What size ball cock do I need.

Posted 21st SepEdited by:"kramvic"
3297827.jpgJust called at my dad's and he has a leak from the toilet cistern. Just been and got a new unit but the nut fitting is wrong size, blue 1 is what I've bought and the white 1 is what was on already. It says vaf 13000 on it. Anybody know which would be the correct fitting please? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Also the nut and bolt to the right, what purpose does it serve? It's in the way when trying to change unit over. 38516254-JBiBa.jpg
half of thumb
Have you got a full pic of the old one? How does it connect to the incoming water supply? I'd suspect that you've plit the old one and left the bottom of it in the cistern
and I think the nut bolt are just to stop the thing vibrating against the side.
The nut and bolt on the right, is to support the plastic supply tube against the upward force of the float closing the valve.

Looks to me like two of the hex ends want cutting off as it is too long, and the nut that's not doing anything could probably use moving to the other side.

I'd remove and replace the whole fitting including the plastic supply tube and get a modern quiet, quick fill valve.
Edited by: "melted" 21st Sep
mas9921/09/2019 18:10

Have you got a full pic of the old one? How does it connect to the …Have you got a full pic of the old one? How does it connect to the incoming water supply? I'd suspect that you've plit the old one and left the bottom of it in the cistern

38517147-SUlJd.jpgthanks for the reply, this is the most I got of the fixings. I'm back home now. Incoming water supply is at the base of the cistern to the right hand side, yes I split it just at the large nut and thought they were a standard size. Are there just 2 sizes? If so I could just go for the other.
melted21/09/2019 19:23

The nut and bolt on the right, is to support the plastic supply tube …The nut and bolt on the right, is to support the plastic supply tube against the upward force of the float closing the valve.Looks to me like two of the hex ends want cutting off as it is too long, and the nut that's not doing anything could probably use moving to the other side.I'd remove and replace the whole fitting including the plastic supply tube and get a modern quiet, quick fill valve.

Thanks, yes thought about trimming them down to allow better access. Going back next weekend so will have another look.
kramvic21/09/2019 19:51

Thanks, yes thought about trimming them down to allow better access. Going …Thanks, yes thought about trimming them down to allow better access. Going back next weekend so will have another look.

I doubt you'll find parts for your existing fitting.

Buy a new bottom entry fill valve, and unbolt the old one from underneath the cistern.

The modern valves use water pressure to close them and only need a tiny float.
38517262-rOgeQ.jpg
melted21/09/2019 20:09

I doubt you'll find parts for your existing fitting.Buy a new bottom entry …I doubt you'll find parts for your existing fitting.Buy a new bottom entry fill valve, and unbolt the old one from underneath the cistern.The modern valves use water pressure to close them and only need a tiny float.[Image]

That's great melted, will take a look.
I agree with @melted
Turn off the water, drain that pipe down.
Remember don't over-tighten plastic fittings.
Turn off the water & clean out all the accumulated grot from that cistern
clean all the grot, dry it out especially where fitting the new unit. (so the seal will seat better & not leak)
make sure you have some thread sealing PTFE tape at hand (about 67p) to help first time seating.
Cheers Mr Gus, sounds like the best idea.
I bought a modern valve as @melted suggested, it was easy to fit once I struggled to get the old one out, but the cistern fills quicker now and seems quieter too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants