What to do and not to do in rome? (tourist spots)

Found 12th Mar
I'm 21 and to be honest museums of art and such do not really interest me, In open to go to some if people would think someone my age would enjoy them, but looking for British people's or opinions of things that are good and things that are overrated
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
We went last year and went around a couple of museums, MAXXI Museum, The National Roman museum and the best Capuchin Crypt. Wouldn't recommend the MAXXI, as we found it quite boring (contemporary art and architecture) However i would recommend the Capuchin crypt really interesting if a little gruesome. tripadvisor.co.uk/Att…tml

I'm in my early 30's and overall enjoyed going to museums but then it's something we had planned to do as part of our trip.

I would say also that all the attractions Colosseum, Trevi fountain ect are always very busy so try to make a plan of which places you would like to visit, Also pre-book if you can.
When in Rome, do as the Romans.
123thisisme46 m ago

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

What have the Romans ever done for us?
What not to do: Give beggers (scammers) any money. They are notorious for scamming people by posing as homeless/crippled.
We were in Rome for the England 6 Nations match. We stayed 3 nights and I have to say it was awesome. Every single corner you turned round there was another piece of ancient history. We didn't set foot in a museum. Instead we did the major tourist spots and then extended from there. The food/drink is fabulous. We walked for hours.

If you like sport, particularly football then you may want to time your visit for a Roma football match. The stadium is pretty immense, not quite Twickenham but certainly worthy of a visit.
What no to do in Rome...........do not forget the way out......one day of paying the rip off prices will have you running for the airport..
loved Rome when I went last year. visit all the usual sites. the waiting times aren't that bad for the sites. the longest wait is the collesium, don't fall for people trying to sell you fast track entrance. didn't find it that expensive same as central London prices. you could give the ruins a miss...cant remember what they're called but close to the collesium. if you not into art don't bother with the Vatican unless you really want to see it. enjoy your trip
The Colosseum is an awesome piece of architecture, although you don't need to go in to appreciate it.

There's not that much extra you can see inside that would impress you any more than viewing from the outside.

That's about all I can recommend if you don't like museums or Churches.
We had a great time at Vatican. The art is fantastic with surprises at every corner, one minute a Picasso and the next a sculpture by a bloke from Northampton. There is some funny massive feet, babies strangling swans and men with their tackle out. Ignore all the personal guides etc and book cheap tickets on the Vatican website, we booked basic entry and it is easy to get into all the extra basilicas and towers and stuff, the guards just wave you through.
I did nothing except eat and drink. Worked my way round the eateries, eating copious amount of pasta in various sauces and drinking endless limoncelli and martini. Best time ever.
Vatican is amazing as is St Peters. Prebook, arrive at 9am and walk past all the queues. We were the third people to enter

Get a Roma Pass as this gets you into 2 places free. Rome is fantastic and we found it surprisingly cheap.

33430375-vNkHk.jpg33430375-IGzAP.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Mar
Borghese Gardens are huge, lots of cafes dotted around and a great art gallery (you may need to book). Best way to get around them is to hire a buggy or segway, take your driving licence. At the bottom of the gardens is Paizza del Popolo, concerts are held there during the summer and there was a quirky Leonardo di Vinci exhibition with scaled working models of his inventions tucked away in one corner of the Piazza. The hop on hop off bus tours were fun and you do see lots, but we found the recorded commentary didn't always follow the route the bus actually took!!.
Does anyone know if my nus will count as a student card in the attractions?
PenguinsForAll12th Mar

What not to do: Give beggers (scammers) any money. They are notorious for …What not to do: Give beggers (scammers) any money. They are notorious for scamming people by posing as homeless/crippled.

What to do: pose as a homeless beggar to offset your holiday costs.
Pretend you're Robert Langdon.
Be prepared for lots of litter. Like, piles and piles of it.. And you thought Birmingham was bad..
BadMF11 h, 44 m ago

Be prepared for lots of litter. Like, piles and piles of it.. And you …Be prepared for lots of litter. Like, piles and piles of it.. And you thought Birmingham was bad..

When did you last go? I went in May and it was very clean
chocci52 m ago

When did you last go? I went in May and it was very clean

Three weeks ago.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants