What site always give you cheapest car insurance?

Posted 26th Apr
So I have gathered over the years the site that gives you the cheapeast amount is always dependent on your currently type of cover

IE, Age, Area, Car amount, Expierence.

Guessing because certain companies are keen for certain demographics and the one that is keen for yours may not be on that x comparisment site that others say is best for them.

Curious to hear out who's people find always the best.

I've tried comparemeerkat, consuded, mustart and all rack up the same with £399, but the one i've used for the last 3 years now is TOPCASHBACK, they give me £390 with £30 cashback... I am doubtful i can find bettter. It is always typically the same company for me ''hastings direct'' but always cheaper going through this then direct

I've ound typically there offer me £20 more and give me worse conditions (excess) so I always go through TCP each year
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
Go compare usually cheapest of comparison websites for me. Never been through Cashback websites before. I always think the more you compare the more credit searches you’ll have, so the later searches are usually more. Don’t know if that’s true though.
joxeruk200026/04/2020 10:13

Go compare usually cheapest of comparison websites for me. Never been …Go compare usually cheapest of comparison websites for me. Never been through Cashback websites before. I always think the more you compare the more credit searches you’ll have, so the later searches are usually more. Don’t know if that’s true though.

most likely.. also closer to start date puts up prices
deleted622739
We use Quotemehappy in fact we've stayed with them for the past 6 years because every year the renewal price decreases.
Aviva is a winner for me...every year my renewal is cheaper than year before and no other company or comparison site can ever beat it so far(y)
deleted62273926/04/2020 10:26

We use Quotemehappy in fact we've stayed with them for the past 6 years …We use Quotemehappy in fact we've stayed with them for the past 6 years because every year the renewal price decreases.

You are lucky there are never been anywhere near the best price for us.

Op look on MSE they have the full list of comparison sites to run. Just depends for the individual this year confused were cheapest for one of our cars last week.

MSE also has advice about changing your occupation slightly and also dont forget to add an extra driver.
Moneysupermarket for me... I won't use those not on a comparison site as If they won't compete openly then I see no reason to search them specifically
Go compare for me.
I usually phone up my insurance provider and ask them to price match. It takes a couple of tries though.
I'd like to add a note of caution here regarding comparison websites.

They ask you various questions and then supply the answers to various insurance companies, however, the phrasing of the questions asked or the selection of drop downs provided won't match exactly the insurance companies requirements (some will be an approximation).

Thus, if you take the insurance directly through the comparison site you may well be taking out insurance having provided the insurance company false or misleading or otherwise incorrect information and as a result may have trouble in the event of a claim.

The most likely issue to cause problems is probably occupation, but I am sure there are many others.
Hastings Direct is a good company, until you need to make a claim - then you'll find out why people say "cheap isn't always best".
Mich8ll826/04/2020 10:33

Aviva is a winner for me...every year my renewal is cheaper than year …Aviva is a winner for me...every year my renewal is cheaper than year before and no other company or comparison site can ever beat it so far(y)

I’ve been with General Accident for nearly two years. Think they are run by Aviva. They gave me £20 off for renewing through app and I think it was best quote I had.
cis_groupie26/04/2020 11:15

Hastings Direct is a good company, until you need to make a claim - then …Hastings Direct is a good company, until you need to make a claim - then you'll find out why people say "cheap isn't always best".

I've made a claim via Hastings Direct, Pretty straight forward for me. However I only required my car repairing. They didn't need to do any assessments etc.
cis_groupie26/04/2020 11:15

Hastings Direct is a good company, until you need to make a claim - then …Hastings Direct is a good company, until you need to make a claim - then you'll find out why people say "cheap isn't always best".

I'm leaving them, I had to change my address a few weeks ago.... They charged me £20 which was fine I suppose and my premium went down because I'm in a "nicer" area... Got my renewal today and its gone up 25% , I won't even let them offer me the chance to get it lower, they are done as far as I'm concerned
.MUFC.26/04/2020 11:20

I've made a claim via Hastings Direct, Pretty straight forward for me. …I've made a claim via Hastings Direct, Pretty straight forward for me. However I only required my car repairing. They didn't need to do any assessments etc.

I was in an accident (not my fault). Took over an hour to get through every time I had to phone HD to give details/get an update. Courtesy car (that was included in my policy) didn't turn up - HD said that they wouldn't give me one until after liability for the accident had been agreed by both parties! I eventually managed to sort one out but it took 2 days. Other party didn't report the accident to his insurance company, and HD told me they couldn't do anything with my claim until he had reported it. Then, when my car had been repaired, HD then told me that I had to pay for the repairs myself as the other driver still hadn't reported the accident to his insurer. Fortunately I had legal cover, so handed it over to solicitors to sort out.

As with all companies, there will be some good stories & some horror stories. I've been insured through lots of companies, and had to make several claims - I've never had a problem, except with HD. HD let me down at every single stage of the claim process. Like I said, "cheap isn't always best".
I have always got a better price from those that aren't on comparison sites like direct line/aviva.
joxeruk200026/04/2020 11:16

I’ve been with General Accident for nearly two years. Think they are run b …I’ve been with General Accident for nearly two years. Think they are run by Aviva. They gave me £20 off for renewing through app and I think it was best quote I had.

Yeah...I’m sure they are part of the aviva group....they even take into consideration the amount of years you have had a provisional license before gaining drivers license which knocks even more of the policy price(y)
There's no one size fits all otherwise everyone would use it. Unfortunately it is the yearly trawl to get the best price. Although I was surprised to find that the AXA renewal price was the best for for wife this and last year.
For the last four years we've accepted our direct line renewal price (multiple cars) as it has been the cheapest. When you call them they've always given a decent discount on the renewal price aswell.
cis_groupie26/04/2020 11:35

I was in an accident (not my fault). Took over an hour to get through …I was in an accident (not my fault). Took over an hour to get through every time I had to phone HD to give details/get an update. Courtesy car (that was included in my policy) didn't turn up - HD said that they wouldn't give me one until after liability for the accident had been agreed by both parties! I eventually managed to sort one out but it took 2 days. Other party didn't report the accident to his insurance company, and HD told me they couldn't do anything with my claim until he had reported it. Then, when my car had been repaired, HD then told me that I had to pay for the repairs myself as the other driver still hadn't reported the accident to his insurer. Fortunately I had legal cover, so handed it over to solicitors to sort out.As with all companies, there will be some good stories & some horror stories. I've been insured through lots of companies, and had to make several claims - I've never had a problem, except with HD. HD let me down at every single stage of the claim process. Like I said, "cheap isn't always best".

See, i cant fault hastings direct. I was reversed into, damage wasn’t too bad few but the other party were very arsey. Car on finance so wanted it repaired. Contacted hastings, i had a courtesy car dropped off at my work via auxillis and my car picked up taken to garage. Other party adimitted liability. Wouldnt have been bothered if they denied it. Was on dashcam but didnt tell them that. I didnt have to pay an excess or a single penny out my own pocket. Their inurance did drag it on a while but they paid up. I do have a non fault claim on my file but my remewal went down.
Quote me happy were good for me but, 3rd year price doubled with no changes made.
Hasting direct were good until I changed cars from a Vectra hatchback to a Vectra estate mid policy
£30 to change and £135 I think it was added to premium.

Last April I went with Bymiles, You pay to insure your car fully comp with protected bonus and hire car etc all included.
Then you fit a black box to your OBD2 port and it tracks your miles. You then pay for the miles at the end of each month
Like a mobile contract.
First year was £170.00 and 3.2p a mile. ( London Postcode )
This year was £215.00 and 4.5p a mile. ( London Postcode )
After complaing it went up they gave legal cover for free this year.
If you get a referral to join you get £50.00 of free miles and so does the person who referred you.
They are picky on who and what cars they take but if it wont give you a price ring and ask why.
They looked into why I could not get a quote and it was because the OBD2 tracker would stop my glovebox closing.
The sent out a sort of scart cable to extend range and then insured my car.
The price would have to tripple for me to leave as best quote this year was over £720.00
Even if I do 3000 miles again this year I will only pay £350.00 max for the year.
cis_groupie26/04/2020 11:35

I was in an accident (not my fault). Took over an hour to get through …I was in an accident (not my fault). Took over an hour to get through every time I had to phone HD to give details/get an update. Courtesy car (that was included in my policy) didn't turn up - HD said that they wouldn't give me one until after liability for the accident had been agreed by both parties! I eventually managed to sort one out but it took 2 days. Other party didn't report the accident to his insurance company, and HD told me they couldn't do anything with my claim until he had reported it. Then, when my car had been repaired, HD then told me that I had to pay for the repairs myself as the other driver still hadn't reported the accident to his insurer. Fortunately I had legal cover, so handed it over to solicitors to sort out.As with all companies, there will be some good stories & some horror stories. I've been insured through lots of companies, and had to make several claims - I've never had a problem, except with HD. HD let me down at every single stage of the claim process. Like I said, "cheap isn't always best".

Fair enough, The other driver didn't report it to his insurance in my case either. Hence it took them 3 months to decide in my favour. They wrote to the third party and each time they had to give them so long to respond which they never did. I initially had to pay my excess or repair cost, Whichever was cheapest, That's standard procedure, which was returned once liability was dealt with etc.. Although I had video evidence and they were clearly at fault. I also contacted there insurance, Sent them my evidence and they also paid me my excess back So was £450 to the good and bizarrely my next premium was £2 cheaper declaring the incident than not declaring it. They were the cheapest on comparison sites for either quote hence may have been different for other insurers etc.

Autoglass body repairs repaired my car and initially it looked good but 3 months later the paint started shrinking or something, Fortunately it's lifetime warranty, Had it redone but now the colour is slightly off. Doesn't bother me though as I'll have it corrected before I come to sell it in the future etc.

I recall I was on hold for 20+ minutes each time but that's pretty normal in my experience.

Pleased I didn't need a courtesy car etc, I did regularly phone them for updates.

Obviously you'll get good and bad experiences, Mine was good yours was bad.
Don’t always go for cheapest look at what their customer services are rated at
Admiral for me. Always cheapest, always price match the best quote online and even sent me £25 this week as they’re having less claims to sharing the benefits with drivers.
donny126626/04/2020 12:31

Admiral for me. Always cheapest, always price match the best quote online …Admiral for me. Always cheapest, always price match the best quote online and even sent me £25 this week as they’re having less claims to sharing the benefits with drivers.

When someone crashed in to me they went above and beyond to show the other person was at fault so i never had to appear at court, they got me a better like for like hire car delivered to my home address and didn’t argue about value of the write off. Simple brand new vehicle from my local bmw.
We use Quotemehappy in fact we've stayed with them for the past 6 years. Y
Edited by: "Vinh_Nguyenj84" 26th Apr
Back in the day comparison sites were the same quote as direct. You could then hop over to Quido / TCB and do it yourself.
Nowadays each comparison site often returns differing quotes , which are in turn all different to the direct quote. They know what they are doing to maximise the chance of you going through them.

In the end I used confused.com (IIRC) as the cheapest for me. Theoretically I could be £8 better off with cashback assuming it went through, but pay more up front (but who would do that).
smashed26/04/2020 13:21

Back in the day comparison sites were the same quote as direct. You could …Back in the day comparison sites were the same quote as direct. You could then hop over to Quido / TCB and do it yourself.Nowadays each comparison site often returns differing quotes , which are in turn all different to the direct quote. They know what they are doing to maximise the chance of you going through them.In the end I used confused.com (IIRC) as the cheapest for me. Theoretically I could be £8 better off with cashback assuming it went through, but pay more up front (but who would do that).

Cashback always comes through in expierence

Bigger outlay yes but happy to get some of the commissions that comparsiments site otherwise take a huge chunk
smashed26/04/2020 13:21

Back in the day comparison sites were the same quote as direct. You could …Back in the day comparison sites were the same quote as direct. You could then hop over to Quido / TCB and do it yourself.Nowadays each comparison site often returns differing quotes , which are in turn all different to the direct quote. They know what they are doing to maximise the chance of you going through them.In the end I used confused.com (IIRC) as the cheapest for me. Theoretically I could be £8 better off with cashback assuming it went through, but pay more up front (but who would do that).

I save some money in a separate bank account to pay for mine and the wife’s insurance in one go. So I at least don’t have to pay extra.
Edited by: "joxeruk2000" 26th Apr
nopartylikeansclubparty26/04/2020 10:40

... I won't use those not on a comparison site as If they won't compete …... I won't use those not on a comparison site as If they won't compete openly then I see no reason to search them specifically

Some companies not on comp sites may be cheaper as they don't have to pay commission to the comparison site(s) and/or their own marketing is more productive in targetting its preferred demographic. Reasonable reasons.
AndyRoyd26/04/2020 14:49

Some companies not on comp sites may be cheaper as they don't have to pay …Some companies not on comp sites may be cheaper as they don't have to pay commission to the comparison site(s) and/or their own marketing is more productive in targetting its preferred demographic. Reasonable reasons.

Totally understable and they won't get my money if they aren't willing to put themselves in direct comparison, it makes very very very little difference for me to go to perhaps 10 different insurance companies to try and save about £10 if anything as I've usually found direct line and aviva to be quite more expensive compared to a comparison site.
nopartylikeansclubparty26/04/2020 16:24

Totally understable and they won't get my money if they aren't willing to …Totally understable and they won't get my money if they aren't willing to put themselves in direct comparison, it makes very very very little difference for me to go to perhaps 10 different insurance companies to try and save about £10 if anything as I've usually found direct line and aviva to be quite more expensive compared to a comparison site.

I always get a quote from Direct Line as well as all the others, then I remember why I don't use them. They are always at least twice as expensive as other places. I have no idea how they get any customers.
Satan_Claws26/04/2020 16:37

...I have no idea how they get any customers.

Because other customers will be better-aligned with DLs preferred demographic.
nopartylikeansclubparty26/04/2020 16:24

Totally understable and they won't get my money if they aren't willing to …Totally understable and they won't get my money if they aren't willing to put themselves in direct comparison, it makes very very very little difference for me to go to perhaps 10 different insurance companies to try and save about £10 if anything as I've usually found direct line and aviva to be quite more expensive compared to a comparison site.

Anyone who says this I challenge them to send me all the details they gave and I will find cheaper elsewhere :P this demographics they look for must be fairy's... or just folk who renew regardless as they think 8 years no claims paying £500 on a 1 litre car is good considering they started paying £1300 when they was 18 8 years ago :P
Direct line was the cheapest for me. It definitely depends on the vehicle as well as age.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions