What the hell is going on with the price of fresh greens?

Posted 8th Oct
I decided to cook chicken in a white wine and tarragon sauce with rice and green beans for dinner this evening.

The chicken was £5 a kilo, but the green beans were a whopping £7 a kilo. It seems for most of the year, unless you're willing to stick to brassicas (namely broccoli, sprouts or cabbage) fresh greens are almost prohibitively expensive and sold in tiny quantities. It's the same with fruit.

They used to say that the 'meat' part of your meal should be 20% of the plate at about 80% of the cost. This is virtually impossible today if you want to produce healthy, balance meals comprised mainly of 'above the ground' vegetables, which are lower in carbohydrates.

I want to eat healthily, and I love broccoli, but not every day. I've seen the prices of greens in countries around the world and they are far lower than in the UK. What is causing this, the supermarkets, the wholesalers, the producers, or something else? If the government want us to improve our health, shouldn't they be finding ways to make healthy ingredients more affordable for everyone?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

15 Comments
Preparation for B day.
"and I love broccoli, but not every day", why not? The only vege I eat is Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots.
Mainly because beans are only good when really fresh (supermarket ones aren't the freshest), can't be bothered with peas, other veg either doesn't taste as nice or I just don't like it.
Too late this year, but grow your own.
This wins for most middleclass post of the year.
Brexit and the weak pound, it will get much worse before it gets better.
£5 a kilo cheap chicken lol must be crap unless its thighs.
Edited by: "fearona" 8th Oct
moob08/10/2019 14:11

This wins for most middleclass post of the year.

If only you knew.
Bigfootpete08/10/2019 12:31

"and I love broccoli, but not every day", why not? The only vege I eat is …"and I love broccoli, but not every day", why not? The only vege I eat is Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots. Mainly because beans are only good when really fresh (supermarket ones aren't the freshest), can't be bothered with peas, other veg either doesn't taste as nice or I just don't like it.

The impression I get is that we are expected to eat just potatoes, broccoli and carrots day in, day out. This is not okay.

I'd like to redirect the sarcastic replies to the original question, which is why are most fresh greens so expensive? Surely it's far more costly to produce and transport chicken, pork, beef mince etc and these foods contain more energy, yet plenty of veggies are priced higher per kilo. I was hoping there might be someone out there who has some genuine industry insight. The only factors I can imagine are that fertiliser prices are linked to oil prices and some herbicides have recently been banned. For example, when I researched into why tinned pet meat has risen from £2.50 to £4.50 for six tins in the last five years, I was able to find out the 'official' reason was the cost of energy (sure, right).

Come on, you can do better than just try and take the piss.
89quidyoucantgowrong08/10/2019 20:24

The impression I get is that we are expected to eat just potatoes, …The impression I get is that we are expected to eat just potatoes, broccoli and carrots day in, day out. This is not okay.I'd like to redirect the sarcastic replies to the original question, which is why are most fresh greens so expensive? Surely it's far more costly to produce and transport chicken, pork, beef mince etc and these foods contain more energy, yet plenty of veggies are priced higher per kilo. I was hoping there might be someone out there who has some genuine industry insight. The only factors I can imagine are that fertiliser prices are linked to oil prices and some herbicides have recently been banned. For example, when I researched into why tinned pet meat has risen from £2.50 to £4.50 for six tins in the last five years, I was able to find out the 'official' reason was the cost of energy (sure, right).Come on, you can do better than just try and take the piss.

Why not answer my reply then? . You're clearly shopping in the wrong store
chocci08/10/2019 12:45

dunno where you shop but I just got 500g of leeks for 50p and a …dunno where you shop but I just got 500g of leeks for 50p and a cauliflower for 45p (tesco). I prefer the frozen Tesco Very Fine Whole Green Beans 900G as they are really nice and probably more nutrional than fresh (£1 per KG!).

Spot on about frozen being more nutritious than "fresh" most are frozen so quickly these days. However for taste you cant beat "dirty" carrots with soil still on them, we get them from a farm down the road and they taste amazing after giving them a wash and cooking them, they are the only ones I will also eat raw, it may be a a placebo effect but it seems to keep the flavor locked in. Those and their fresh eggs. Its also a working farm that takes on placements for those less mentally and academically able.
harlzter09/10/2019 12:28

Spot on about frozen being more nutritious than "fresh" most are frozen so …Spot on about frozen being more nutritious than "fresh" most are frozen so quickly these days. However for taste you cant beat "dirty" carrots with soil still on them, we get them from a farm down the road and they taste amazing after giving them a wash and cooking them, they are the only ones I will also eat raw, it may be a a placebo effect but it seems to keep the flavor locked in. Those and their fresh eggs. Its also a working farm that takes on placements for those less mentally and academically able.

Brings back fond memories of nicking my Grandad's carrots from his allotment, quick wash and eat... bit of dirt adds to the crunch
chocci08/10/2019 20:55

Why not answer my reply then? . You're clearly shopping in the wrong store

Your example of frozen very fine green beans is a good one. About £1 a kilo frozen, yet £1.75 for a piffling 180g fresh. I've tried frozen fine beans and after cooking they are either mushy or chewy with seemingly nothing in-between. Admittedly, the ones I tried were Morrison's not Tesco's 'you're special' range. My preference is to cook fine greens beans slightly al-dente with just a bit of bite. The fresh beans invariably have come all the way from Kenya, not sure where the frozen ones were from, but they would have needed processing and to be kept refrigerated continuously. The price difference is staggering.
Nothing to do with Brexit, It's the rapid increase in veganism. Supply and demand
89quidyoucantgowrong09/10/2019 19:17

Your example of frozen very fine green beans is a good one. About £1 a …Your example of frozen very fine green beans is a good one. About £1 a kilo frozen, yet £1.75 for a piffling 180g fresh. I've tried frozen fine beans and after cooking they are either mushy or chewy with seemingly nothing in-between. Admittedly, the ones I tried were Morrison's not Tesco's 'you're special' range. My preference is to cook fine greens beans slightly al-dente with just a bit of bite. The fresh beans invariably have come all the way from Kenya, not sure where the frozen ones were from, but they would have needed processing and to be kept refrigerated continuously. The price difference is staggering.

Frozen ones dont have a limited shelf life like fresh. Taste perfect when steam cooked. Same for cauliflower and broccoli (£1 per kg). Frozen Carrots just don't work though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants