What to do when CeX won't reply about a return

Found 3rd Jun 2016
I purchased ab expensive all aluminium Mac Pro from CeX two weeks ago, grade B. (So I expect some scratches, maybe a small ding in a side panel). The Mac showed up, and all it was packaged with was a single layer of bubblewrap in an oversized thin walled cardboard box. It was moving around inside quite easily.

When I opened it, it was warped, buckled and bent on every corner and side panel. Like, you know, it had traveled from one side of the country to another with no packaging..

I contacted CeX straight away letting them know and asking how to proceed. A week later, I contacted them again asking for a follow up. It's now two weeks later, my DSR period is expiring and I have had no reply.
I am aware that I can take it into a store - but it's a 15-20KG machine and I have no way of getting it there.

I want CeX to (more than reply) make a collection of the device for a refund, but I've had no contact. I've lodged a PayPal claim, but they have just told me to return it to CeX at my own ability and cost. I do not have materials to package this safely and I don't want to pay £50+ to ship it properly.

What are my options here?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Call PayPal and explain, they may be able to help!
Take it to your nearest CEX store. I got fobbed off with faulty goods from my local CEX. They are a bunch of ......! I hope you have better luck than i did. If they keep treating customers badly then hopefully they will lose business and be forced to close down.
Call them or go in store.
Just to clarify what did you buy an iMac or MacBook ?

It shouldn't cost that much to return it.

Call them or go in store. Just to clarify what did you buy an iMac or … Call them or go in store. Just to clarify what did you buy an iMac or MacBook ?It shouldn't cost that much to return it.

To yourself and Jamie Richardson, it's a Mac Pro. It's 41lbs, 19kgs - it's not practical to carry it to the store myself, and I can be damn sure they won't allow the staff to help me.
One of these bad boys:

http://bartkowalski.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mac-pro-06-front-back.jpg

That's my issue in returning it to a store.

Call them or go in store. Just to clarify what did you buy an iMac or … Call them or go in store. Just to clarify what did you buy an iMac or MacBook ?It shouldn't cost that much to return it.

Also - they don't have a number to call, or an email address - only a web form.
CEX Online is one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.
It took them literally 6 months to respond to a complaint form I'd sent them and their answer? Sorry it took so long, it's Christmas and a busy period.... For 6 months!!!!

Sports direct online are almost as bad so avoid them too.
Edited by: "SJHan" 3rd Jun 2016
0870 280 2396 found this number for them i dont know if its any good sorry
hotukdeals.com/tag…774
wecare@webuy.com seems to be the email address (possibly)

This is an old number 01923 228828 but may not work now.

This address seems to pop up too.
CEX Customer Service Contact Details
Postal address
Unit A, Greycaines House
21 Greycaines Road
WD24 7GP

But it seems your only option is to go to a store.
I briefly worked there (huge mistake). They explicitly stated in the contract that giving a phone number for a store out was a sackable offence, no right of appeal. Plainly because they hate customers who complained. Absolutely horrible company, I lasted two days and told them where to shove it.

Your best bet is just taking it to store, there will be one near you. It's not convenient, as you said, but it's the only way they'll do anything.
Take it to a store and ask for extra compensation for your time and travel costs, get progressively louder as you speak to them preferably on a busy Saturday may be beneficial so all other potential customers can hear
gwt in contact with your bank, and tell them the item recieved wasnt as describe and cex wont offer a refund, your cards insurance will probably cover it
Time to get in touch with Consumer helpline
Second to this question, does anyone know if my PayPal account will be blocked/restrictred/screwed up if I perform a chargeback?
other one i found in my emails when i had an issue was esolve@webuy.com

Second to this question, does anyone know if my PayPal account will be … Second to this question, does anyone know if my PayPal account will be blocked/restrictred/screwed up if I perform a chargeback?

I am really not sure whether "chargeback" can be used on a PayPal account.
As I understand it PayPal is a front end to your credit/debit card. PayPal was introduced to enable traders take money on-line for their goods/services without having to pay charges to the card companies - PayPals charges are cheaper. But as such I don't think they are a "credit" company like the standard ones are.
I may well be wrong -
By now you should be talking direct to PayPal or perhaps Consumer helpline in the first instance. They may even be able to make suggestions regarding the physical return.

I am really not sure whether "chargeback" can be used on a PayPal … I am really not sure whether "chargeback" can be used on a PayPal account.As I understand it PayPal is a front end to your credit/debit card. PayPal was introduced to enable traders take money on-line for their goods/services without having to pay charges to the card companies - PayPals charges are cheaper. But as such I don't think they are a "credit" company like the standard ones are.I may well be wrong - By now you should be talking direct to PayPal or perhaps Consumer helpline in the first instance. They may even be able to make suggestions regarding the physical return.

Thanks, I will speak to all necessary parties. I paid with my credit card, through PayPal, so chargebacks can still be done. If I win it, they remove the funds from the seller to pay the CC company.
Just suck it up and take it to a shop. Get a taxi if needs be.
Contact them on Facebook, they always have responded to me much quicker. You should get a reply within 24 hours no problem. Just ask them to arrange collection and return of the goods.

Edited by: "joshp" 3rd Jun 2016

tweet them, I have a twitter account pretty much only for complaining to stores. They should get back to you asap

or this

Just suck it up and take it to a shop. Get a taxi if needs be.

Edited by: "IamChris" 3rd Jun 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants