What to do with an illiterate ebayer?

I sold my old Xbox 360 elite on ebay, the buyer was annoyed that the controller supplied was white instead of black, and that there was no ethernet cable or scart lead (there was a more expensive HDMI cable instead) as i had advertised "with all leads"

in this case i'd happily refund the guy if he sent it back, i let him know this and he responded with

two cables are missing and the controller is WHITE when it should be black and therefore are not item as described so i want that scart lead and enthernet cable (which comes as standard with the xbox and yourself said comes with all cables!) and BLACK controller!! so can you sort this out! am very angry actually cos item is not as described as u didnt say the colour and ur pic shows that the controller is black and i was lead to believe that it is therefore black!

i told him to send it back for a refund

I dont agree with this. because it was your own fault that you did not put the item up as described. i now have proof from your own admission that the xbox did not come with all the original cables as well as white control... The contract itself has states... the seller accepts no returns so it is your responsibility to correct the faults, incuding sending me the two missing cables and black controller out of ur expenses or refund me the full amount cos i am unable to use the console! the refund would therefore enable me to get the correct parts for the xbox in order for us to gain the full use and bring it up to the correct value that i bought it for ie, replace the white controller to the black and so on! You must uphold your side of the contract which is legally binding by the ebay. i am sorry because i am not willing to pay for the postage for items with faults! i have saved all those emails and report it to pay pal and it is up to them to involve police or whatever cos it is fraud

(10 minutes later)

and dont get me wrong, i know what i am talking about cos i have a business degree and i know the laws of trade. so i would be grateful if you could correct this problem even it is out of your expenses because u entered into a contract. i am sorry mate
simeon

i again, told him to send it back for a full refund.

like i said, i aint paying for postage for nothing! so u have to get those parts and change the controller!

any advice on how to reach the poorly trained chimp? as if he does go through paypal they're likely to just take the money from my account and let him keep the Xbox.

38 Comments

you were in the wrong im afraid, as he said you specified all cables which means all cables, and a black controller, he is totally correct

you also stated no returns, so in this instance you will have to sort it out by providing him with all the cables and a black controller

To be fair, he is due an ethernet cable - so send him one.

Did you advertise the controller as white or black in the auction? How did you word the auction? ebay ref would be nice.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6308604

To be fair, he is due an ethernet cable - so send him one.Did you … To be fair, he is due an ethernet cable - so send him one.Did you advertise the controller as white or black in the auction? How did you word the auction? ebay ref would be nice.

just advertised as "including pad" and used the standard ebay elite photo (which to be fair includes a black pad)

cribert;6308584

you were in the wrong im afraid, as he said you specified all cables … you were in the wrong im afraid, as he said you specified all cables which means all cables, and a black controller, he is totally correctyou also stated no returns, so in this instance you will have to sort it out by providing him with all the cables and a black controller

i'd be happy to send him an ethernet cable, or if he returned the controller or the hdmi cable to replace those with the ones he's asking for, i think hes unreasonable to ask for "a full refund" of £130+ without returning it,

all cables would mean ethernet and scart. controller is not a cable. just send him the scart and ethernet cables. did you state that it comes with a black controller?

eca07mc;6308642

just advertised as "including pad" and used the standard ebay elite photo … just advertised as "including pad" and used the standard ebay elite photo (which to be fair includes a black pad)i'd be happy to send him an ethernet cable, or if he returned the controller or the hdmi cable to replace those with the ones he's asking for, i think hes unreasonable to ask for "a full refund" of £130+ without returning it,

Then it's totally your fault i'm afraid.
Yes, he cannot expect a full refund without returning the goods, but he shouldn't be out of pocket for any return postage costs.

I'd send him an ethernet cable and black controller, and ask that he then return the white controller and you will refund the postage cost once received.

eca07mc;6308642

just advertised as "including pad" and used the standard ebay elite photo … just advertised as "including pad" and used the standard ebay elite photo (which to be fair includes a black pad)i'd be happy to send him an ethernet cable, or if he returned the controller or the hdmi cable to replace those with the ones he's asking for, i think hes unreasonable to ask for "a full refund" of £130+ without returning it,

you will need to compensate him (dont know if this is possible) for the white controller or work something out

but you will have to send him the cables, try talking to him reasonably about the controller and see what he says, say it was a mistake on your part and apologise

Original Poster

chri1143;6308656

all cables would mean ethernet and scart. controller is not a cable. just … all cables would mean ethernet and scart. controller is not a cable. just send him the scart and ethernet cables. did you state that it comes with a black controller?

no i didn't say black controller as i knew it had a white one

i know what i am talking about cos i have a business degree

from Croydon college
LOL.

Just reply to him saying: Either send it back for a refund, or go through paypal...

(In which they will say, send the item back first for a full refund)

Win win

eca07mc;6308677

Doesn't matter, your pic showed a black controller, so unless you specifically said something like "stock photo" then the buyer can reasonably expect to receive the same as in the pic.

Babbabooey;6308700

Doesn't matter, your pic showed a black controller, so unless you … Doesn't matter, your pic showed a black controller, so unless you specifically said something like "stock photo" then the buyer can reasonably expect to receive the same as in the pic.

yep OP your in the wrong unfortunately, i dont see why people on ebay dont post actual pics of the items to reduce confusion

Item number ?.

Banned

Have you offered to refund him the postage if he returns everything to you or to at least pay his postage if he returns the controller & cable for you to replace?
If so then he's being unfair, if not then why do you expect him to be out of pocket for your mistake?
If he goes through paypal he will have to return the package before they refund him, but don't sign for anything from him that might look like it hasn't got the whole lot in!

pay for the postage to return the white controller, buy him the ethernet and black controller andsend him them along with a dictionary and some sort of calming drug!

eca07mc;6308677

You used a standard pic that showed the black one and didn't say anything and sent a white one.i'd be fuming too,the buyer shouldn't be out of pocket at all,this is your fault and needs to be rectified:roll:

Next time take your own picture of everything that is being sold as part of the package & list every individual part & cable to avoid this happening again.

eca07mc;6308677

But how was the buyer supposed to know this :?

You're completely in the wrong over this tbh. I think a partial refund would be the fairest thing to do.... the buyer has done no wrong, so why should they be out of pocket having to pay to return the item to you?

Original Poster

colinsunderland;6308707

Have you offered to refund him the postage if he returns everything to … Have you offered to refund him the postage if he returns everything to you or to at least pay his postage if he returns the controller & cable for you to replace?If so then he's being unfair, if not then why do you expect him to be out of pocket for your mistake?If he goes through paypal he will have to return the package before they refund him, but don't sign for anything from him that might look like it hasn't got the whole lot in!

Thats all i needed to know really, as long as i get it back i don't mind him getting a refund,

Example A - You buy a ferrarri, the picture in the showroom was of a red one, but when it arrives at your house it's pink.... Would you accept that?

Babbabooey;6308729

Example A - You buy a ferrarri, the picture in the showroom was of a red … Example A - You buy a ferrarri, the picture in the showroom was of a red one, but when it arrives at your house it's pink.... Would you accept that?

example b you buy a laptop with a generic pic then when received it has bashes all over it

tonyg1962;6308706

Item number ?.

+1.

Babbabooey;6308729

Example A - You buy a ferrarri, the picture in the showroom was of a red … Example A - You buy a ferrarri, the picture in the showroom was of a red one, but when it arrives at your house it's pink.... Would you accept that?

comparing a Ferrari to a xbox 360 controller? :thumbsup:

cribert;6308749

example b you buy a laptop with a generic pic then when received it has … example b you buy a laptop with a generic pic then when received it has bashes all over it

example b you buy a xbox 360 and get a PS3 WIN WIN

banthedrummer;6308764

example b you buy a xbox 360 and get a PS3 WIN WIN

PS3 plays Xbox games then does it?

banthedrummer;6308753

comparing a Ferrari to a xbox 360 controller? :thumbsup:

Where do i even use ferrarri and xbox 360 controller in the same sentence?? :thinking:

at the end of the day it doesnt matter if its an xbox or a ferrari its the same prinicipal

cribert;6308783

at the end of the day it doesnt matter if its an xbox or a ferrari its … at the end of the day it doesnt matter if its an xbox or a ferrari its the same prinicipal

At least you understand

Just to add....

illiterateAdjective1. unable to read and write

You even have the inability to describe your buyer correctly

When he goes through Paypal, as not as described, then they will make him return the package before they will refund him, so it's OK there. He can't go not received, as you have communications with him, save these, just incase, along with your proof of delivery.

Whether you refund his return postage is entirely up to you. You don't have to if you don't want.

tonyg1962;6308706

Item number ?.

I reckon this one: 290347543124

I'd be well annoyed as a buyer tbh.

Black Elite console, Comes with all cables, 120GB HDD and 1 wireless … Black Elite console, Comes with all cables, 120GB HDD and 1 wireless controllerAll fully tested and working, no history of RROD.Serial numbers will be recorded before postingPostage is 14.00

Babbabooey;6308792

At least you understand

:thumbsup:

dude, ebay/paypal will always find in favour of the buyer, you showed a black one, you sent a white one.. oops..

midlandscomics;6308824

I reckon this one: 290347543124I'd be well annoyed as a buyer tbh.

nice find big chap

would he be willing to send back the controller first? as long as you pay for postage though
that way you could receive the item pop into cex or gamestation, and do a trade for a black one, should cost you around £5, get some used cables from there too for maybes £4 total? not sure if he expects official cables though.
then send them to him, probably would cost you £15 or so

Apologise and give him the choice to either:
Return the white controller (you pay for postage due to your mistake) and you will send back a black controller and correct cables.

Pay him a certain amount because of the problem with the controller and you will send him the cables.

Total refund where you pay for return posting and packaging.

electriclinux;6309054

Apologise and give him the choice to either:Return the white controller … Apologise and give him the choice to either:Return the white controller (you pay for postage due to your mistake) and you will send back a black controller and correct cables. Pay him a certain amount because of the problem with the controller and you will send him the cables.Total refund where you pay for return posting and packaging.

+1

get him to send the controller back, get some black spray paint, and send it back.

*or just send the can of spraypaint*

try and agree a partial refund of say £15 he can keep the other controller as he probably wont return it to you if you do replace the controller and leads
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cool kettle Bosch kettle cashback won't work. Help!22
    2. Question for electrician on bathroom fan45
    3. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?45
    4. To buy Iphone 611

See more discussions