Which smartphone should I buy? What does it do and how?

EDITOR 119
Refreshed 25th Dec 2019 (Posted 11th Dec 2019)
Recently, one of my best friends approached me with a question: "Which smartphone should I buy?" Well, we spent around 2 hours just to see what we had on the market and what the differences were. Wow, as you probably already know it is really easy to get lost in details and as he said it was like building up your PC.

So, I decided to have a little summary (cannot be little ) and have a look at the main parts, that parts which could make a phone outstanding from the crowd. I'm not planning to get into every single component, I would rather focus on the most important differences between devices.

In the last 6 months all the main manufacturers started to focus on cameras and we see more and more lenses in a smartphone; wide angle, telephoto, macro, etc... I think nowadays the weakest part of a phone is the battery and this could be the reason why manufacturers focus a lot on charging process.

Before we go into the hardware field, I would like to mention how important the software and the engineering part. In order to have a great system you do need to have a great harmony between the physical parts and the written programs. I will come back to this point later on.

I would focus on these:

3360874.jpg
Usually, when we look for our next phone we consider the screen’s resolution, colors, PPI (Pixels Per Inch). The latest wave is on the Hertz at the moment. Standard is around 60Hz and we have 90Hz and even 120Hz display refresh rate on the market.This number tells you how many times it refreshes the screen in a second. If the number is higher you will feel the phone is snappier the scrolling is smoother and browsing experience is better. High refresh rate in monitors, TVs has been out in the market for ages however, it has just been implemented into smartphones recently.
We mainly have the IPS panels in entry level and mid-range phones and OLED panels in mid-range and top range phones. When we talk about the two completely different display technology, it is always better to compare them and you can see the differences:
3360874.jpg
3360874.jpg3360874.jpg

3360874.jpg
This is the brain of the smartphone. More and more processors, radios are integrated into the SOC.
Entry level, mid-range and flagship level. When we have a look on the specs the first thing to do is to find out where the phone belongs to. Is that an entry level phone or mid-range? Is that a mid-range SOC on a higher price level? 2019 is the year when the speed of innovation and technology is just insane. For instance, the chipset: Qualcomm SDM845 - Snapdragon 845 was introduced to the market in the year of 2018. Qualcomm used to come out with a new chipset every year. This year they announced S855 also S855 plus and we already can see prototype with S865 within the same year.
Some of the entry level SOC are: Mediatek MT8389, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 , Intel Atom Z540
Some of the mid-range SOC are: Snapdragon 675, Huawei’s Kirin 970,Samsung Exynos 7885
Some of the top level SOC are: Apple A12 Bionic, Samsung Exynos 9820, Huawei Kirin 980, Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 plus
The GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) responsible for 3D modeling and integrated into the SOC. If your main purpose is playing game on a phone then this is the part of the phone where you need to focus. At the moment Apple's A13 and A12 Bionic’s GPU are rated as the fastest followed by the Adreno 640/630 what you can find in a Snapdragon 855 or 845 SOC by Qualcomm. Mali- G76 is also a strong player in this field and it can be found in SOC Kirin 990 made by Huawei or SOC Exynos 9820 by Samsung.
If you wouldn't like to spend too much money on a smartphone but you would like to have better gaming experience just check the GPU in the phone.

3360874.jpg
My preferred way was always to have optical image stabilization built into the device. This helps a lot to make clear not blurry photos especially, in low light condition. If you would like to make great photos easily, I would go for a phone with OIS. (EIS is much better than before but still not as efficient as the OIS) Also, it can be a great help on videos.

3360874.jpg
When we talk about storage and RAM I believe this is the point when so many people are confused and they don't know what it is and why it is so important. Let me try to explain it in a simple way. If we need a fast and snappy smartphone the best processor won't be enough. The processor needs data to work with and because generally the storage is way slower than the RAM the RAM will hold all the information what the CPU needs at the time. The more RAM you have the more data can be in "stand by" position. Once you open the application on your phone all the application's data goes from storage into RAM and makes the loading time faster, much faster. You open one more app and does the same thing. If you go back to the previous application it will be fast to load because most likely that is still in RAM. Now, when all the RAM is allocated and you need to open another app that would be the time when the phone needs to get to the storage and load the app into RAM, This is the point when you could see your phone is becoming a bit slower. The more RAM you have the more app you can run simultaneously. From around 2016 the 4GB of RAM became the standard. In the year of 2019, we can see smartphone with 12GB RAM as well. My phone has 6GB at the moment and I think this is sufficiently enough for most of us in these years.

Just to get you closer here is some example how much RAM an app could use:
YouTube (standard app): ~ 230Mb
Maps/Gmail app : ~500Mb
Instagram/Facebook (social media app) : ~700Mb
Chrome (browser with 3 tabs) : ~ 900 Mb
PUBG (one of the most popular game) : ~1200Mb

So, when you buy a phone think about apps you will use and how much RAM they might need to have.

3360874.jpg
This is the actual space where you will keep your personal files - videos/pictures/apps...This is the overall storage so the operating system will take place here as well (a few GB). Minimum recommended storage is 16GB. The second type of storage is external storage in a most likely form of Micro SD card. Not every phone supports this and if they do it is recommended to double check if the SD card slot is independent or a combo slot with the secondary SIM card. Keep in mind that the external storage is a lot slower than the internal. Internal storage type can be UFS (Universal Flash Storage) 2.0/2.1/3.0 , increased writing and reading speed for faster data access.

3360874.jpg
Ideally, we would like to use our phones at least for a day without charging it. Usually, this is not the case and we do need to hunt for a power source. Depending on the system you use the battery management can help a lot if it is good. This is another point to go for a company which has proved that they are good at optimizing the battery (the hardware - software harmony). If you have OLED screen in your phone that will help you to survive the day on a single charge as it consumes much less energy than the IPS screen. Whenever you need to charge your phone I suppose you would like to do it quickly,right? So, I would consider the possibility of quick charge as well and I'd check if the phone supports any fast charging standards or not. Some of the fast charging standards are: Qualcomm Quickcharge (QC 4+ is the latest), Huawei Super charge, Oneplus Dash Charging, Samsung adaptive fast charge, USB power delivery (USB PD)... Every brand offers some kind of fast charge possibility but their phones need to support that too. If the phone doesn't support then you cannot have this advantage. A bit more about fast charging technologies can be found here!

3360874.jpg
When we talk about OS in smartphones, we have two main systems: The Apple closed IOS which is created by Apple for Apple devices exclusively and Android OS based on Android Open Source Project with Google. Most of the smartphones apart from iPhone uses Android. You can see completely different user interface on an android phone depending on the manufacturer. When people refer to "stock Android” usually what they mean is an android phone from Google- Pixel Phone - as their user interface is the cleanest and also the base of any other android device on the market. Just like the Android One program. Other manufacturers like Xiaomi, Samsung, Sony, etc... use custom "skin" over that android system. This is why the system looks different however it is almost the same under the hood. A very well optimised system could make a device fly. This is important when we consider to buy a phone. It is also true when we have a look at the opposite side. Even if you had the best possible hardware the system couldn't reach its best and when this happens, we would just end up with a low score on a benchmark meaning our phone is not as good as it could be.
A major concern is the updates too! Worth to check the manufactures regarding to this question. There are plenty security patches and OS updates in a year and if "your manufacturer" doesn't really invest enough into the software department - meaning they don't push updates frequently - your phone could easily become vulnerable to viruses or hackers. The system could be outdated and if the OS had a bug it could be a long wait until that is fixed.

So many times, we can see “global phone” or “Chinese phone” when we buy a smartphone. Sellers are willing to advertise phones as "global phones" when they actually have Chinese hardware with global software. In this case, these phones won't support band 20 (a frequency used for 4G
network in UK and Europe) so this could be an issue. If the network provider operates 4G on band 20 you won’t be able to use their 4G network with that phone. A good website to check frequencies - frequencycheck.com/

I hope this can be useful for those who feel a bit lost and could also help if you are planning to buy a great phone for someone as a present.
Community Updates
Megathread

Groups

Top comments
@sisqoboy2

can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @MrSwitch in this post.

Follow Switchy for the best phone deals around folks.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 13th Dec 2019
You don't need to spend a huge amount to get a competent phone. My Ding Ding X9 was only £44 from Amazon warehouse and a £20 micro sd card took it up to 280GB storage and its got 3GB memory, fingerprint sensor, 4G, 1080p screen, quad core 64bit processors and a competent although not amazing Mali GPU. Very pleased with the amazing display quality. The camera is 13MP I believe although you wouldn't know it as the phone slightly interpolates this up to 16MP.

The built in launcher was a bit rubbish so have started using the Google launcher.

I would say typically £60 is the bare minimum for a decent spec phone normally and up to £200 can deliver absolutely fantastic performance. Beyond £200 I really don't see the point myself with very marginal gains. Obviously some people will always want the very best phones but for those who like to get good value you really don't need to spend that much. iphones with restricted storage seem exceptionally bad value to me with people constantly struggling for space. My phone has a huge range of apps, gps maps, mp3s, movies and space for a huge number of images and videos. Seems to play all the latest games too although graphic options are sometimes at mid to low level. I probably have a choice of about 40 movies on the phone, and a 100 or so tv series episodes as well as 1000s of music files and podcasts.

Choose wisely and you might get a decent phone for lets say £80, keep it a couple of years and still be able to sell it for £40-50 meaning the phone has actually only cost you £15 per year.
Respect for taking the time to help others
myusernamehasgone23413/12/2019 18:01

@sisqoboy2 can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @ …@sisqoboy2 can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @MrSwitch in this post. Follow Switchy for the best phone deals around folks.

… and I didn't even write 📝 anything about the GPU.
I AM SORRY! I know! Will make it better and better!
@MrSwitch apologies! it's my fault! How you doin'?
119 Comments
Refresh rate is per second, not minute.
Bobbajob13/12/2019 13:27

Refresh rate is per second, not minute.

Oh, yes of course! Cheers! Fixed that.
Respect for taking the time to help others
You don't need to spend a huge amount to get a competent phone. My Ding Ding X9 was only £44 from Amazon warehouse and a £20 micro sd card took it up to 280GB storage and its got 3GB memory, fingerprint sensor, 4G, 1080p screen, quad core 64bit processors and a competent although not amazing Mali GPU. Very pleased with the amazing display quality. The camera is 13MP I believe although you wouldn't know it as the phone slightly interpolates this up to 16MP.

The built in launcher was a bit rubbish so have started using the Google launcher.

I would say typically £60 is the bare minimum for a decent spec phone normally and up to £200 can deliver absolutely fantastic performance. Beyond £200 I really don't see the point myself with very marginal gains. Obviously some people will always want the very best phones but for those who like to get good value you really don't need to spend that much. iphones with restricted storage seem exceptionally bad value to me with people constantly struggling for space. My phone has a huge range of apps, gps maps, mp3s, movies and space for a huge number of images and videos. Seems to play all the latest games too although graphic options are sometimes at mid to low level. I probably have a choice of about 40 movies on the phone, and a 100 or so tv series episodes as well as 1000s of music files and podcasts.

Choose wisely and you might get a decent phone for lets say £80, keep it a couple of years and still be able to sell it for £40-50 meaning the phone has actually only cost you £15 per year.
bonzobanana13/12/2019 17:10

You don't need to spend a huge amount to get a competent phone. My Ding …You don't need to spend a huge amount to get a competent phone. My Ding Ding X9 was only £44 from Amazon warehouse and a £20 micro sd card took it up to 280GB storage and its got 3GB memory, fingerprint sensor, 4G, 1080p screen, quad core 64bit processors and a competent although not amazing Mali GPU. Very pleased with the amazing display quality. The camera is 13MP I believe although you wouldn't know it as the phone slightly interpolates this up to 16MP.The built in launcher was a bit rubbish so have started using the Google launcher. I would say typically £60 is the bare minimum for a decent spec phone normally and up to £200 can deliver absolutely fantastic performance. Beyond £200 I really don't see the point myself with very marginal gains. Obviously some people will always want the very best phones but for those who like to get good value you really don't need to spend that much. iphones with restricted storage seem exceptionally bad value to me with people constantly struggling for space. My phone has a huge range of apps, gps maps, mp3s, movies and space for a huge number of images and videos. Seems to play all the latest games too although graphic options are sometimes at mid to low level. I probably have a choice of about 40 movies on the phone, and a 100 or so tv series episodes as well as 1000s of music files and podcasts. Choose wisely and you might get a decent phone for lets say £80, keep it a couple of years and still be able to sell it for £40-50 meaning the phone has actually only cost you £15 per year.

Totally agree. I just look like this: when someone spend ~ a thousand for a smartphone. I usually spend around £300 but I always need the latest snappy dragon 🐉 so S865 you will see me veery soooon!!!
@sisqoboy2

can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @MrSwitch in this post.

Follow Switchy for the best phone deals around folks.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 13th Dec 2019

@sisqoboy can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @M …@sisqoboy can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @MrSwitch in this post. Follow Switchy for the best phone deals around folks.

Editors are all the same MUNHG

@sisqoboy2 can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @ …@sisqoboy2 can’t believe you neglected to mention the HUKD’s phone legend @MrSwitch in this post. Follow Switchy for the best phone deals around folks.

… and I didn't even write 📝 anything about the GPU.
I AM SORRY! I know! Will make it better and better!
@MrSwitch apologies! it's my fault! How you doin'?
sisqoboy213/12/2019 18:19

… and I didn't even write 📝 anything about the GPU. I AM SORRY! I k …… and I didn't even write 📝 anything about the GPU. I AM SORRY! I know! Will make it better and better! @MrSwitch apologies! it's my fault! How you doin'?

I'm good mate! You well?
Never better. I always knew that Friday the 13th is special for me!
Edited by: "sisqoboy2" 13th Dec 2019
If someone would like to find the best value for the money I would definitely look around HERE where you can find some amazing specs/price combo. Those are the Xiaomi phones from China. Other brand what I regularly check is Lenovo. They had brilliant value in the past and also recently with the Lenovo Z5 pro GT. Also, the Oppo brand is coming up rapidly to the Global market in the name of Realme - worth to keep an eye on them too.
My gals just bought a Realme 5 and to be honest, if I hadn't already got the Note 6 Pro on the way I'd have one myself. Battery life is on another level running dual sim and WiFi all day. Performance is rock solid. Well worth a look!
Very useful post for the community.
In addition to your contribution, I'd suggest people to have a look at batteryuniversity.com/ and to install play.google.com/sto…ery
as first app on their android phones.
Just don't ask me why I post this at 3.44am
Depends on what you really want out of your smartphone. I personally am a loyal Apple follower so I would probably go for an older brand e.g. my current Iphone is Iphone 6s. The new features on Iphone x are not worth the added costs imo
johndewinton060418/12/2019 13:17

Depends on what you really want out of your smartphone. I personally am a …Depends on what you really want out of your smartphone. I personally am a loyal Apple follower so I would probably go for an older brand e.g. my current Iphone is Iphone 6s. The new features on Iphone x are not worth the added costs imo

This is not the first time I hear this from people. It is a shame that Apple constantly fails in encouraging people to get their new products…
Wow! what an awesome post
Really useful post. Thank you
italondonistaavataurino18/12/2019 03:44

Very useful post for the community.In addition to your contribution, I'd …Very useful post for the community.In addition to your contribution, I'd suggest people to have a look at https://batteryuniversity.com/ and to install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubatteryas first app on their android phones.Just don't ask me why I post this at 3.44am

Thanks for adding more to the thread. What I use as battery management app is this: play.google.com/sto…bbm

I will have a look on your recommendation and see the differences.
Great guide
Excellent guide for anyone starting off and not sure which phone to go for. Need to see more examples of these posts on this site.

Good work leading the way with these types of Mobile Phone posts mate.
Might be worth adding stuff about GPU, unless I've missed it
Good post and really good way of explainjng things. So if someone is looking to buy a phone what order do they prioritise the features in?

Namely if I was looking it would be power of cpu, then internal memory, then battery power and screen size.

The above is just mine and they can go in any order depending on your preference of "best phone" and how you intent to use. Price will also be another good criteria but if you ranked them then draw a line at you budget you get an answer.
Edited by: "kzlbfx" 24th Dec 2019
You missed one of the main cons of an oled screen... The pentile subpixel arrangement which means that a 1080p oled looks more like a 720p RGB LCD display. That's really the main negative with oled screens in phones. OLEDs are also only really more power efficient when displaying dark or black colours, but when displaying white (which is most of the internet, for example) are actually much more power hungry. Another pro of oled is the much superior motion handling due to faster pixel response times.
A useful set of info, but a couple of things were omitted that do have an impact on my purchasing decisions. The first is the horrendous trend in recent years for "display notches" of various shapes and sizes - this seems to have infiltrated every market segment and is now so pervasive that it caused me to skip refreshing my current phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 - notchless!) - yep, the Note 6, 7 and 8 all have notches :-(

The second issue is that of OS update frequency for Android phones. In theory, every supported Android phone should be getting monthly updates because Google releases monthly security updates like clockwork. However, I believe only 2 phone ranges get them in a timely manner - Google's Pixel line and Essential's phone. My Note 5 does get updates, but the security patch level is always at least a month behind and sometimes more. I've been burned by Android phones that never got any updates in the full year I used them - Blu and Umidigi take a bow - so those brands are permanently off my buy list.

Notchlessness/updates apart, all I need is a 1080p display (5.5" or bigger), SD card slot and a price under £200 and I'm happy. Specs for sub-£200 phones are now good enough that I've got to seriously question anyone spending more than that.
Edited by: "rkl" 24th Dec 2019
Thanks for this - really useful post
iPhone SE from music Magpie, good condition costs £80 and mine was pristine with 100% battery life.

This phone gets 15k on antutu

Ive compared it side by side with my Honor View 20 and its faster at opening many apps (including youtube). The screen also looks better, strangely.

The View 20 is a £300 phone! I sold my View and kept the SE

Incredible phone at that price.
Just get an iPhone
you brush over Charging technology way to quickly and id say it make it sound like all fast charging tecnologies are equal. yet not all fast chargers are equal and not only are there many standards each phone has a diffrent maximum.

of the main companies this is the max watts their widly avalable fast charge standard will offer, do note the maximum your phone will allow differs between models. (P30 - 22.5W P30 Pro - 40W)

Oppo: Super VOOC - 50W
VOOC - 25W

OnePlus: WarpCharge - 30W
DashCharge - 20W

Huawei: SuperCharge - 40W

Samsung: Adaptive Fast Charge - 15W

Xioami & Vivo are working on getting 100W+ charging technologies into their phones and im sure many other companies are looking into it
Edited by: "Altirix" 24th Dec 2019
italondonistaavataurino18/12/2019 03:44

Very useful post for the community.In addition to your contribution, I'd …Very useful post for the community.In addition to your contribution, I'd suggest people to have a look at https://batteryuniversity.com/ and to install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubatteryas first app on their android phones.Just don't ask me why I post this at 3.44am

Been using the app you recommended and I am very impressed. The possibility to check the charging volume and speed while the screen off is a huge advantage for me! Thanks again!
39483128-AbnD3.jpg
Edited by: "sisqoboy2" 24th Dec 2019
rkl24/12/2019 10:09

A useful set of info, but a couple of things were omitted that do have an …A useful set of info, but a couple of things were omitted that do have an impact on my purchasing decisions. The first is the horrendous trend in recent years for "display notches" of various shapes and sizes - this seems to have infiltrated every market segment and is now so pervasive that it caused me to skip refreshing my current phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 - notchless!) - yep, the Note 6, 7 and 8 all have notches :-(The second issue is that of OS update frequency for Android phones. In theory, every supported Android phone should be getting monthly updates because Google releases monthly security updates like clockwork. However, I believe only 2 phone ranges get them in a timely manner - Google's Pixel line and Essential's phone. My Note 5 does get updates, but the security patch level is always at least a month behind and sometimes more. I've been burned by Android phones that never got any updates in the full year I used them - Blu and Umidigi take a bow - so those brands are permanently off my buy list.Notchlessness/updates apart, all I need is a 1080p display (5.5" or bigger), SD card slot and a price under £200 and I'm happy. Specs for sub-£200 phones are now good enough that I've got to seriously question anyone spending more than that.

OnePlus also send monthly updates out in a timely fashion.
Level777Boss24/12/2019 10:33

OnePlus also send monthly updates out in a timely fashion.

Usually a month behind though. Best off joining the Open Beta programme and then getting updates a bit ahead - albeit without the 'stability' associated.

Android One devices aren't mentioned here? Raw specifications are only one aspect of the equation. Software arguably matters more. A decent Nokia running Android One will likely give you better day-to-day performance than a comparable mid-range device running a custom Android skin i.e. MIUI, EMUI (although they have improved drastically).

My advice would be to buy last years top-tier devices rather than this years mid-range or budget phones. You get a great experience without having to compromise in every area (software sometimes depending on OEM). As with anything, you very often get what you pay for with a smartphone. Although oddly, cheaper hardware tends to come with extended battery lifespan.

Unless you get a decent second hand device I would never suggest paying less than £100 for a phone you intend to use every single day - see point above.
sisqoboy217/12/2019 17:08

If someone would like to find the best value for the money I would …If someone would like to find the best value for the money I would definitely look around HERE where you can find some amazing specs/price combo. Those are the Xiaomi phones from China. Other brand what I regularly check is Lenovo. They had brilliant value in the past and also recently with the Lenovo Z5 pro GT. Also, the Oppo brand is coming up rapidly to the Global market in the name of Realme - worth to keep an eye on them too.

Thanks for the guide.
Sadly you neglected to mention the most important feature to look for and that is support for os /firmware updates ( in the case of Android anyway).
If you value security and privacy then ensuring regular updates are available is important. This sadly rules out some good manufacturers such as Lenovo or LG who seem to abandon updates as soon as they can.
Someone on hukd posted a link to a/his(?) website that graded manufacturers based on their commitment to and actual delivery of updates.
If anyone saw this website please share again as I can't find it and it was a brilliant resource.
Edited by: "jazid" 24th Dec 2019
I'd probably buy a cheap iPhone XR for IOS and a Google Pixel 3a for Android.
Xiaomi
I think you have too much time on your hands, not many people go to that level of detail when looking for a phone.
I went from a £1100 Iphone Xs max to a £160 Xiaomi Note 7, and I'm very happy with the Xiaomi.
It does everything that the I-phone did that I needed. It's fast, camera has been good so far, but not used it to take proper photos yet (like landscape).
sisqoboy224/12/2019 10:30

Been using the app you recommended and I am very impressed. The …Been using the app you recommended and I am very impressed. The possibility to check the charging volume and speed while the screen off is a huge advantage for me! Thanks again! [Image]

You're more than welcome and Merry Christmas!
rkl24/12/2019 10:09

The second issue is that of OS update frequency for Android phones. In …The second issue is that of OS update frequency for Android phones. In theory, every supported Android phone should be getting monthly updates because Google releases monthly security updates like clockwork. However, I believe only 2 phone ranges get them in a timely manner - Google's Pixel line and Essential's phone. My Note 5 does get updates, but the security patch level is always at least a month behind and sometimes more. I've been burned by Android phones that never got any updates in the full year I used them - Blu and Umidigi take a bow - so those brands are permanently off my buy list.

THIS. I echoed the same comment. This should be one of the most important buying decisions IMO. People do not seem that bothered, yet are happy to bank on their phones...

Sadly its time to say goodbye to LG despite the excellent camera. I've not heard of Essential before so will be looking this up. Does it get a good feedback?
Edited by: "jazid" 24th Dec 2019
sisqoboy213/12/2019 17:51

Totally agree. I just look like this: when someone spend ~ a …Totally agree. I just look like this: when someone spend ~ a thousand for a smartphone. I usually spend around £300 but I always need the latest snappy dragon 🐉 so S865 you will see me veery soooon!!!

I think somewhere around the £200/250 mark is the best maybe £30 at a push: you’re going to need a sim on top so depending on that , you’re in the area of diminishing returns- if you buy carefully and pick your moment it’s possible to get a high end phone with a lot of data for similar price to a grey import midrange plus sim(albeit doing the cash redemption tango). And you don’t have to worry about import duties or warranty
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions