like the quiet , I'm not that mean . Some of his work is quite stressful , so I don't want to make it worse , in all my years of working I've just never known anyone make so mum noise with a keyboard .

nawww
too kind.

My keyboard is really noisy and I'm quite a fast typer so I make a hell of a noise I don't care though ;];]
I find my laptop keyboard a lot quieter than my desktop keyboard though, all the buttons are sort of connected? I find the closer the keys are to the board, the less noise they make.

amazon.co.uk/Jel…rch

I'm no expert though.. sorry
It's not really possible to have a silent keyboard, because, at their heart, they're mechanical products with parts which are pressed and propelled to and from their positions. Your best bet for a quiet keyboard is to get him to go down to PC World to try out their keyboards, where he'll hopefully find one which is reasonably quiet.

Beyond that, it's a good idea to acoustically docouple the keyboard from the desk (which will basically act like the soundboard of a guitar and amplify the noise) with something which can absorb its vibrations and impact noises. An oversize mousemat can help accomplish this.
Original Poster
bingebunny4 m ago

nawwwtoo kind.My keyboard is really noisy and I'm quite a fast typer so I …nawwwtoo kind.My keyboard is really noisy and I'm quite a fast typer so I make a hell of a noise I don't care though ;];]I find my laptop keyboard a lot quieter than my desktop keyboard though, all the buttons are sort of connected? I find the closer the keys are to the board, the less noise they make.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jelly-Comb-MK09-Wireless-Whisper-quiet-Blue-Black/dp/B01FAH2W3K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520615261&sr=8-3&keywords=quiet+keyboards&dpID=41ZvQ0hO15L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srchI'm no expert though.. sorry

No problem , I'm after any advice I can get before I buy something that makes no difference ! We don't have a laptop that's compatible with his work requirements , so it has to be the PC unfortunately .
Original Poster
dxx10 m ago

It's not really possible to have a silent keyboard, because, at their …It's not really possible to have a silent keyboard, because, at their heart, they're mechanical products with parts which are pressed and propelled to and from their positions. Your best bet for a quiet keyboard is to get him to go down to PC World to try out their keyboards, where he'll hopefully find one which is reasonably quiet. Beyond that, it's a good idea to acoustically docouple the keyboard from the desk (which will basically act like the soundboard of a guitar and amplify the noise) with something which can absorb its vibrations and impact noises. An oversize mousemat can help accomplish this.

I thought there was a fair chance this was the case , although I asked about silent keyboards I didn't think there was much chance of the current levels going to nothing , but reducing them would be a start ! if we could reduce the sound to just the level of the house he's working on , I'd consider it a win . I think I might try some acoustic foam between the keyboard and desk to start with. I have another spare keyboard , but it sounds exactly the same when he uses it
tinkerbellian15 m ago

It's just the keyboard that came with the PC , a HP one , model PR1101U

That is a standard rubber dome keyboard and should not be particular noisy.

You can buy the laptop style keyboards for desktop PCs as well.

e.g. Dell KB216 USB Keyboard - Black

I would suggest following DXX's advice and going in-store to try a few different ones in person.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 9th Mar
Original Poster
SUMMONER6 m ago

That is a standard rubber dome keyboard and should not be particular …That is a standard rubber dome keyboard and should not be particular noisy.You can buy the laptop style keyboard for desktop PCs as well. e.g. Dell KB216 USB Keyboard - BlackI would suggest following DXX's advice and going in-store to try a few different ones in person.

Not sure that I could get him to replicate his aggressive typing methods in PC World without us getting chucked out ! Think I will try and muffle the noise with an acoustic mat first and see if that helps, especially if you think our keyboard isn't a particularly noisy one . I've always found it fine, but then when you are using it yourself I don't think you notice the noise so much . Thanks
odd that he manages to thumb the keyboards to such an extent that you can hear echoes around the house! lol.

i have used many keyboards over the years and some are more noisy than others. i tend to thumb the keyboards when i am in a bad mood rather than when i am stressed and i only thumb the keyboards at work as i know that i will get a new one if i break my one

i find keyboards that are springy will make less noise and i hate getting these ones at work as it means i can't vent my frustration when i am in a bad mood as i can't hear myself type. so try out the keyboards where the keys are springy and see if they are quieter for you.
tinkerbellian3 h, 23 m ago

Not sure that I could get him to replicate his aggressive typing methods …Not sure that I could get him to replicate his aggressive typing methods in PC World without us getting chucked out ! Think I will try and muffle the noise with an acoustic mat first and see if that helps, especially if you think our keyboard isn't a particularly noisy one . I've always found it fine, but then when you are using it yourself I don't think you notice the noise so much . Thanks

Go on eBay type in ultra quiet keyboard.. there is loads
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts26 m ago

https://www.quiethomelab.com/best-quiet-keyboards/

Thanks , many of these are wireless which won't work for our needs, but I'll work through the others at the weekend and see what the reviews are like
tinkerbellian2 m ago

Thanks , many of these are wireless which won't work for our needs, but …Thanks , many of these are wireless which won't work for our needs, but I'll work through the others at the weekend and see what the reviews are like

Yeah don't like wireless myself, the Logitech,Amazon and Razor ones in that link are all wired.
Original Poster
Splice5 m ago

Go on eBay type in ultra quiet keyboard.. there is loads

That's exactly why I was asking if they are any good , it's not that they are hard to find , but I wanted to know people's experiences with them and if they make much of a different to noise levels . Or indeed in this case if acoustic layering would be a better way to go .
tinkerbellian21 m ago

That's exactly why I was asking if they are any good , it's not that they …That's exactly why I was asking if they are any good , it's not that they are hard to find , but I wanted to know people's experiences with them and if they make much of a different to noise levels . Or indeed in this case if acoustic layering would be a better way to go .

Yeah maybe try it on Amazon then as there is always reviews under each product , if unhappy can always send it back
Edited by: "_Enzo_" 9th Mar
You can look into something called O rings. Their small rubber bands that you place under the keys to help dampen the noise.

I had to buy some for my friend as his girlfriend hated the noise he made (no idea why I was the one buying it for him...).

rover.ebay.com/rov…391

You can get a bag of 120+ for 99p out of China on eBay. But you will be looking at 10-40 days shipping time.
Original Poster
kos1c2 h, 10 m ago

You can look into something called O rings. Their small rubber bands that …You can look into something called O rings. Their small rubber bands that you place under the keys to help dampen the noise. I had to buy some for my friend as his girlfriend hated the noise he made (no idea why I was the one buying it for him...). https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162479766391You can get a bag of 120+ for 99p out of China on eBay. But you will be looking at 10-40 days shipping time.

That looks promising , I had no idea such a thing existed . So I assume I can just flip the keys off and place one under each , nothing more technical than that ? Thank you
tinkerbellian10 m ago

That looks promising , I had no idea such a thing existed . So I assume I …That looks promising , I had no idea such a thing existed . So I assume I can just flip the keys off and place one under each , nothing more technical than that ? Thank you

He told me it had helped a bit, but not fully removed the noise, but he is a very aggressive keyboard user.
Original Poster
Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in future, problem solved with a draper noise absorbing / dampening mat .
amazon.co.uk/gp/…mat

About £13.50 from Amazon , silence resumed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants