Expired

What to do about ebay seller

19 replies
Found 8th Dec 2014
I had bought a laptop charger from an ebay seller and it became faulty towards the end of the 12 months seller's guarantee.

I messaged him via ebay as he is still selling these chargers on there to ask how I could claim under the guarantee and he asked me to send the faulty charger back to him and he will send out a new one to me.

I messaged him 2 weeks ago to say that I had sent the faulty charger back and he said that he will send out the new charger to me the next day.

2 weeks later I still have not received it and he keeps saying he has sent it but doesn't confirm when it was sent even though I had asked this question several times.

Today he asks if I had sent him the faulty charger and I confirmed that it had been delivered 1.5 weeks ago to him with a receipt signature.

What should I do next?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments

What should I do next?

Tell eBay not us.

After 11 months the guarantee is with the manufacturer -not the seller - unless otherwise stated.

Agree with that. The seller shouldn't really be taking it back after that long.

Original Poster

Graham1979

What should I do next?Tell eBay not us.

whether i should raise an ebay dispute or is it too soon to do so?

Banned

mutley1

whether i should raise an ebay dispute or is it too soon to do so?

You will not be able or allowed to raise a dispute.. You have had the item for 11 months..

Original Poster

rogparki

After 11 months the guarantee is with the manufacturer -not the seller - … After 11 months the guarantee is with the manufacturer -not the seller - unless otherwise stated.

the item is listed with 1 year guarantee from seller which is why i had asked him about the claim otherwise i would have just thrown it in the bin. he asked me to send the faulty charger back to him so he has taken on responsibility and incurred me additional cost of posting the faulty item back to him.

Original Poster

candlewaxman

You will not be able or allowed to raise a dispute.. You have had the … You will not be able or allowed to raise a dispute.. You have had the item for 11 months..

even if it was listed with 1 year guarantee from the seller?

Banned

mutley1

even if it was listed with 1 year guarantee from the seller?

Yep, after 60 days I am pretty sure Ebay will no longer assist regardless.

candlewaxman

Yep, after 60 days I am pretty sure Ebay will no longer assist regardless.

eBay has a 30 day buyer protection and Paypal 45 days.

Original Poster

so sounds like any seller guarantee is worthless on ebay as there is no resolution procedure.

if you bought from a shop you can take it back to the shop and complain to customer service or the owner but if you bought it off ebay you can't do this.

i assume i can't even leave bad feedback on the seller on ebay?

Ebay can't help you and the time to leave negative feedback has passed. The best you can do is harrass them on the phone, send them emails to their real address, send LBAs, etc. Depends how much time you want to put into it. You might be better off just buying a new one and forgetting the issue.

You could also 'report the item' and say the guarantee is made up, but it probably won't do any good.

Original Poster

drspa44

Ebay can't help you and the time to leave negative feedback has passed. … Ebay can't help you and the time to leave negative feedback has passed. The best you can do is harrass them on the phone, send them emails to their real address, send LBAs, etc. Depends how much time you want to put into it. You might be better off just buying a new one and forgetting the issue.You could also 'report the item' and say the guarantee is made up, but it probably won't do any good.

yes, i saw the report option on ebay so i will do this if i don't get any other option.

i think the reason the seller was so keen to deal with the guarantee is that even though it states it is a genuine toshiba laptop charger, it looks like a fake copy which is why it has broken down so quickly.

i personally think that he wants me to send him the faulty charger then blame it on being lost in the post so i claim under compensation and the whole thing is sorted. except i sent it with a request for his signature on receipt which i have so he won't be able to lead down this route.

If he's listed as a business seller then you should be covered, However Ebay are a law to themselves.

Buy another from them, Then request to return it, Say it's faulty, Send him a brick in a box.

Or if he's claiming it's genuine and it's clearly not you could buy another, Get Toshiba to verify that it's fake. You can't send fakes via post so you'll be asked to destroy it and be refunded by ebay/paypal.

Either method leave him negative feedback.

Edited by: ".MUFC." 8th Dec 2014

Should have just bought a new one and returned the old one as faulty for a refund.

Obviously can't do that now, but something to do for next time.

Original Poster

teh arn

Should have just bought a new one and returned the old one as faulty for … Should have just bought a new one and returned the old one as faulty for a refund.Obviously can't do that now, but something to do for next time.

good idea. i will do this next time before spending any money sending items back.

except would i be guaranteed to get a refund? the seller could send out a replacement then i would end up with 2 chargers, one of which is not needed.

mutley1

good idea. i will do this next time before spending any money sending … good idea. i will do this next time before spending any money sending items back.except would i be guaranteed to get a refund? the seller could send out a replacement then i would end up with 2 chargers, one of which is not needed.

You can request a refund rather than a replacement, so you should be ok.

Original Poster

shauneco

If he's listed as a business seller then you should be covered, However … If he's listed as a business seller then you should be covered, However Ebay are a law to themselves.Buy another from them, Then request to return it, Say it's faulty, Send him a brick in a box. Or if he's claiming it's genuine and it's clearly not you could buy another, Get Toshiba to verify that it's fake. You can't send fakes via post so you'll be asked to destroy it and be refunded by ebay/paypal.Either method leave him negative feedback.

I took a photo of the fault, the electric cable burnt through with faulty electrics, which supports even more that it is a fake.

In addition I took a photo of the serial number of the product so I can send this to Toshiba customer service to claim under the 12 months manufacturer's guarantee and ask that they check the serial number against their database to see if it is one of their products. Not sure if manufacturers keep a record of all the serial numbers of their products.

However, I am certain that Toshiba will want to get involved if there is an ebay long standing seller blatantly selling fake products claiming it to be genuine Toshiba products and giving out fake warranties.

outside the time limit for
ebay feedback
eBay complaint
paypal claim
knowing this, it sounds like the seller is fobbing you off

if the seller gives a personal warranty, they are expected to stand by it, however sometimes it's not worth the paper it's written on. they often hope people won't use it, and even if people try, they can often dodge it without consequence. few are willing to take it further e.g. small claims court. technically the seller could even say that the guarantee wasn't given at the time of sale, and unless you have the actual auction saved (and not a re-listing), you can't produce the evidence.
toshiba may or may not be interested, similar to trading standards.

Original Poster

DennisG

outside the time limit forebay feedbackeBay complaintpaypal claimknowing … outside the time limit forebay feedbackeBay complaintpaypal claimknowing this, it sounds like the seller is fobbing you offif the seller gives a personal warranty, they are expected to stand by it, however sometimes it's not worth the paper it's written on. they often hope people won't use it, and even if people try, they can often dodge it without consequence. few are willing to take it further e.g. small claims court. technically the seller could even say that the guarantee wasn't given at the time of sale, and unless you have the actual auction saved (and not a re-listing), you can't produce the evidence.toshiba may or may not be interested, similar to trading standards.

yes, i think he knows that there is not much that i can do. however i have a message history from him on ebay to state that he has sent out a new one so that in itself constitute a promise/liability. i have never dealt with ebay so do not know how good or bad customer service is. any good customer service would agree with me from the message history.

in addition he asked for the faulty charger to be sent back to him at my own cost so again creating a liability charge.

if he was going to fob me off then he should have just ignored the guarantee enquiry rather than cause the buyer who already lost money to lose more by sending back the charger to him at their own cost when he intended never to send out a new charger so he must have an ulterior motive to get the faulty charger back.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition69770
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54
    4. Win 1 of 30 Gin Festival, Eastbourne Pairs of Tickets (Value £30 per pair)11

See more discussions