Groups

What size telly should I get?

Hi all

I will be in the market for a new telly soon. The viewing positions (settees) are 12ft and 7ft away from the TV position. What would be the ideal size for this distance?

Looking at probably getting a Samsung or Panny Plasma/LCD

Thanks all

22 Comments

42" Would be ideal if you watch a lot of HD or movies, up to 52" would be reasonable as well.

At only 7ft away I would say upto 37"

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4313501

At only 7ft away I would say upto 37"

We've got a 47" in the main room and we sit about 6ft away. Its a perfect size for HD. Plus you have to remember that the TV appears much smaller when you get used to it.

It depends what you prefer really.

I think there's guidance somewhere that says you should sit two and a half times the size of your screen away from it, but no-ones gonna come into your home and spank you if you go for a bigger screen than that

get a wide viewing angle. these usually come as standard with the more expensive tvs, not the cheapy makes.

Jo3l;4313512

We've got a 47" in the main room and we sit about 6ft away. Its a perfect … We've got a 47" in the main room and we sit about 6ft away. Its a perfect size for HD. Plus you have to remember that the TV appears much smaller when you get used to it.

Do you wear glasses by any chance ? :whistling:

kyalion;4313586

Do you wear glasses by any chance ? :whistling:

lol no :-D

Just want that authentic home cinema feel haha

I have a 32" in my bedroom, I sit about 3ft from it :O

Jo3l;4313599

lol no :-DJust want that authentic home cinema feel haha:O

Get a projector then!:p

Jo3l;4313599

lol no :-DJust want that authentic home cinema feel hahaI have a 32" in … lol no :-DJust want that authentic home cinema feel hahaI have a 32" in my bedroom, I sit about 3ft from it :O

I like to have a big tv too. It helps me "escape into" whatever it is I'm watching.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4313611

Get a projector then!:p

Got one, We save it for the UFC or Boxing.

ClarityofMind;4313613

I like to have a big tv too. It helps me "escape into" whatever it is I'm … I like to have a big tv too. It helps me "escape into" whatever it is I'm watching.

Exactly!

I've got 40" in my bedroom at uni, I'm only about 4ft away from it but it doesn't seem too big.

37 to 42" would be Ideal

probably 42" if you are mostly 12 foot away

and dont bother with full HD if your not going to be sitting up close as you wont tell the difference

oh and get a panny plasma but Im biased

janz70;4313731

37 to 42" would be Ideal probably 42" if you are mostly 12 foot awayand … 37 to 42" would be Ideal probably 42" if you are mostly 12 foot awayand dont bother with full HD if your not going to be sitting up close as you wont tell the differenceoh and get a panay plasma but Im biased

Rubbish! With sizes like 42" you WILL see the difference of full HD when watching things that were recorded in HD. Its also more futureproof.

Original Poster

Im thinking 42" or 46". There is quite a decent Panny Plasma 42 for £799 I may go for.

Foxy102;4313791

Im thinking 42" or 46". There is quite a decent Panny Plasma 42 for £799 … Im thinking 42" or 46". There is quite a decent Panny Plasma 42 for £799 I may go for.

Wise decision. Just remember, dont get caught up with names.

You may have your heart set on a panny but the comparable sony may be the better screen etc etc ;-)

If you get a 37" I'll g'tee within the week you'll wish you had got a 42".

This is what you are after -

reevoo.com/rev…x80

Get's great reviews.

Banned

Jo3l;4313837

Wise decision. Just remember, dont get caught up with names. You may have … Wise decision. Just remember, dont get caught up with names. You may have your heart set on a panny but the comparable sony may be the better screen etc etc ;-)

never in a million years lcd poss plasma no way

fragaliciousbob;4313968

never in a million years lcd poss plasma no way

Was just using the name as an example.

And for the record, I prefer my LCD to the Plasma.

Bigred01;4313872

If you get a 37" I'll g'tee within the week you'll wish you had got a 42".

Absolutely! Everytime we buy a new telly, I wish I'd got summin larger.

Thinking back 20yrs ago we only had a black and white lil portable TV lol

Jo3l;4313760

Rubbish! With sizes like 42" you WILL see the difference of full HD when … Rubbish! With sizes like 42" you WILL see the difference of full HD when watching things that were recorded in HD. Its also more futureproof.

He is right, you will se a big difference. I have a 42" SONY BRAVIA with a Sky HD box and it is amazing.

Jonny_K;4313644

I've got 40" in my bedroom at uni, I'm only about 4ft away from it but it … I've got 40" in my bedroom at uni, I'm only about 4ft away from it but it doesn't seem too big.

You sit 4 foot away from a 40" TV, watch out for radiation poisoning lol!

I have a 26" and i sit about12 feet away, it's only in the bedroom so don't need to get silly on the size

42" will be just about perfect.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2647
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2125
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846284
      4. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1010

See more discussions