What to do refund car insurance.

Found 14th May
Hi all,

Just want some advice, basically took out car insurance middle of last month and cancelled it next day as I found it cheaper a couple of hours later. They said they would refund and it would take 8 days, fast forward to today and I still don't have a refund, basically rang them everyday and been promised every day a refund. They've told me every excuse under the sun; can't refund to credit card, so provided current acc details for bank transfer, evidence etc and they keep making excuses. Juts been constantly messed about. Rang Credit card company and they said it would take a few weeks to investigate.

Can I take this to the financial ombudsmen or higher?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskHome & LivingCar
14 Comments
As you found it cheaper within hours and wanted to cancel why didn't you call your credit card company and cancel the transaction?

Doesn't help your predicament but that IMO should have been your first action.

Anyhow, write to the insurance company, recorded delivery, and give them 14 days to refund you in full or you will expect them to refund any interest incurred on the credit card account, due to them not fulfilling there promise to refund within 8 days.
Go direct to the top customers service team get their email at ceoemail.com you normally get a email call within 24 hours but could need to go through their complaints process first.
Edited by: "eslick" 14th May
andynicol11 m ago

As you found it cheaper within hours and wanted to cancel why didn't you …As you found it cheaper within hours and wanted to cancel why didn't you call your credit card company and cancel the transaction?Doesn't help your predicament but that IMO should have been your first action.Anyhow, write to the insurance company, recorded delivery, and give them 14 days to refund you in full or you will expect them to refund any interest incurred on the credit card account, due to them not fulfilling there promise to refund within 8 days.

They took payment within 5 minutes, I didn't have a chance to cancel it.
eslick9 m ago

Go direct to the top customers service team get their email at …Go direct to the top customers service team get their email at ceoemail.com you normally get a email call within 24 hours but could need to go through their complaints process first.

I'll take a look at this. Already messed about enough with the complaints team. Thanks
Read the contract.

That will include a bit about the legally mandatory Cooling Off period. They do have the right to charge fees as laid out in the agreement. Probably an admin fee of £25-50.
ccnp1 h, 15 m ago

Read the contract. That will include a bit about the legally mandatory …Read the contract. That will include a bit about the legally mandatory Cooling Off period. They do have the right to charge fees as laid out in the agreement. Probably an admin fee of £25-50.

There's a cooling off period of 14 days. They already agreed to the refund, just the whole accounts department seem to be incompetent. First asked for account number and sort code, following day wanted proof (sent with address name etc), then next day said they had sent money until I sent them evidence of my statement showing otherwise, then said I didn't provide evidence of name and address which I provided the week before and reforwarded the email as proof.

Just in whole an absolute shambles of a company, everyone you speak to is a customer manager, but nobody has accountability or authority to do anything.
You need to give them reasonable time for the refund to process (which does not need to account for there broken processes). Call it 5 working days. Then complain. 8 weeks after the complaint, you can go to the ombudsman.

Next time, its worth paying on a credit card as that gives you S75 rights. That enables you to stir up trouble with the credit card merchant who lean heavily on the insurer or simply repay your money.
If you've got proof in writing they are going to refund and you paid by credit card then yes you can get your provider to initiate a chargeback. If my memory serves me right the company have 28 days from issuing a refund to actually processing it. Good luck. Company sound like a bunch of cowboys. Wonder if they would've dragged their heels of you'd had a claim
Name and Shame them....
mrty10 h, 56 m ago

Name and Shame them....

Exactly - who are they ? ?
zzzz30 m ago

Exactly - who are they ? ?

It's More Than. Not exactly a small firm.
ccnp14 h, 8 m ago

You need to give them reasonable time for the refund to process (which …You need to give them reasonable time for the refund to process (which does not need to account for there broken processes). Call it 5 working days. Then complain. 8 weeks after the complaint, you can go to the ombudsman.Next time, its worth paying on a credit card as that gives you S75 rights. That enables you to stir up trouble with the credit card merchant who lean heavily on the insurer or simply repay your money.

I did pay on credit card, as I said before they will take several weeks to investigate.
psychobitchfromhell13 h, 46 m ago

If you've got proof in writing they are going to refund and you paid by …If you've got proof in writing they are going to refund and you paid by credit card then yes you can get your provider to initiate a chargeback. If my memory serves me right the company have 28 days from issuing a refund to actually processing it. Good luck. Company sound like a bunch of cowboys. Wonder if they would've dragged their heels of you'd had a claim

I have email evidence.
master1031 m ago

I have email evidence.

Get in touch with your credit card company and explain that. It does take time because there are procedure that have to be followed but if get no joy with the insurance company, they should be able to help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants