What splitter for system fans on b450 tomahawk max ?

Posted 3rd May
hi ive purchased the case below and 3 of the fans below so i have 6 in total but the b450 tomahawk only has 4 system fan headers and 1 pump fan header. do i need pwm splitter or dc ? also should i put front 3 fans on system fan 1,2,3 then top two exhaust fans on system fan 4 with a splitter and 6th fan ( rear exhaust ) on pump fan header ? will pump fan header just run at the fans max rpm ? hopefully someone can help, thanks
3455683-KmOKR.jpg3455683.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Remove your postcode from your picture if if I was you, too much information showing on a public Forum perhaps?
Other than that I don’t have any answers for you, sorry.
I know it's expensive, but the Commander Pro is the best thing for this. I tried a cheaper Thermaltake one and 2 of may fans always ended up being at max RPM. The Commander Pro lets me set individual profiles for each fan.
wallzone04/05/2020 08:28

Remove your postcode from your picture if if I was you, too much …Remove your postcode from your picture if if I was you, too much information showing on a public Forum perhaps?Other than that I don’t have any answers for you, sorry.

Thanks for that i didnt realise it was on show, ive cropped image
Danze198404/05/2020 08:29

I know it's expensive, but the Commander Pro is the best thing for this. I …I know it's expensive, but the Commander Pro is the best thing for this. I tried a cheaper Thermaltake one and 2 of may fans always ended up being at max RPM. The Commander Pro lets me set individual profiles for each fan.

Not looking to buy anything other than a cheap slitter at the moment, my son only had £700 and we went over by 340 which ive given him so not looking to buy anything else for a while.
Exhaust fans being on max rpm is fine, do you know which splitter id need ? Many thanks
I have 3 SP120 rgb fans in my system with the same motherboard connected to a node pro.
I'd suggest usual 3 pin splitter as the fans aren't pwm anyway so you'll need to set a custom fan curve in the BIOS using dc control.
Edited by: "AcceptedWalnut" 5th May
AcceptedWalnut05/05/2020 09:45

I have 3 SP120 rgb fans in my system with the same motherboard connected …I have 3 SP120 rgb fans in my system with the same motherboard connected to a node pro.I'd suggest usual 3 pin splitter as the fans aren't pwm anyway so you'll need to set a custom fan curve in the BIOS using dc control.

Due to having a impatient son hes already ordered these
40642620-PFbYH.jpgWill these still work just leaving one pin unused ?
If so ill just have to run two off the pump fan and set a custom curve on that with the other exhaust on system 4 header, will this work ? Thanks for the reply. Mark
You should only need 3 fan headers if splitting 6 fans so can avoid using the pump header as I'm unsure how that behaves with a fan connected.
There should be no issue with connecting the 3 pin fans though as you say, they'd just be the pwm pin left unused.

Edit: Also remember to plug the fans into the node in the order they go from front to back and then the sequence lighting effects work perfect
Edited by: "AcceptedWalnut" 5th May
AcceptedWalnut05/05/2020 09:58

You should only need 3 fan headers if splitting 6 fans so can avoid using …You should only need 3 fan headers if splitting 6 fans so can avoid using the pump header as I'm unsure how that behaves with a fan connected.There should be no issue with connecting the 3 pin fans though as you say, they'd just be the pwm pin left unused.Edit: Also remember to plug the fans into the node in the order they go from front to back and then the sequence lighting effects work perfect

Brilliant ill take your advice and put 2 fans on each header, the reason i was avoiding this was because im going to end up with an intake fan and an exhaust fan on a splitter together and they have different max rpm by about 100 rpm if ive read amazon description correctly.
I wasnt sure if this would be an issue and do i set the curve to max rpm of the higher fan or the lower ? Im guessing if i set it to the higher one the other will just stop increasing at its max ? Thanks your really helpful
Edit i knew about the node sequence but thanks
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 5th May
If your motherboard is the exact same as mine (tomahawk max) then the setup I would run is

Front bottom 2 fans on a splitter connected to bottom right header

3rd front and front top fan on a splitter connoted to top right header

Rear top and rear exhaust on a splitter connected to top left header.

Cable management might be a pain mind you.

My custom fan curve never hits max fan speed so I can't help with the difference in rpm speeds but I would imagine like you say, at max voltage on the DC curve, one would run 100rpm faster.
AcceptedWalnut05/05/2020 10:14

If your motherboard is the exact same as mine (tomahawk max) then the …If your motherboard is the exact same as mine (tomahawk max) then the setup I would run isFront bottom 2 fans on a splitter connected to bottom right header3rd front and front top fan on a splitter connoted to top right headerRear top and rear exhaust on a splitter connected to top left header.Cable management might be a pain mind you.My custom fan curve never hits max fan speed so I can't help with the difference in rpm speeds but I would imagine like you say, at max voltage on the DC curve, one would run 100rpm faster.

Great thanks ill give this a go ill let you know how we get on, waiting on amazon to deliver the three fans on thursday
Mark_Hickman05/05/2020 10:22

Great thanks ill give this a go ill let you know how we get on, waiting on …Great thanks ill give this a go ill let you know how we get on, waiting on amazon to deliver the three fans on thursday

Cool, hope it goes well. I'll be running a similar setup albeit in a different case once I've ordered 3 more fans.
AcceptedWalnut05/05/2020 10:27

Cool, hope it goes well. I'll be running a similar setup albeit in a … Cool, hope it goes well. I'll be running a similar setup albeit in a different case once I've ordered 3 more fans.

Im just hoping the gpu is ok, we purchased msi radeon rx5700 mech oc and its not very popular it seems, however on tests ive seen its one of the best performing versions but ive also seen some say it heats up and needs thermal pads replacing and other say its great and cool :/
Mark_Hickman05/05/2020 10:31

Im just hoping the gpu is ok, we purchased msi radeon rx5700 mech oc and …Im just hoping the gpu is ok, we purchased msi radeon rx5700 mech oc and its not very popular it seems, however on tests ive seen its one of the best performing versions but ive also seen some say it heats up and needs thermal pads replacing and other say its great and cool :/

If it's the non xt version you should be fine as most issues I've seen have been the xt version which runs hotter due to increased voltage requirements. Even then a quick undervolt seems to help a lot I've read.

I wouldn't worry about things that probably won't ever be an issue though.

Hope your lad enjoys it 😁
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions