Groups

What to do with an old unused 80gb hard drive?

I have an 80gb unopened hard drive - Maxtor 3.5 model 6L080P0 PATA 133. Can I do anything useful with it (eg put it in a case and use as an external HDD) or is it difficult to do, or false economy?

8 Comments

Another option is to buy something like this :-

dealextreme.com/fee…917

Then you can always upgrade it to a SATA drive in the future too!

:santa:

Just grab a external hard drive housing and stick it in that
    very easy to do as done it with my old 2.5" 40gb from my ps3 so should be just the same with a 3.5" drive

Original Poster

NFS;7361548

Just grab a external hard drive housing and stick it in thatvery easy to … Just grab a external hard drive housing and stick it in thatvery easy to do as done it with my old 2.5" 40gb from my ps3 so should be just the same with a 3.5" drive

Thanks - wasn't sure if it was that easy or not. On Play the cases seem to be about 12pounds and either IDE or SATA - no idea what mine is!?

Alfie!;7361636

Thanks - wasn't sure if it was that easy or not. On Play the cases seem … Thanks - wasn't sure if it was that easy or not. On Play the cases seem to be about 12pounds and either IDE or SATA - no idea what mine is!?

PATA = IDE

convert an old xbox into a media center??? ok I'll go and get my coat now.

this would do the job if you dont mind waiting a week or two

dealextreme.com/det…999

Original Poster

cbryanp;7362095

this would do the job if you dont mind waiting a week or … this would do the job if you dont mind waiting a week or twohttp://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5999

Great price - but mine is a 3.5 not 2.5.

Alfie!;7362113

Great price - but mine is a 3.5 not 2.5.

lol woops i should really wear my glasses once in a while!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. HOMEBASE CLEARANCE SALE12
      2. Denon AVRX 2400H @ Peter Tyson £399.9934
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764555
      4. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …248808

See more discussions