What Sim cards will work in an EE locked phone?!

Found 13th Feb 2016
Morning all,

I'm about to purchase an EE locked phone, when I realised that EE sim only deals are a fortune!!

I know that you can use Orange and T-Mobile, but I wonder if anyone knows you can use one of the cheaper ones?

Like GiffGaff works in o2 phones for example.

Help would be much appreciated!
Community Updates
38 Comments
Life Mobile via USwitch is a good option - owned directly by EE

EliTom
Original Poster
elitom

Life Mobile via USwitch is a good option - owned directly by EEEliTom

They got an awful lot of stick on here mate, have you used them personally?
Surely it would be worth paying a few quid to get it unlocked?
JusticeForThe96

They got an awful lot of stick on here mate, have you used them … They got an awful lot of stick on here mate, have you used them personally?

are you not thinking of iD mobile?

Life Mobile get good reviews IIRC

EliTom
Original Poster
Python

Surely it would be worth paying a few quid to get it unlocked?

If it was possible yeah, but it's a new iPhone 6s Plus so they won't unlock for 6 months.

Unless you know another way?
Original Poster
elitom

are you not thinking of iD mobile?Life Mobile get good reviews IIRCEliTom

Actually, yes I am hahaha

They're offering 6gb data, unlimited calls/texts, £14.95, which seems good to me.

I'm paying a quid more for the same with Three.
Why would you get a new phone then change networks? You do know if you bump it they block it whatever network you're on. BT uses EE and own them now and offer really good GB but it's a contract usually so you don't want to end up with two unless you have given the other away. Also talk talk I think but they only decent if you have a home phone too.
Okay read it wrong. Hides.
JusticeForThe96

Actually, yes I am hahahaThey're offering 6gb data, unlimited … Actually, yes I am hahahaThey're offering 6gb data, unlimited calls/texts, £14.95, which seems good to me.I'm paying a quid more for the same with Three.

just be aware that Life is still on 3G but I have it in an email from LM that 4G is coming soon so maybe worth locking in now at the current rates

Our O2 via mobiles.co.uk are comiung to an end and O2 4G/3G coverage is poor so seriously looking at the £6 1GB LM deal via uswitch

EliTom
Original Poster
elitom

just be aware that Life is still on 3G but I have it in an email from LM … just be aware that Life is still on 3G but I have it in an email from LM that 4G is coming soon so maybe worth locking in now at the current ratesOur O2 via mobiles.co.uk are comiung to an end and O2 4G/3G coverage is poor so seriously looking at the £6 1GB LM deal via uswitchEliTom

That's excellent advice mate, thank you.

The 1gb deal wouldn't be enough, but the 4G thing isn't a deal breaker, as 4G isn't perfect in my office and usually flips in between the two (taking longer in the process!)

I'm gonna go for it, cheers.
Original Poster
NickyOhMG

Why would you get a new phone then change networks? You do know if you … Why would you get a new phone then change networks? You do know if you bump it they block it whatever network you're on. BT uses EE and own them now and offer really good GB but it's a contract usually so you don't want to end up with two unless you have given the other away. Also talk talk I think but they only decent if you have a home phone too.

Three have finally removed me from the old OnePlan, that's the reason I wanted to change networks, and I've got a steal on an iPhone 6s Plus which is on the EE Network, so while I would have naturally chosen giffgaff (who's £12 deal is pretty sweet) it isn't possible.
JusticeForThe96

Three have finally removed me from the old OnePlan, that's the reason I … Three have finally removed me from the old OnePlan, that's the reason I wanted to change networks, and I've got a steal on an iPhone 6s Plus which is on the EE Network, so while I would have naturally chosen giffgaff (who's £12 deal is pretty sweet) it isn't possible.

beware now with giffgaff - their data speeds is getting very poor these days - low priority on the O2 network - many posts oh here how slow data is now on GG

EliTom
Original Poster
elitom

beware now with giffgaff - their data speeds is getting very poor these … beware now with giffgaff - their data speeds is getting very poor these days - low priority on the O2 network - many posts oh here how slow data is now on GGEliTom

The same won't happen with Life/EE then? oO
JusticeForThe96

The same won't happen with Life/EE then? oO

who knows?

but with one month rolling you can vote with your feet ...

LM is owned by EE

GG is owned by O2

but EE have more frequencies / better 3G distribtion than O2

this is why I prefer rolling one month deals - if prices rise too much or service deteriorates then I can jump quickly

if Three did Feel at Home in Germany then that would be a no brainer for me - but I am sick of no data on the motorway network with O2 so will give EE a shot (with LM)

EliTom
Original Poster
elitom

who knows?but with one month rolling you can vote with your feet ...LM is … who knows?but with one month rolling you can vote with your feet ...LM is owned by EEGG is owned by O2 but EE have more frequencies / better 3G distribtion than O2 this is why I prefer rolling one month deals - if prices rise too much or service deteriorates then I can jump quicklyif Three did Feel at Home in Germany then that would be a no brainer for me - but I am sick of no data on the motorway network with O2 so will give EE a shot (with LM)EliTom

Fair play.

Cheers for the chat mate.
JusticeForThe96

If it was possible yeah, but it's a new iPhone 6s Plus so they won't … If it was possible yeah, but it's a new iPhone 6s Plus so they won't unlock for 6 months.Unless you know another way?

​Ahh maybe not then :-(
You can only unlock a EE phone by filling out an online form from EE. You have to have had the phone for at least 6 months. There is no other way of unlocking it and no other sim will work. This is through very recent experience that ended with me buying another phone and getting a sim only contract, the new phone housing both my sims and the phone is redundant in a drawer
do I phones not lock to first network of sim installed? so take to apple tell them there is intermittent fault and u have done software rest still there and they replace... install ur new sim and it will lock to that network? worth a try?
Original Poster
justanothercid

do I phones not lock to first network of sim installed? so take to apple … do I phones not lock to first network of sim installed? so take to apple tell them there is intermittent fault and u have done software rest still there and they replace... install ur new sim and it will lock to that network? worth a try?

Phones from providers (even from Carphone Warehouse or Mobiles Direct etc) come with the carrier settings applied already, so don't lock to whatever sim goes in first.

You'd need to be very lucky with Apple, unlikely they would just replace it simple as that!
Edited by: "JusticeForThe96" 13th Feb 2016
Google life mobile uswitch deal
Original Poster
Aidy1974

You can only unlock a EE phone by filling out an online form from EE. You … You can only unlock a EE phone by filling out an online form from EE. You have to have had the phone for at least 6 months. There is no other way of unlocking it and no other sim will work. This is through very recent experience that ended with me buying another phone and getting a sim only contract, the new phone housing both my sims and the phone is redundant in a drawer

I'm aware of the 6 months thing, but provided I use one of EE's fellow network companies it won't need unlocking.
Original Poster
bibu

Yeah got it, cheers mate
bibu

or use this link to get uswith price direct from Life Mobile

lifemobile.co.uk/Bas…/89 ....... don't click but use cut and paste

EliTom
Original Poster
elitom

or use this link to get uswith price direct from Life Mobile … or use this link to get uswith price direct from Life Mobile https://lifemobile.co.uk/Basket/SimChoice/89 ....... don't click but use cut and pasteEliTom

Thank god you posted that link....

http://i.imgur.com/HDfw6RK.jpg

Back to the drawing board I think!
Edited by: "JusticeForThe96" 13th Feb 2016
JusticeForThe96

Thank god you posted that link....Back to the drawing board I think!

but you will have the same results from any EE network - the Life Mobile coverage checker will be the same as the EE one

maybe best bet is to get an EE sim card from the likes of poundland and stick the min top up on it and do some real life tests

or if you know someone local to you who has EE already

EliTom
Original Poster
elitom

but you will have the same results from any EE network - the Life Mobile … but you will have the same results from any EE network - the Life Mobile coverage checker will be the same as the EE one maybe best bet is to get an EE sim card from the likes of poundland and stick the min top up on it and do some real life tests or if you know someone local to you who has EE alreadyEliTom

Checked EE as well. Similar story.

Will have to avoid them entirely.

I'm on Three and my missus has o2 (both fine), EE is out and as a result so is my bargain iPhone 6s Plus!

Cheers anyway guys!
JusticeForThe96

Checked EE as well. Similar story.Will have to avoid them entirely.I'm on … Checked EE as well. Similar story.Will have to avoid them entirely.I'm on Three and my missus has o2 (both fine), EE is out and as a result so is my bargain iPhone 6s Plus!Cheers anyway guys!

Why not give them a try by picking up a free SIM from either EE or one of its MVNOs?

If Three works for you then EE should too - thanks to the MBNL network sharing arrangement they have in place. They share each other's 3G networks in (most) places, but not each other's 4G networks.

The following major MVNOs will work in an EE locked device:

BT Mobile
The Co-operative Mobile
Post Office Mobile
Virgin Mobile
Orange
T-Mobile
The People's Operator
ASDA Mobile
LIFE Mobile
Original Poster
preecey

Why not give them a try by picking up a free SIM from either EE or one of … Why not give them a try by picking up a free SIM from either EE or one of its MVNOs?If Three works for you then EE should too - thanks to the MBNL network sharing arrangement they have in place. They share each other's 3G networks in (most) places, but not each other's 4G networks. The following major MVNOs will work in an EE locked device:BT MobileThe Co-operative MobilePost Office MobileVirgin MobileOrangeT-MobileThe People's OperatorASDA MobileLIFE Mobile

Excellent list mate, I appreciate it, but with EE struggling they all will too.
justanothercid

do I phones not lock to first network of sim installed? so take to apple … do I phones not lock to first network of sim installed? so take to apple tell them there is intermittent fault and u have done software rest still there and they replace... install ur new sim and it will lock to that network? worth a try?

If you do that you'll never be able to unlock it, since Three etc can't unlock a phone that wasn't provisioned for them originally. When Apple exchange them it provisions them as an 'Orange' phone (no idea why). This is different to Carphone Warehouse stock, which is not specifically provisioned to a carrier. I ran into this problem myself when I had an EE iPhone 6 exchanged, immediately put a Three SIM in (which worked on Three). It then locked the phone to Three, who sent an error message back, saying the phone was not unlockable by them. I tried my wife's Three account too with no success. In the end I managed to get EE to unlock it even though it didn't work with an EE sim. Go figure!
JusticeForThe96

Excellent list mate, I appreciate it, but with EE struggling they all … Excellent list mate, I appreciate it, but with EE struggling they all will too.

Is it just signal for phone calls and SMS that's the priority then you can use wifi calling with EE.
Original Poster
misterleoni

Is it just signal for phone calls and SMS that's the priority then you … Is it just signal for phone calls and SMS that's the priority then you can use wifi calling with EE.

I prefer my phone to function in the event my wifi is down though
Does that happen often? Can't remember the last time my wifi went down!
Original Poster
misterleoni

Does that happen often? Can't remember the last time my wifi went down!

I'm with Sky and it's went down twice in three years.

However, that's not the actual problem.

Anyone picking a provider has has insufficient signal at home/work would be an idiot.
JusticeForThe96

I'm with Sky and it's went down twice in three years.However, that's not … I'm with Sky and it's went down twice in three years.However, that's not the actual problem.Anyone picking a provider has has insufficient signal at home/work would be an idiot.

Not now. Not if they have wifi. My sister only has decent O2 in her street but doesn't like O2 - I don't either. She uses EE wifi calling now, having endured poor signal at home for years. She doesn't seem to have any issues. I don't just use my phone at home - I have to think of my work city and the long commute, which is decent with EE. When I'm home I use wifi calling even though I don't strictly need to. Seems to give me better quality calls.

Either way, if that's not an option for you you'll just have to sell the iPhone, or try your luck doing the PAYG unlock method
Original Poster
misterleoni

Not now. Not if they have wifi. My sister only has decent O2 in her … Not now. Not if they have wifi. My sister only has decent O2 in her street but doesn't like O2 - I don't either. She uses EE wifi calling now, having endured poor signal at home for years. She doesn't seem to have any issues. I don't just use my phone at home - I have to think of my work city and the long commute, which is decent with EE. When I'm home I use wifi calling even though I don't strictly need to. Seems to give me better quality calls. Either way, if that's not an option for you you'll just have to sell the iPhone, or try your luck doing the PAYG unlock method

Understand where you're coming from, but I'd prefer to have a natural signal all the time!

What's this PAYG method you speak of?!
purchased a Life sim and can tell you that is does not work in EE locked phone.
if I have a EE sim card would it work in a three mobile phone no problem
Original Poster
tuners

if I have a EE sim card would it work in a three mobile phone no problem

No it wouldn't mate, different carriers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants